Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 20th 2012, 01:31 PM   #11

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Base Model
I put a plug on my 848 last year and rode on the street and drag strip just fine. After the excess wore off it blended right in with the tire and no air leaks.

It was the type of plug bought in a gas station and you bore the hole out and put a piece of tar strip with rubber cement in. I didn't trust plugs before that, but it was a new tire and I didn't want to fork over the cash to buy another new one. After that I trust in those type of plugs completely and it did its job. I wanted to experiment to see how well it could be trusted. If you have the money I would say buy a new one. But the plug lasted the entire life of the tire and I trust in them now.

Old Dec 20th 2012, 02:12 PM   #12
SPJ

Purely for track use I'd replace it. For the road I've had to resort to plugs a few times and never had a problem.

In fact I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a plug. A friend who commutes a lot uses sticky string, just leaves it in until the tyre is knackered and has tested it to 150mph+... wouldn't recommend it but probably demonstrates that the carcasses are pretty resilient now.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 02:28 PM   #13

I Ride: Panigale R
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
For street riding I wouldn't have a problem with a plug. If you want extra security you can pull the tire and patch from the inside.

WOuldn't use a plugged tire for track but I had a friend that did! Worried about him until he finally wore the tire out and I mounted a new one for him.
+1 for patch. Its the way to go specially for a motorcycle. Plugs will hold the air but you have to cut through more of the Layers And chords and compromise the tires integrity to plug it. Motorcycle tires bend and contorques at different angles at high speeds I wouldn't want to be on a bike when the tire starts to come apart.

Last edited by ScrapperX; Dec 20th 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 02:44 PM   #14

I Ride: 1199 base (not abs)
plug / patch from inside

I have plugged tyres myself and they have been fine until finally needed replacing. I had a nail in my new panigale tyre so took to dealer who took it off and fixed from inside. Mind you I have had nails / screws in tyres in past and just made sure they they were below surface and monitored and stayed until tyre needed replacing, but just me. If worried always replace. Ac
Old Dec 20th 2012, 04:07 PM   #15

I Ride: '15 1299 Base, '15 R1, '16 Arctic Cat ZR8000RR
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Purely for track use I'd replace it. For the road I've had to resort to plugs a few times and never had a problem.

In fact I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a plug. A friend who commutes a lot uses sticky string, just leaves it in until the tyre is knackered and has tested it to 150mph+... wouldn't recommend it but probably demonstrates that the carcasses are pretty resilient now.
Same here....yet to see a bad plug! Caught a nail in mine after 250km, plugged it and rode it on street and track, no problem.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:47 PM   #16

Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
I rode on a plug for a couple thousand miles, but that's just me. Obviously it's smarter to replace the tire, but I commute daily on my bikes and didn't have time to run out to the dealer for a replacement for a while.
Had a nail on my tire when my 1199 "S" had 2,800kms on it...removed my rear wheel, had them remove the rear tire from the rim...pulled out the nail, had tire dealer install a cold patch in the inner portion of the tire where nail was.

I've done 2 trackdays and have put on many kilometers on it with no issues. My bike now had 5,400kms and my rear tire will need replacing soon...not due to the repair, but due to it being worn out...

I've done it in the past even with 2 patches on the rear tire on my previous bike...not a problem. Depends on the puncture though...mine were small diameter nails. I just usually check the tire pressures from time to time. Now having more than 2 patches on it...I may think of replacing my tire...

Tire will never blow...its tubeless...worse can happen is, the patch will not seal the hole well and you will get air leaking out from the repair...Most experienced riders can feel and will know when the bike handles differently, squirmming, wallowing or feels a bit sluggish, then they know its a soft rear tire.

Had no issues at all with repaired rear tires in the past.

Last edited by mig1199; Dec 20th 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 06:58 AM   #17

I Ride: 1199 Panigale Base with ABS
Thank you everyone for all the great info! I really appreciate it!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 05:41 AM   #18

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
well what is the final verdict? does it depend on the person, becuse i found small nail in my tire yesterday while on a full day ride. and i didn't have second thought about plugging. I dont want to spend the $400 for 1 new tire now, i'll finish out the season i have left first. I just started to notice that my tires are looking a little worn down? AT 4300 miles? am i nuts? how did everyone else do on there tires?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 06:43 AM   #19

I Ride: '12 1199 S ABS, '03 ST4S
To patch or not to patch ...

Originally Posted by Zaid1199 View Post
well what is the final verdict? does it depend on the person, becuse i found small nail in my tire yesterday while on a full day ride. and i didn't have second thought about plugging. I dont want to spend the $400 for 1 new tire now, i'll finish out the season i have left first. I just started to notice that my tires are looking a little worn down? AT 4300 miles? am i nuts? how did everyone else do on there tires?
No final verdict, really - it all depends on your comfort level. I've plugged/patched a street-only tire and the repair lasted for the life of the tire. Others advocate for street only and never on a tracked tire. Some say never, ever. Your call.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 07:09 AM   #20
alb

I Ride: '12 1199 ABS
Its in the center so I'd get it repaired.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
plug