Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By MrBIgBiker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4th 2018, 02:25 PM   #1

I Ride: Ducati
Full Akrapovic SL ?s

Hi guys, Iím interested in changing the exhaust on my 1199R it has the full term on it and I would like to put the Akrapovic SL1299 exhaust on it. At the moment itís a dedicated track bike. From what if found Iím pretty sure it will fit, but Iím not sure if itís going to turn into a tuning nightmare. If anyone has any constructive feedback it would be appreciated.

Old May 4th 2018, 03:10 PM   #2

I Ride: 2012 Panigale S
Hi mate,
I fitted the 1299 FE exhaust to my 1199. From a fitting point of view there was no change, everything fitted perfectly, but....
I was doing a long ride and approx. 600km into the ride the bike started to stall. I pulled over and the exhaust cans were hot but nothing unusual. The exhaust also included the Euro 4 type cans which run way hotter than my Termis.
Started the bike, all good. Rode for another 20kms and the bike stalled again. When I pulled over there were flames coming out from under the exhaust cans.
The $11 plastic stone guard the covers the sump had ignited. Black smoke pouring out everywhere and the inside surface of the cans was glowing red.

I put it out on the forum for some ideas and a lot came back that the MAP sensor was fucked. I had no fault codes on my bike (pushed it down to my local dealer), but none the less I changed the plugs and leads just incase.

I was still running the Termi UP map and believe the bike was running rich and I had a carbon fire due to the design of the internals of the cans.

Fortunately there was no damage to the bike. I got the cans cored out.

Since then I have tried 12 different maps that TB supply with the software. Some have good points other just keep making the bike stall when you move off in 1st gear, so I have bitten the bullet and I am getting the bike fully tuned on the 24th May by a professional tuner using TB software and wideband sensors.
I have been told it will be a 2 day process, in which he tunes and balances each cylinder in 20% increments i.e F20%, R20%, F40%, R40% all the way up to 100% throttle. This is costing $800AU, which include him using a harder tyre mounted on my spare rim.

I hope this helps.
Old May 4th 2018, 10:46 PM   #3

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update
maybe look at the CAT removal Pipe from Ducati Coventry / JHP racing ( on facebook)
as that might help you prevent this
Old May 5th 2018, 04:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the SL exhaust didn’t have a cat.
Old May 5th 2018, 04:20 PM   #5

I Ride: MY17 Panigale 1299s
SL & FE comes with a cat, the "old look exhaust" thing at the buttom.
removing the cat making the system look like in the picture you uploaded

Originally Posted by Hershell View Post
Thanks for the info. I was thinking the SL exhaust didnít have a cat.
Thanks from Hershell
Old May 6th 2018, 02:20 AM   #6

I pull the picture from the site I was planning to order it from. It sounds like a major PIA . I think I’ll just ride what I have for now. Thanks for the information

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
akrapovic, full