Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree2Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 7th 2018, 08:56 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Chicago

Posts: 4
Thanks: 0

Differences in running costs? (1199s vs 959)

Hey everyone,

As the title states, are there big differences in the running costs of an 1199s over a 959? I imagine the 1199s goes through tires a bit quicker, and the tires themselves will be more expensive, but other than that?

Dealer near me has a '12 1199s with 5.5k miles going for $13k, and a '16 959 with 2.5k miles going for $12.5k. The 959 is stock. The 1199s has an exhaust by Phl, integrated tail lights, front mirror delete, new tires, and a couple other little things.

I'm coming from a Ninja ZX-6r. The 959 seems like the logical first step, but that 1199s... Never owned a Duc before, so wanted to ask y'all.

Cheers!
nickname89 is offline  
 
Old Jan 7th 2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
double0's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,293
Thanks: 1373

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2007 CBR600RR, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
Running costs will be the same. Tires are almost the same price. The main difference you want to ask yourself is about warranty. Will the dealer offer you an extended warranty on the 1199 even though it's over 5 years old? Either way, the logical thing to do would be the 959 in this scenario and add the extended warranty for peace of mind. Repairs are not cheap on any Panigale. If you aren't in a rush, decent deals pop up on the forums where they are getting rid of their gently used bikes for a newer model. If you can't wait, 959 should be calling you. It's a great package n more than capable n better in some situations than an 1199.
Thanks from oracle462
double0 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Chicago

Posts: 4
Thanks: 0

Originally Posted by double0 View Post
Running costs will be the same. Tires are almost the same price. The main difference you want to ask yourself is about warranty. Will the dealer offer you an extended warranty on the 1199 even though it's over 5 years old? Either way, the logical thing to do would be the 959 in this scenario and add the extended warranty for peace of mind. Repairs are not cheap on any Panigale. If you aren't in a rush, decent deals pop up on the forums where they are getting rid of their gently used bikes for a newer model. If you can't wait, 959 should be calling you. It's a great package n more than capable n better in some situations than an 1199.
I believe the guy there said they would be able to do a 3 year warranty, and hopefully that's true.

Do you not think that is a decent deal for the 1199? Are the deals on the forum that much better? And yeah, not in a rush with this Chicago winter
nickname89 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
double0's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
From: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,293
Thanks: 1373

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2007 CBR600RR, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
Price isn't bad. If i was in the market, I wouldn't buy a used 1st year model that was almost 6yrs old. I'd look for a 2014 1199 if I had to have an 1199. Seems like you're already sold on the 1199 but logically it makes more sense to get the 959. That's just what I'd do.
double0 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Chicago

Posts: 108
Thanks: 5

Originally Posted by nickname89 View Post
I believe the guy there said they would be able to do a 3 year warranty, and hopefully that's true.



Do you not think that is a decent deal for the 1199? Are the deals on the forum that much better? And yeah, not in a rush with this Chicago winter


Which dealer? Iím a Chicago 899 owner ! We should ride once the weather is nice and youíve picked up your Duc!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oracle462 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:38 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Chicago

Posts: 4
Thanks: 0

Originally Posted by oracle462 View Post
Which dealer? Iím a Chicago 899 owner ! We should ride once the weather is nice and youíve picked up your Duc!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey! I'd definitely be up for some rides once this winter has passed, haha. I've got a friend with a Duc out in the burbs who I know would be up for riding, too!

The bikes I'm looking at are at Windy City Triumph in St Charles. MCC in Villa Park also has a new 959 that I may take a look at.

Where did you get yours? Also, have you taken it anywhere to get work done? Need to figure out a good place to have things done if I need it.
nickname89 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:59 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2016
From: Chicago

Posts: 108
Thanks: 5

Originally Posted by nickname89 View Post
Hey! I'd definitely be up for some rides once this winter has passed, haha. I've got a friend with a Duc out in the burbs who I know would be up for riding, too!



The bikes I'm looking at are at Windy City Triumph in St Charles. MCC in Villa Park also has a new 959 that I may take a look at.



Where did you get yours? Also, have you taken it anywhere to get work done? Need to figure out a good place to have things done if I need it.


Cool! I currently store my bike in Naperville, even though I live in the city, so thatíll make for easy meet ups! I bought from Motoworks and have had work done at MCC and Motoworks. PM me for specific questions about each, nice guys at both.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oracle462 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 07:36 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2017
From: Dallas

Posts: 16
Thanks: 2

I Ride: 1199s
Just to give you an idea. Purchased my 1199s used with 6k miles. Just did the 7500 mile service and new chain, total out the door was $600 bucks. Previously owned an MV F3 800, loved the bike but maintenance was astronomical due to all the issues I had with it. Dont see that being the case with my Duc.
Thanks from oracle462
Pump Fake is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:45 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2018
From: Chicago

Posts: 4
Thanks: 0

Originally Posted by Pump Fake View Post
Just to give you an idea. Purchased my 1199s used with 6k miles. Just did the 7500 mile service and new chain, total out the door was $600 bucks. Previously owned an MV F3 800, loved the bike but maintenance was astronomical due to all the issues I had with it. Dont see that being the case with my Duc.
Cheers for that! What year is your 1199s?
nickname89 is offline  
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: Wisconsin

Posts: 124
Thanks: 25

I Ride: 1199s Panigale
Panigale 1199s

Pm sent.
gar1moto is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199s, 959, costs, differences, running



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differences between Ducati V4 and V4S Veteran Ducati V4 28 Dec 21st 2017 09:39 PM
Differences between 1299 and 1299S Nev3rL8 Ducati 1299 49 Sep 7th 2016 01:50 AM
Differences in brakes Pani Dropper Ducati 1199 2 Sep 25th 2013 05:55 PM
Differences in same model for different states? Calitrade9 Ducati 1199 6 Jan 26th 2013 12:34 PM
Running costs: ride an 1199 for free? luke Ducati 1199 26 Aug 20th 2012 12:24 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed