Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Calderara di Reno
  • 1 Post By able duc
  • 1 Post By Steve B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 20th 2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Replacing Marzocchi forks with....?

Hi there guys,

So recently I had somebody try setting up the suspension on my '13 1199.... Everything went fine until he was messing with the rebound. No rebound at all!

Started doing some research and found out that is a common problem with the 1199 base (Marzocchi forks).

He tried to fix the issue but then once he opened them he mentioned something about them being "pressurized" or something like that (sorry forks are not my forte) and that there is a piece that wears out with time and there is no way to access it or replace the part, making the forks pretty much useless. He is very knowledgeable guy and works on suspensions for a lot of race teams. I don't know how experienced he is with Ducati but whatever he said I believe him. What are your thoughts about that?

He also mentioned GpSuspension cartridge kit and said it is pretty good but the price that on those with springs is around $1,300 (almost the same as Nix30). He said it's better than the Ohlins kit because the "Ohlins Nix30 is an open cartridge fork and the GPSuspension is also but it has a base valve which is a third valve that makes the front end more plush. The nix 30 is a bit harsh because its only 1 piston for compression and 1 piston for rebound". To me that was just blah blah blah because I know nothing about the subject.

Anyway, long story short. I dont want to do a cartridge kit, no matter what brand it is because I dont want to re-use my Marzocchi tubes. I don't want the coating on those pieces of craps to start deteriorating after spending $1k+ on some cartridge kit.

So, what do you guys recommend I should get. This is my street bike just to cruise around town and go to the canyons once in a while. I have a dedicated track bike so I dont need to go crazy with the best suspension on the 1199, I just want something reliable that can be set up to my weight and that is not over kill with the OEM rear shock because I dont wanna replace that one as well.

Thanks for reading!

Old Apr 20th 2018, 01:23 PM   #2

Actually the M forks aren't to bad, and generally the shock is the crap end with the base model 1199. I haven't heard of the coating being of any problem. If you go down the path of replacing the whole fork be aware you will probably have to change the triple clamps out to suit the new fork diameter . I'd suggest getting a suspension kit that is designed for your bike and your weight and valved for the road .
To many kits are orientated for the customer upgrading to track performance , so specify you want road set up. Any good brand will adapt to a track day with acouple of clicks stiffer .
Thanks from rrgermanlv
Old Apr 20th 2018, 02:13 PM   #3

I Ride: '12 1199, '13 KTM990SMT
Had the same issue when my Marzocchi's rebound went away. Was going to put some Ohlins forks on it to match the TTX I'd put on back, but ran across a great deal on a set of virtually new Showa BPF's off an 899 and thought I'd give 'em a try just out of curiosity. Suffice to say they're still on there; it's a good fork with a huge installed base on many sportbikes, which means there are lots of parts and upgrade paths for them if you feel the need. They're the new base fork on the V4, as well as being used on the 959, so your Ducati techs will be familiar with them if that matters to you. They're easy to work on as well.

Lower triple clamp is the same, but you'll have to change the upper triple clamp as the diameter is smaller than the Marzocchis. An upper clamp for any of the V2 Panigales using Ohlins or Showa forks will work. Of course that means new clipons as well, for the same reason. Axle spacers, etc. all are a fit as is. The fork length overall is a bit less, so you'll need to be mindful of that. I had enough of the Marzocchis showing above the clamps that I just ran the Showas flush to match the front ride height.

You can pick up a set of forks, clamp and clipons off eBay cheap; might not be as bling as a set of FGR300's, but you WILL have damping!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 02:21 PM   #4

Funny because I messaged earlier my buddy who happens to be a Ducati master tech and he told me the Showas BPF's were pretty good...! I'll do some research, just kinda hate to build something around the bike to make it work instead of just replacing one thing with the other....

Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Had the same issue when my Marzocchi's rebound went away. Was going to put some Ohlins forks on it to match the TTX I'd put on back, but ran across a great deal on a set of virtually new Showa BPF's off an 899 and thought I'd give 'em a try just out of curiosity. Suffice to say they're still on there; it's a good fork with a huge installed base on many sportbikes, which means there are lots of parts and upgrade paths for them if you feel the need. They're the new base fork on the V4, as well as being used on the 959, so your Ducati techs will be familiar with them if that matters to you. They're easy to work on as well.

Lower triple clamp is the same, but you'll have to change the upper triple clamp as the diameter is smaller than the Marzocchis. An upper clamp for any of the V2 Panigales using Ohlins or Showa forks will work. Of course that means new clipons as well, for the same reason. Axle spacers, etc. all are a fit as is. The fork length overall is a bit less, so you'll need to be mindful of that. I had enough of the Marzocchis showing above the clamps that I just ran the Showas flush to match the front ride height.

You can pick up a set of forks, clamp and clipons off eBay cheap; might not be as bling as a set of FGR300's, but you WILL have damping!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 02:30 PM   #5

I Ride: 2013 1199S
Problem is to fix the shitty marzocchi forks the answer is a ohlins cartridge kit.

Lots and lots of people have issues with those marzocchi forks
Old Apr 20th 2018, 02:34 PM   #6

Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
Problem is to fix the shitty marzocchi forks the answer is a ohlins cartridge kit.

Lots and lots of people have issues with those marzocchi forks
I think that's the route I will be taking at the end of the day.....
Old Apr 20th 2018, 04:13 PM   #7

I Ride: 1199 - - - - - - - - - R1200GS Rallye X - - - - - Sherco 300SEF-R - - - - -
If it was me, and this is what I actually did. Grab a set of Íhlins forks with NIX 30mm already fitted, they do come up quite a bit used and I'm really happy with the results.

I looked at different cartridges to bung into my forks but ended up getting the Íhlins with NIX for the same money, just a thought.
Thanks from rrgermanlv
Old Apr 21st 2018, 11:33 AM   #8

I Ride: '12 1199, '13 KTM990SMT
Originally Posted by rrgermanlv View Post
Funny because I messaged earlier my buddy who happens to be a Ducati master tech and he told me the Showas BPF's were pretty good...! I'll do some research, just kinda hate to build something around the bike to make it work instead of just replacing one thing with the other....
Understood. I had other motives, since I was also wanting to change clipons to some more adjustable ones, and way back when I made the swap there weren't any like I wanted in the 57mm size of the Marzocchis. Idea was to go with complete Ohlins forks, but just ran across the Showas and ended up leaving them on. The Marzocchi's are lighter, and actually weren't bad when they were fresh; definitely better than the rear shock.
Thanks from rrgermanlv
Old Apr 21st 2018, 08:56 PM   #9

Ended up buying Ohlins cartridges from Jarel (Ducati Omaha). Will get them shipped out hopefully soon

Thanks for your input guys!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 08:49 AM   #10

I Ride: Base Panigale
Good move replacing the cartridges. After the rebound failed on the second set of marzocchi forks I replaced the cartridges with ktech units. The biggest improvement to ride quality was replacing the Sachs shock.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
forks, marzocchi, replacing