Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree4Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 05:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
ttkarp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Michigan

Posts: 1,165
Thanks: 597

I Ride: 2012 Panigale S/ABS
Originally Posted by CaliDuc View Post
Whomever you personally choose you are well advised to stick with one brand.

I personally feel that rear-set this and carbon that really boils down to how much financial bandwidth you want to apply to the bike.

DP Carbon for 1199 is extremely high quality with the matching price tag. If your budget can afford it and you want the quality of Ducati Performance then DP it is. I would advise that you keep all your original parts as you can easily part out and sell DP carbon as it keeps its value high.

Personally, I have all the DP kit (ALL) for both the 1199 and 1098 with the carbon on the 1199 (satin) and the 1098 (pure Ducati corse factory gloss). I will also add that the Ducati Corse and even the DP carbon on the 1098 is outstanding. Sure I could of spent 50% less, however it was not the money that was an issue it was completing the Ducati puzzle.

If not DP then I would seriously consider Shift-Tech.

If you want Carbon sticker shock look at the price of the DP Carbon for the 2013 HyperMotard .. very expensive.
Well said! I'm sticking to DP just because this is my first Ducati and I want it to be as authentic (if that makes any sense) as possible. Definitely agree about sticking with one source so it all matches though.
ttkarp is offline  
 
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 05:58 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
mark419ny's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: South Florida

Posts: 5,113
Thanks: 1869

I Ride: 2012 1199s 2014 HP4 2007 zx6r (track)
i dont like dp carbon because its all matte finish. however i did gloss the front fender and the clutch cover. My future carbon purchases will not be dp because i dont like keep having to take it in and have my friend gloss it. yes he does it for free but i dont want to keep having to ask. i hate that
mark419ny is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
bronch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Tacoma, WA

Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 262

I Ride: '13 MTS PP
I agree that if you can stick with one brand you should try to do so. But, I have both DP and Shift-tech CF parts. I guess I'm one of the few who like the matte finish as opposed the glossy, bling-like Hayabusa wanna be gloss finish.

For the most part DP was great, nice finish and weave. I had trouble with the fit of the DP swing-arm cover though to the point where I couldn't have modified it if I wanted to. Frankly, if I'm spending that kind of money it should fit perfect. There are other posts here of this particular part not fitting well and yet others where it went on fine. So, I might have been lucky enough to just get an outlier.

The Shift-tech CF went on without a hitch and matches really well with the stock front CF fender I have and the other DP parts I got. Really can't tell the difference. Great people to deal with and responsive to my myriad of stupid questions too.
bronch is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Gunny Fitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: NOVA

Posts: 3,279
Thanks: 1534

Thumbs down Bling (Thats Me!) lol

Originally Posted by bronch View Post
I agree that if you can stick with one brand you should try to do so. But, I have both DP and Shift-tech CF parts. I guess I'm one of the few who like the matte finish as opposed the glossy, bling-like Hayabusa wanna be gloss finish.

For the most part DP was great, nice finish and weave. I had trouble with the fit of the DP swing-arm cover though to the point where I couldn't have modified it if I wanted to. Frankly, if I'm spending that kind of money it should fit perfect. There are other posts here of this particular part not fitting well and yet others where it went on fine. So, I might have been lucky enough to just get an outlier.

The Shift-tech CF went on without a hitch and matches really well with the stock front CF fender I have and the other DP parts I got. Really can't tell the difference. Great people to deal with and responsive to my myriad of stupid questions too.
Sir-
You are certainly NOT one of the few, but of the majority of those who like the matte / satin finish. Did you not see my poll? I respect the views of the individual on any aftermarket part or accessory, I simply do not care for an expensive carbon piece that looks more plastic unless right up on it.

However, I have absolutely NO inclination to ever own a Hayabusa or ever appear like a wanna be. This statement is entirely incorrect about those who prefer the gloss finish on their carbon fiber!

