Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree10Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 9th 2013, 06:15 AM   #1

I Ride: 12' Base ABS, 12 MTS PP, 05 Big Dog Bulldog
Marzocchi Fork Cartridges OEM

Here are some pics of the OEM Marzocchi Fork cartridges. I am very impressed with the quality of the design and coatings. The design is very interesting. It has a inital adjustable preload collar, nice hard anodizing and DLC shaft coatings. Not too far off what off road Marzocchi forks are. Alot of guys think that the bladders are pressurized and this is not the case. When the fork is compressed fluid is actually displaced into the bladder. By doing this, when the cartridge is in the fork tube it with air volume around it, it causes pressure on the bladder(aka resistance). By doing this, it basically is like having a pressurized "shock" which will prevent cavitation on compression spikes.

Now, the problem I found with them after dynoing one to see what kind of forces they make was they are so soft. The rebound adjuster has very little range. The compression adjuster works but is difficult to hold it in full stiff position when on the dyno. I believe the rebound has very little range due to the extremely low forces produced from the valving. I am going to try to revalve them and redyno them to see if this will increase the percentage of adjustability.
Attached Thumbnails
Marzocchi Fork Cartridges OEM-photo-4.jpg   Marzocchi Fork Cartridges OEM-photo-1.jpg   Marzocchi Fork Cartridges OEM-photo-2.jpg   Marzocchi Fork Cartridges OEM-photo-5.jpg  
Thanks from Steve B, EvoL, JeffD and 2 others

Old Jan 9th 2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Is the positive force = downstroke/ compression stroke?

If that's the case, full comp damping vs zero comp damping only has an effect once reach certain force/ at 10in/sec? Does that mean the low speed compression is indifferent regarding the setting, only affects high speed compression?

Please help.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 08:00 PM   #3

I Ride: all the bikes....
I'm interested in this also as I too think the adjustment on both compression and rebound are almost useless. It's as if Ducati decided what was right and said ok, let the rider make a 5% change +/-
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 09:25 PM   #4

I Ride: '12 1199, '13 KTM990SMT
+1. Thanks much for sharing this; very interesting bit about how the bladders function. Should be able to make some progress with oil weights before revalving if you know what you want on the dyno, but definitely not a lot of adjustability there. Not surprising for an OEM application since manufacturers don't want people to be able to muck things up too badly. Liability concerns...

Forgot to add: I'd love to see the rear Sachs on a dyno as well if you could manage it. Nothing like having some real data!

Last edited by Steve B; Feb 3rd 2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 07:32 PM   #5

Great info, love it when things can be compared with data.

Gilesr6, have you made anymore progress on the re-valving? It would be awesome to get ahold of a Dyno run for the 30mm Ohlins cartridges and try to match that with re-valving the stock cartridges.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Thank for the scientific data, much better than my butt dyno. Cannot wait to see the re-valve results.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:35 PM   #7

Hi,

How could you separate the cartridge? I have no adjustable rebound and compression settings.
Many thanks.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 02:19 PM   #8

I Ride: kx450f & 1199 panigale
Originally Posted by KippancsKata View Post
Hi,

How could you separate the cartridge? I have no adjustable rebound and compression settings.
Many thanks.
That's because they are junk! Buy a set of ohlins cartridges, you won't regret it.
Thanks from farmind and KippancsKata
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 12:18 PM   #9

First, i like to repare it. But...
Thanks from wfoduck
Old Oct 4th 2016, 05:02 AM   #10

I has four replacement sets and gave up and had to pay for ohlins myself, its junk and I threw mine in the bin, on the plus side they are mega light if you dont mine riding a 200hp 300kph jack hammer!
Thanks from wfoduck

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
cartridges, fork, marzocchi, oem

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.