Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree12Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 1st 2018, 03:01 PM   #11

Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
Hi all, I just had to go back to this thread because I've learned some other aspects of warmers that I didn't before.
First off, I've heard from a very repected source that the warmers should be left on high all day. Therefore, that eliminates the need for a dual temp warmer except if you're riding on a pretty cool day or rain in which your not getting up to the 180 degree range and therefore should use the lower setting. This second part is my own deduction from learning they should be left on high all day. What do you guys think?
My next question is...are there any warmers that can actually be left on all day??? The ones I've seen all say to not run for more than 4 hours. I'd rather not take them off the warmers during lunch and create another heat cycle when I could just leave them on all day...

-Jack

I have dual temp chicken hawks.

I put them on as soon as I can in the morning, always at least an hour before my first session, and I leave them on all day unless I'm on track.

20 minute sessions on the hour every hour, so the warmers are on for 40 mins at a time from about 8am to 5pm.

Also, when I first turn them on in the morning, I always start on medium and then go to high. This is my own anecdotal process because I prefer to warm them up slowly vs. straight to high temp. Whether it's good, bad, or irrelevant I don't know, but it's just how I do it.
Thanks from Dingo

Old Feb 2nd 2018, 06:07 AM   #12
Site Sponsor

I Ride: Shopping for a new track bike...
First you have to think about why you're using tire warmers. If you're a racer, you may be doing it to ensure you have maximum grip for the 1st lap of a race. Jorge couldn't launch those 1st lap flyers without using tire warmers. If you're using them at a track day, you might mistakenly believe you're doing the same thing, but in reality the primary reason to run warmers is to extend your tire life. Most track day riders are not going to (and shouldn't) go out at race pace on the 1st lap, that's just stupid and asking for trouble. Cold tearing (even on a hot day) is the most destructive force to your tires at a track day, and it occurs in the first two laps generally. So what does it take to minimize cold tearing? Proper tire pressure is actually #1, but #2 is tire temp. So what temp is required to minimize (I won't say prevent, because that's virtually impossible) cold tearing? THAT depends on the ambient and track temp. On a very hot sunny day, the natural warming of the carcass and surface temp of the tire will occur faster, and you're less likely to see cold tearing (assuming proper pressure). So if you just get the tire heated up above say 150 degrees, you aren't likely to see much cold tearing as long as you're not hamfisted with the throttle on the 1st lap. If it's a very cold day, you'll get the double whammy of excess wheelspin on the rear, as well as cold tearing. So getting the tire HOT before heading out is even more important so it can retain more heat. The general recommendation we give (at least for Pirelli and Bridgestone race tires that we sell) is IF you have dual-temp warmers, put them on high before your first session for 45 minutes, and then the rest of the day leave them on Medium all the time, ensuring you put the warmers back on as soon as you get off the track. IF it's a very cold day, then do the same thing, but switch back to High 15 minutes before you head out for each session to get some extra heat in them. Don't leave them on High all day, as a race tire vendor the only time I would tell you to do that would be if I wanted to sell you more tires! Tires DO NOT need to be held at 180+ degrees at rest. Have you ever seen someone pull the warmers off their tire, and you can literally see the lines on the tire where the heating elements in the tire warmer have been searing the tire surface for an hour? Not good. I've seen premature wear from that so many times, I can't even count, usually just someone assuming that if "warm" is good, then "hot" must be better. It's not. If you have single-temp warmers that only have a High setting, then you want to use them for 45 minutes before first session, when you get back in from track put the warmers back on but don't plug them in, then plug them back in 15-20 minutes before you head back out, sort of "mimicking" the function of dual-temp warmers.

Personally I have used Woodcraft dual-temp warmers for as long as I can remember, those you can leave plugged in all the time as they have a disconnect switch built in that turns them off when they're removed from the bike. There might be others on the market that offer that function now, I'm not sure since I've never bothered to check since I like the Woodcrafts.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 07:10 AM   #13

Very interesting, so you're saying the lower temp is the primary setting that should be used throughout the day. That's very different to what I've heard so far. When you say 'we suggest', do you mean you work for a tire vendor?

-Jack
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 07:12 AM   #14

Nevermind Jerelj, just saw your profile, I've ordered many times from your store! And yes the dual temp woodcrafts are ones I've also been looking at.

-Jack
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:43 AM   #15
Site Sponsor

I Ride: Shopping for a new track bike...
Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
Very interesting, so you're saying the lower temp is the primary setting that should be used throughout the day. That's very different to what I've heard so far. When you say 'we suggest', do you mean you work for a tire vendor?

-Jack
There are always lots of opinions out there on these things since much of it is subjective and based upon experience. If any mention tire warmer usage in isolation without mentioning tire pressure, then I'd say you can comfortably ignore their advice. If you have a local race tire vendor who you trust and you buy your tires from, they will always be your best resource since they will know the local track conditions, which are all unique.
Thanks from Dingo

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
tire, warmer