Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By CloudInsurance
  • 1 Post By Back Road Cycles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 16th 2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Question 2012 1199 not starting...

Hey guys, i'm new to the forum so thanks, in advance, for any help you guys may be able to provide. That being said, lets get to it!

Easy to say, my bike isn't starting. what IS happening, however...

turning over
spark on both cylinders
combustion occurring
fuel pump working
injectors clean (enough to run at least)

and here are a list of things I've personally checked

brand new battery
pulled both plugs and tested/cleaned
check all wire connections and vacuum lines

Now here's where things get interesting... the bike has started after hours of trying and once it does start, it will run fine. After running it to operating temps for 15-20 min, i shut it off and let it sit. it will start back up if the motor is warm and it will run fine.... i come down the next morning and try to fire it up.... same thing. doesn't start. turns over and over but never runs.

if i give it throttle to try and help, it'll quickly flood and backfire. now this last time, when i got it to start, it was after trying for hours. the last thing i did was completely removed the air filter and housing and it almost started right up. now that may have been coincidence but but it led me to think about running too rich or something. it's a 2012 1199 S with 13.1k miles.

any thoughts or help would be appreciated because i really don't want to send it to a stealership to have them charge me $1k to clean the injectors...

Old Sep 17th 2018, 05:41 AM   #2

I Ride: 1199s Tricolore Race Bike
MAP Sensors.
Thanks from Thirstylemur
Old Sep 17th 2018, 08:01 AM   #3

1199 starting issues

If your mapping is stock, there may be an update for it. From the sound of your problem. The mapping may be corrupt. If anything it needs to be scanned for fault codes. You could have a faulty part. That is the first thing I would check.

The dealership may charge you an hour worth of labor to diagnose your problem. If stock or Ducati performance they can reset sensor setting to 0 or default.
If the mapping is custom other than Ducati performance, you should contact the person who mapped the ECU, or have the dealership reprogram the ECU to stock updated mapping. Hope this helps
Thanks from Thirstylemur
Old Sep 17th 2018, 09:47 AM   #4

Dealership just picked it up today, remapping is what I narrowed it down to as well, I just want sure if I missed something. Thanks for the quick response!
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 03:55 PM   #5

So a 1199S that is hard to start is likely running a corrupt map and needs to be remapped?
Old Nov 4th 2018, 06:18 AM   #6

I Ride: 2012 Panigale ABS
Mine was just the opposite at about three years old. It started cold fine, but I'd ride 75 miles to my favorite coffee house, and 20 minutes later it would not start warm. I had to let it sit once for an hour. That happened several times, although I learned the key starting it, but it was not easy. The key was to hit the starter and slowly crack the throttle while it was turning over.

I took the charcoal canister off and it has started fine ever since.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, 2012, starting