Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 9th 2013, 02:19 PM   #1

I Ride: 1299
Thinking of buying a used 1199, need some input

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys think of this. Found a base 1199 with about 400 miles on it. Gotta get it shipped across Canada if I do decide to buy it. Just wondering what you guys think of the 400 miles, I asked the guy how he broke the bike in, and mentioned that he was told to vary the rpms but don't pussy foot it either. Guys too busy to ride it I think.

Not sure if I need to be worried about the fact that it may have been blasted past the 6000 rpm mark a few times. I think according to the manual ducati doesn't want you to rev it past 6K for the first 600 miles or so correct?

I know there are many methods of breaking in, but I usually like to follow the book.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Whoop

Old Feb 9th 2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Whoop,

At 400 miles I wouldn't worry too much unless it's been totally thrashed for every mile. The dash reduces the redline for run-in period so there's more chance a Pani would be run in well than an older model (assuming the rider didn't just ignore it).

I ran mine frequently above the 6k during run-in, it's perfect now with 2k miles on it.

You will get varying opinions on run-in - at the end of the day if you are ok with the purchase I wouldn't worry too much about it. Better to look at other issues, smoking on start-up etc., and go see the bike if you can. You will see from tires and the look of the bike if it's been well cared for.

I met a guy yesterday with a base, he ran it in perfectly and his continues to smoke on start-up with around the same mileage as mine, it burns half a liter of oil every 500k. Mine burns hardly any. Personally I think it has less to do with run-in and more with the build of each bike.

V
Old Feb 9th 2013, 09:30 PM   #3

I Ride: 2008 HD FXCWC, 2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory, Next Duc Superbike
whoopazz, were you on the streetfighter forum before? Make a move on that 400 mile 1199. As long as they didn't have mechanical issues.... Could be that he just didn't like it after spending time on the bike. Honestly, I can't imagine why, but we all have our own tastes...
Old Feb 9th 2013, 09:37 PM   #4

Originally Posted by geeteethree View Post
Whoop,

At 400 miles I wouldn't worry too much unless it's been totally thrashed for every mile. The dash reduces the redline for run-in period so there's more chance a Pani would be run in well than an older model (assuming the rider didn't just ignore it).

I ran mine frequently above the 6k during run-in, it's perfect now with 2k miles on it.

You will get varying opinions on run-in - at the end of the day if you are ok with the purchase I wouldn't worry too much about it. Better to look at other issues, smoking on start-up etc., and go see the bike if you can. You will see from tires and the look of the bike if it's been well cared for.

I met a guy yesterday with a base, he ran it in perfectly and his continues to smoke on start-up with around the same mileage as mine, it burns half a liter of oil every 500k. Mine burns hardly any. Personally I think it has less to do with run-in and more with the build of each bike.

V
Yeah that's the only problem I have, I'm 2000 miles away from it so I can't see it doing a cold start. I could ask the owner but I won't know if he hasn't warmed it up before hand.
Originally Posted by southeastduc View Post
whoopazz, were you on the streetfighter forum before? Make a move on that 400 mile 1199. As long as they didn't have mechanical issues.... Could be that he just didn't like it after spending time on the bike. Honestly, I can't imagine why, but we all have our own tastes...
Yeah I've been on the sf forums, bike is up for sale. Can't get the pani off of my mind look
Old Feb 9th 2013, 09:41 PM   #5

I Ride: 2008 HD FXCWC, 2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory, Next Duc Superbike
do it man! You won't regret it. You can most surely get a deal on a brand spankin' new one though bro.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 04:40 AM   #6

I Ride: 2012 Panigale Tricolore, 2006 ST3 black
You won' regret the purchase if you decide to go for it but I do have to ask; Is there nothing closer than 2000 miles away? You may want to check the shipping cost before you send it across the continent. Where are you located that there is nothing available locally?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 06:47 AM   #7

Screw the manual and worry about how it was broken in. Its been shown that those who babied the bike and rode with a limp wrist had issues, mostly smoking still.
Its under warranty still. Snap it up and carry on.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 09:25 AM   #8

Originally Posted by Canduc View Post
You won' regret the purchase if you decide to go for it but I do have to ask; Is there nothing closer than 2000 miles away? You may want to check the shipping cost before you send it across the continent. Where are you located that there is nothing available locally?
The bike is in st catherines ON, I'm in edmonton Alberta... yeah shipping will be about $800, and I also have to get it crated by peninsula ducati.

There are none that are close to me, I've been checking the net for a used on for the past 2 months.... every day lol... I'll see how things go..

Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Screw the manual and worry about how it was broken in. Its been shown that those who babied the bike and rode with a limp wrist had issues, mostly smoking still.
Its under warranty still. Snap it up and carry on.
Thanks Gunny, I'm starting to think that way as well
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:06 PM   #9

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
A good rule of thumb, if there is any Gloss CF on it, he most likely kept it in his living room for show, or an occasional trip to Starbucks.

As for purchasing ANY motor vehicle still in warranty, I would just make sure there are enough hi-res picks to see every inch of the bike, and that's about it.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:25 PM   #10

I would go buy a new one just out of peace of mind

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, buying, input, thinking