Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree10Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 15th 2016, 09:26 PM   #11

Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
The idea is to get the temperature down, both when riding street and track. Riding here in Dubai where we can reach outside temps of 50 degrees in summer, the motor is running very hot whether street or track. I was looking towards whether any of the aftermarket radiators (and I can see there are many different brands out there) could provide more cooling than the stock radiator,which does not seem to supply sufficient cooling in this climate. Any advise would be highly appreciated.
Our climate here is also very hot in summer and agreed the cooling system just does not cut it .
I just leave my bike parked when it's too hot outside .

Old Aug 15th 2016, 09:40 PM   #12

I Ride: 1299 Base
Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
The idea is to get the temperature down, both when riding street and track. Riding here in Dubai where we can reach outside temps of 50 degrees in summer, the motor is running very hot whether street or track. I was looking towards whether any of the aftermarket radiators (and I can see there are many different brands out there) could provide more cooling than the stock radiator,which does not seem to supply sufficient cooling in this climate. Any advise would be highly appreciated.
Fubuer was testing a new lower radiator system, water only that was larger and comes with a custom fan from them. It's supposed to be plug and play. It should be ready by the end of August.

E-mail them and see if it's ready.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 09:57 PM   #13

With all due respect to jarelj, I would have to disagree. The correct verbiage should have been "engineered a bare minimum cooling system" to sell the bike. Saying you have never seen a bike overheat is like saying I have never seen someone drop dead of cancer. Correct. It kills you over time and you eventually succumb to the devastation. In the case of the 1199/1299 the bike will just shut off. In hotter climates this bike will hit 230. Sorry. Thats not acceptable. Duacti gave you a shitty OEM radiator just like the shitty OEM Brembo crap they use. It is what it is. You wonder why guys have coolant leaking out of seals, water pump failures, weep holes puking like a sorority girl at a frat party. I can tell you for a fact that riding this bike on the street with the radiator mods that I have done have made a HUGE difference in making this bike enjoyable on the street and not having to go with the "buck up little camper" its a Ducati, its supposed to make you question not buying an R1. The real bitch is that it would have cost Ducati nothing to use a 35mm core and modulate the fan a bit better. Ducati is a EUROPEAN motorcycle company. Im sure during the R&D in the hills of Bologna when it was snowing outside, the specs on the cooling were fine or at 130 on the test track where the CFM flow negated the shitty system however guess what? go tell that to the guy who just bought a 1299 in Dubai or Phoenix AZ in the summer time. The fact is that I could easily motor down the road on my 1000RR or my GSXR without effort long after my Ducati (in stock trim)had self diagnosed itself with terminal thermatics and killed itself. So no you don't need a radiator upgrade. Im sure MAC started making street versions because no one was asking for them. If you want a better 1199/1299 experience and you understand thermal engineering and the subsequent consequences of poor engineering, get the radiator and fix the fan. The engine is heat soaked by the time the fan kicks in. That thing should kick on when it still has the ability to keep things in the yellow. Last but certainly not least is the oil temps relation to the water temp. Thats for another day.
Thanks from wilkson, Thamer and Briese
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:09 PM   #14

Originally Posted by endodoc View Post
With all due respect to jarelj, I would have to disagree. The correct verbiage should have been "engineered a bare minimum cooling system" to sell the bike. Saying you have never seen a bike overheat is like saying I have never seen someone drop dead of cancer. Correct. It kills you over time and you eventually succumb to the devastation. In the case of the 1199/1299 the bike will just shut off. In hotter climates this bike will hit 230. Sorry. Thats not acceptable. Duacti gave you a shitty OEM radiator just like the shitty OEM Brembo crap they use. It is what it is. You wonder why guys have coolant leaking out of seals, water pump failures, weep holes puking like a sorority girl at a frat party. I can tell you for a fact that riding this bike on the street with the radiator mods that I have done have made a HUGE difference in making this bike enjoyable on the street and not having to go with the "buck up little camper" its a Ducati, its supposed to make you question not buying an R1. The real bitch is that it would have cost Ducati nothing to use a 35mm core and modulate the fan a bit better. Ducati is a EUROPEAN motorcycle company. Im sure during the R&D in the hills of Bologna when it was snowing outside, the specs on the cooling were fine or at 130 on the test track where the CFM flow negated the shitty system however guess what? go tell that to the guy who just bought a 1299 in Dubai or Phoenix AZ in the summer time. The fact is that I could easily motor down the road on my 1000RR or my GSXR without effort long after my Ducati (in stock trim)had self diagnosed itself with terminal thermatics and killed itself. So no you don't need a radiator upgrade. Im sure MAC started making street versions because no one was asking for them. If you want a better 1199/1299 experience and you understand thermal engineering and the subsequent consequences of poor engineering, get the radiator and fix the fan. The engine is heat soaked by the time the fan kicks in. That thing should kick on when it still has the ability to keep things in the yellow. Last but certainly not least is the oil temps relation to the water temp. Thats for another day.
Agreed . It's not like it's impossible for a big twin as my 1290 KTM's never had issues like the Panigale
Old Aug 15th 2016, 10:42 PM   #15

Can you retain the fan with the MAC all water radiator system? Is it both upper and lower
Old Aug 15th 2016, 11:02 PM   #16

Yes. Its a bolt on fit.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 11:04 PM   #17

Sorry yes the MAC all water "street" unit is upper and lower radiator and all the plumbing hardware.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 12:06 AM   #18

Originally Posted by endodoc View Post
Sorry yes the MAC all water "street" unit is upper and lower radiator and all the plumbing hardware.
How much of a drop should I expect with that set up, if you know.

Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2016, 01:42 AM   #19

Well I called MAC and ordered th water only. It's my third radiator from him so I think I qualified for the family discount

If someone can post the manual switch mod used for the fan that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Thanks from wilkson
Old Aug 16th 2016, 10:01 AM   #20

The fan thing is hokey at best but it does the job. I got a duplicate harness connector from Bike Sport Developments. It is wired into a Klixon circuit breaker (on the fan housing). I made an aluminum switch box with a carbon fiber plate and mounted it to the ignition cover screws. Also in the box are the toggle for the quick change dash function as that bar switch has been removed and a map switch for the RapidBike which is in the tail. Its not super pretty but very functional. When I get to a stop light or Im stuck in something and the temp starts climbing i switch it on usually at 190. It stays between 190-195 always (summer southern California). When I get moving again, I shut it off. Stays under 180 on the highway. The switch is wired right to the battery. There was some talk of maybe re calibrating the ECU to kick on sooner but I don't know if that went anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions in regards to upgrading radiators-img_0820.jpg   Questions in regards to upgrading radiators-img_1295.jpg  

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
questions, radiators, upgrading