Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree10Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 13th 2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Questions in regards to upgrading radiators

Looking at upgrading the radiators on the 15R to get a bit more cooling on the engine. Especially here in Dubai with 45 degrees outside, I think it would make sense. I can see that MAC makes a couple of different solutions. In this regard I have a few questions I hope some of you can provide a bit of clarity to:

1) Are there any difference between radiators used only for track versus street?

2) Any alternatives to MAC (better?)

3) Anything I should be aware of when purchasing radiators? (my knowledge is very limited in this respect - just looking to get the temps down).

FYI I will ask the local Ducati workshop to do the work.

Thanks for sharing a bit of knowledge.

Brgds

Old Aug 13th 2016, 12:04 PM   #2
MMC

I Ride: 2015 R, 1199 Tricolore, '12 MTS Pikes Peak
I had Boulder Motorsports install the Febur kit on my '15R...helps a bit...fan still intact...no complaints...track-only-
Old Aug 13th 2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Originally Posted by MMC View Post
I had Boulder Motorsports install the Febur kit on my '15R...helps a bit...fan still intact...no complaints...track-only-
and the reason it is track-only is what?

Brgds
Old Aug 13th 2016, 08:01 PM   #4

Its track only because the lower half is an oil cooler unless its a custom "water only unit. I have the MAC two piece water only with the stock fan. I also have the fan mounted on a switch. I initially had the MAC water upper and oil lower. It was a disaster on the street with the fan. Cooling the oil had no effect on engine temp as the fan does nothing for the upper radiator. Bike was fine at speed. Stop and go, forget it. The new setup is fantastic. for me it was a bolt on install. I used custom Samco hoses and did make some of my own pieces. No thermostat and i run engine Ice. This bike is a test bed for ideas and tech so I really wanted to see what the long term effects of cooler engine temps were on the internals compared to the standard cooling temp that can get into the upper 220's easily. So I switch the fan on at 190 (stop lights etc) it rarely gets over 193 dead of summer. On the highway 70 mph it hovers at 178. For me my temp issues are long gone. I am installing an external oil cooler as further experimentation.
Thanks from Seismic and 998sp
Old Aug 13th 2016, 11:11 PM   #5
MMC

I Ride: 2015 R, 1199 Tricolore, '12 MTS Pikes Peak
Bike is used only on track-just giving you context
Old Aug 14th 2016, 04:28 AM   #6

endodoc, I have 2 questions for you:

1. Why didn't you use the Mac WSBK kit?

2. What external oil cooler are you thinking about using?

Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2016, 11:01 AM   #7

Is it possible to run a upgraded radiator without a fan if also using the bike on the road, or will the lack of a fan make the bike too hot when stop-and-go?
Old Aug 14th 2016, 07:13 PM   #8

I did not use the MAC WSBK radiator for two reasons. 1 the lower half is an oil cooler and two the two piece is a virtual bolt on and its a street bike so it has to have the fan shroud for the bodywork. Yes you have to run a fan on the street. If you want to run the water and oil cooler combo as it ships, your going to have to figure out a way to mount some fans on the upper. Pulling air through the oil cooler does nothing for water temp. I had a small custom oil cooler made that is going to mount between the upper and lower radiator on the fan shroud. It looks completely factory and fits like a glove. It has -8 an ports that run to the oil cooler plate that MAC provides. This should give me everything I wanted.
Thanks from BRV1347, Thamer and GunMoto
Old Aug 15th 2016, 06:36 PM   #9
Site Sponsor

I Ride: V4S and Ninja 400. Dichotomy.
If you have a street bike, you don't need to upgrade your radiator. Ducati engineered the radiator just fine with a fan for street use. I have never seen or heard of a Panigale overheating on the street. I've witnessed and heard of several race bikes overheating on the track, so I think it's a good idea. The rear head gasket tends to blow when they overheat, and the stock system is particularly susceptible to having bubbles in the coolant for some reason, it's a challenge to bleed it all out.
Thanks from Seismic
Old Aug 15th 2016, 09:19 PM   #10

Originally Posted by jarelj View Post
If you have a street bike, you don't need to upgrade your radiator. Ducati engineered the radiator just fine with a fan for street use. I have never seen or heard of a Panigale overheating on the street. I've witnessed and heard of several race bikes overheating on the track, so I think it's a good idea. The rear head gasket tends to blow when they overheat, and the stock system is particularly susceptible to having bubbles in the coolant for some reason, it's a challenge to bleed it all out.
The idea is to get the temperature down, both when riding street and track. Riding here in Dubai where we can reach outside temps of 50 degrees in summer, the motor is running very hot whether street or track. I was looking towards whether any of the aftermarket radiators (and I can see there are many different brands out there) could provide more cooling than the stock radiator,which does not seem to supply sufficient cooling in this climate. Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
questions, radiators, upgrading