Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree9Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 6th 2017, 07:54 PM   #1

I Ride: 1199S Tri
More issues with my Panigale..

Well, im into the third month of ownership of my Panigale (12' 10,800 odo) and am ready to pull my hair out. Rode the bike a bit this afternoon (hot day if that matters) and went outside to garage it to find yet another issue. a small amount of oil in the driveway.

I would be EXTREMELY appreciative if somebody with an eye for this condition could help me understand what im looking at. To me, it looks like very small leaks from the oil pan. not enough to pool (until today) but enough to vapor and leave residual on the bike itself. the more I look around, the more oil I find in little nooks/crannys. attached photos of the issue.

I performed an oil change roughly 400 miles ago where three bond and appropriate torque specs were used as advised and new o-rings/crush washer was installed. no oil appears to be coming from the drain or oil filter cover. most looks to pooling up near the oil filter cover/underbelly drain which I believe is for tank pressure ventilation?

This condition was obviously present when I purchased the bike. The first time I took the fairings off I noticed dried oil throughout the case/in different areas. But I thought little of it as I didn't see any fresh oil about after the first couple hundred miles.

I don't know anyone in my area with a panigale so my resources are limited to this forum. I am very thankful for anyone who affords any time to my problems (past/present ) and any insight you guys can offer me.

Last edited by tyguidry; Jun 6th 2017 at 07:57 PM.

Old Jun 6th 2017, 11:50 PM   #2

I Ride: 1199 Panigale S (2014)
I am quite new to this bike but I recently installed DP carbon generator and clutch covers. At the same time I checked torque on all magnesium engine case bolts (I could reach). I noticed that on generator side all bolts was tight but on the clutch side and oil pan I had to retighten bolts to correct torque specs.

Coming from an Aprilia RSV4 Factory I has learned that magnesium engine case covers needs to be retightened at least once a year (or rather as often as you have the bodywork off). I did not experience any oil leakages on that bike (or now on my Panigale) but sooner or later it will occur if you do not look after magnesium engine casing bolt torques.
Thanks from tyguidry
Old Jun 7th 2017, 03:46 AM   #3

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Same thing looking for a car oil leak, degrease everywhere so its perfect then start the bike and see where the leak is coming from.
Thanks from XCLR8TN
Old Jun 7th 2017, 05:36 AM   #4

I Ride: 1299S
As has been suggested I would degrease the bike thoroughly including any dried on oil deposits, ensuring all the areas you wish to inspect are totally dry. When you run the bike place it on a paddock stand so it is level. Look for oil leaks from the top down, starting at the cylinder head cam cover gaskets and work your way down. Use some clean white lint free cloth and dab it on any areas that show any evidence of leaking. If any oils pools in that area again, you can start to pin point the source. Remember that in any airflow the oil may be dispersed over other parts of the engine, so may not necessarily emanate from where it is evident.

If an oil change was performed, did you or the previous owner/dealer change the oil filter cap O-rings? Did you re-seal the oil pan yourself? There is quite alot of bonding agent on there. You only need to use a small amount and should apply it when the engine is completely cold. Mating surfaces must be scrupulously clean before you apply it, both the engine and the pan. Torque all screws evenly as per the workshop manual. If you do decide to drop the oil pan you might as well clean the oil filter mesh inside the pan as well (again all the details are in the manual). You can downlaod a copy here: Workshop Manuals

Again, good advice to check the engine casing mag covers as well. One loose bolt is enough to cause a leak. I noticed you have also circled an area under the front cyl head, so get a decent torch in there and check the base of the barrel (where it butts up to the crankcase and the mag head cover gasket (a known weak point).
Thanks from tyguidry

Last edited by topolino; Jun 7th 2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 02:06 PM   #5

I Ride: 13, white 1199 S, 10 Husaberg 450FE
use brake parts cleaner and spray the engine down, run and inspect origin of leakage

Common places are valve covers on this bike.
Thanks from Phl
Old Jun 7th 2017, 05:28 PM   #6

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Don't use brake parts cleaner it will f*ck the surface/eat plastic, degreaser is cheaper and designed to degrease.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:11 PM   #7

I Ride: 1199S Tri
pulled the plastics off, wiped everything I could reach. phoned the dealer I purchased the bike from. It will probably go back to them for now the third time in three months. getting sick of this.

Going to put a few hundred more miles on the bike during some of the hotter days to see what results i can get, if any. Its tough because when I looked the bike over again today I can't pinpoint any one area. it just looks like the leak is subtle, vapors catch air and sticks to whatever it hits. I dont know.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 08:49 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
Don't use brake parts cleaner it will f*ck the surface/eat plastic, degreaser is cheaper and designed to degrease.
Don't spray it on plastic, and good brakes parts cleaner is designed not to eat anything. If you are searching leaks you strip plastic off anyway.

Carb cleaner eats plastic.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 08:51 AM   #9

Originally Posted by tyguidry View Post

Going to put a few hundred more miles on the bike .

You should clean, ride 5 minutes and inspect, if you put a few hundred miles you will tear it a part and it will look the same as it does now.

So ride it 5 minutes and search. Repeat until you see oil and chase it back tp origin.

Not to difficult
Thanks from Pouakai
Old Jun 8th 2017, 09:08 AM   #10

I Ride: 2017 Hypermotard 939sp, 2016 Panigale 2008 ZX10R 2006 ZX10R 1999 ZX7R
After you clean it really really well, you can dust some baby powder around the suspected area. Run the engine and observe if the baby powder becomes moist with oil.

SingleSlided
Thanks from tyguidry

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
issues, panigale