Agreed that nothing pisses one off more than to deal with mis matched parts such as carbon where there are either misaligned mounting holes, or even no holes at all. As once told by a very wise man of carbon "Shift Tech" himself, you totally get what you pay for in todays market and unfortuately there are many companies out there taking the cheap route. I do my homework on everything I purchase so hopefully I dont end up in that gene pool.
Gunny Fitz is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
bronch's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Tacoma, WA

Posts: 1,320
Thanks: 262

I Ride: '13 MTS PP
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Sir-
You are certainly NOT one of the few, but of the majority of those who like the matte / satin finish. Did you not see my poll? I respect the views of the individual on any aftermarket part or accessory, I simply do not care for an expensive carbon piece that looks more plastic unless right up on it.

However, I have absolutely NO inclination to ever own a Hayabusa or ever appear like a wanna be. This statement is entirely incorrect about those who prefer the gloss finish on their carbon fiber!

Agreed that nothing pisses one off more than to deal with mis matched parts such as carbon where there are either misaligned mounting holes, or even no holes at all. As once told by a very wise man of carbon "Shift Tech" himself, you totally get what you pay for in todays market and unfortuately there are many companies out there taking the cheap route. I do my homework on everything I purchase so hopefully I dont end up in that gene pool.
Come on! Deep down inside you want some blue LED mood lighting and a purple with green paint scheme... Maybe some chrome wheels?

No, didn't read the poll, but thanks for clarifying. I was just poking fun. I really don't think that gloss CF is bling, but I certainly disagree with you that the matte finish looks like some cheap black plastic. To each his own.
Thanks from Gunny Fitz

Last edited by bronch; Jan 22nd 2013 at 09:47 AM.
bronch is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: St. Louis

Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 1149

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
I went with gloss on my K1300S (only 2 pieces), as it matches the fact the black plastic pieces are gloss. The matt looks tougher, and should be on a tough racing bike (IMH), and matches the matt black plastic pieces of the Pani - I liken the gloss to chrome, which I have always hated for bikes/cars.
Trauma is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
From: Northern Virginia

Posts: 2,118
Thanks: 677

I Ride: BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
I went with gloss on my K1300S (only 2 pieces), as it matches the fact the black plastic pieces are gloss. The matt looks tougher, and should be on a tough racing bike (IMH), and matches the matt black plastic pieces of the Pani - I liken the gloss to chrome, which I have always hated for bikes/cars.
As usual, Trauma makes some good points. Ducati tracks a lot of customer demographic information and you can find most of this in their latest marketing reports if you know where to look.

Owners who prefer glossy carbon also like:
Mohawks on helmets
Extended swingarms
Neon accent and under lighting
Chrome rims
Domestic beer
Capt CF is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:50 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Trauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: St. Louis

Posts: 5,008
Thanks: 1149

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
As usual, Trauma makes some good points. Ducati tracks a lot of customer demographic information and you can find most of this in their latest marketing reports if you know where to look.

Owners who prefer glossy carbon also like:
Mohawks on helmets
Extended swingarms
Neon accent and under lighting
Chrome rims
Domestic beer
Don't forget tasseled handlebar grips!
Trauma is offline  
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Stw
Moderator
 
Stw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Dallas.Tx

Posts: 6,383
Thanks: 2537

Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
As usual, Trauma makes some good points. Ducati tracks a lot of customer demographic information and you can find most of this in their latest marketing reports if you know where to look.

Owners who prefer glossy carbon also like:
Mohawks on helmets
Extended swingarms
Neon accent and under lighting
Chrome rims
Domestic beer


Lol..
Stw is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
carbon, fiber



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DP carbon fiber swing arm cover fit Kevin1199 Ducati 1199 15 Dec 22nd 2012 10:37 AM
The Poll On Carbon Fiber Gunny Fitz Ducati 1199 81 Dec 22nd 2012 12:02 AM
DP Carbon Fiber Sprocket Cover CaliDuc Ducati 1199 14 Dec 8th 2012 08:06 AM
New BST Carbon Fiber Wheels on my Base ScrapperX Ducati 1199 23 Oct 3rd 2012 07:34 PM
Carbon fiber DP stuff to install. mr anderson Ducati 1199 10 Aug 15th 2012 07:02 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed