Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By jwolfson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 9th 2018, 08:06 PM   #1

Intermittent Spark Issue HELP!!!

Hello,

I am writing in hopes that someone on the forum might know whats wrong with my 2012 1199S. I changed the squinter unit (thermostat housing) last weekend, which required me to disconnect all the electrical connectors on the left and right hand side of the bike. After I buttoned the bike back up I get a ENGINE ! + Amber Check engine light with the engine running only on the vertical cylinder. I swapped the horizontal cylinder (suspected to be dead) with the vertical cylinder coil pack and the issue stayed with the same cylinder horizontal cylinder. The bike will randomly clear the ENGINE ! + Amber check engine light and run normally. If I leave the bike running for a while it will revert back to running on 1 cylinder.

I went to the local Ducati shop to have the bike scanned for codes and they could not read any codes on the bike, even with the bike showing the ENGINE ! + Amber check engine light on dash.

When the bike resets and the engine lights go away. The bike runs perfectly. I even disconnect the horizontal head coil pack a little to see if it arcs and I see spark.

I am completely stumped.

Old Nov 14th 2018, 05:04 AM   #2

I Ride: 1199 Panigale
Assuming that the bike ran well before servicing the squirter unit, focus your attention on the component mounting trays. If you removed all of the components from the trays, start there. Check the ETV relays, sockets and wiring. Check the injection relay, socket and wiring. Check the ignition coil connectors. Check the connections at the MAP sensors. Check the ECU connections. Any one of the above will through an ENGINE warning message and a corresponding EOBD indication. Check and verify that the high voltage leads are fully seated in the ignition coils as well.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Hey Khmer,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, I gave up and sent the bike to the Ducati dealership to have it fixed. I will post an update on what caused the issue.

Regards,
Justin
Thanks from Khmer1199

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
intermittent, issue, spark