Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 5th 2018, 05:56 AM   #1

Rear wheel tilted right? (1199)

Hey guys, hopefully someone here might have info on what might be the culprit and can help with my situation.

I have acquired a 2012 1199 Tricolore (4500 miles) via a dealer trade on my 2018 MV Agusta F3. The 1199 looks to be in excellent shape but I noticed from the very 1st ride it handled strangely- it felt like it wanted to 'fall' into turns and just had a 'weird' feeling to it. Upon closer inspection I noticed the rear wheel isn't aligned with the front as it's pointing slightly to the right (when viewed from behind.) I took the Panigale to my local Ducati dealer and upon looking at it they too have confirmed there's an issue with the swingarm (either bent/tweaked or installed incorrectly.) They could not fix the issue with a simple adjustment and upon the test ride the shifter screw came off the bike- which they've replaced. Not a good feeling about this bike!!

Upon learning this information I've contacted the dealer I got it from and informed them of this problem. They've assured me the bike has not been in any accidents as told to them by the original owner who is a longtime customer of theirs. I've informed them this bike isn't as expected and seems to have a history that isn't matching what I've been told and I'd rather turn it back in. Problem is it seems they've sold my mint MV Agusta and now I'm in an ongoing situation with this...... to be continued!

Aside from all this.......does anyone know what might be causing the rear wheel to be tilted right? Has anyone had this occur to them- what was the remedy? (Assuming the bike has not been in an accident.)
I ask just in case I'm forced to hold onto this bike and would like to return it with advice on how the dealer can get it fixed as I don't think it should be sold to someone else in this condition.
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks guys~

Old Dec 5th 2018, 06:42 AM   #2

Guessing it’s been crashed and the guy that sold it to them then sold to you, lied about it. I’d look it over very close to see if it’s been touched up or painted over.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 06:46 AM   #3

It's spotless- no marks or signs of a crash that I can see....no signs of touched up areas.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 06:55 AM   #4

Old Dec 5th 2018, 08:01 AM   #5

There are no adjustment/alignment points on that swing-arm. The arm and its compliment of assembled parts are either straight or the are not. You have a right and a left subframe attachment points that have swing-arm pivot shafts with a roller bearing assembly on one side and a precision bearing assembly on the other. At the rear you have the eccentric hub with two retention/anti rotation bolts. Again there is zero adjustments laterally or torsionally. They need to Pull the swing-arm and look at the whole assembly and take some measurements.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 08:03 AM   #6

Thank you- very informative and exactly what I was looking for......I'll copy your reply and send to dealer- thanks again.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:35 PM   #7

String line the wheels and see if there is a tracking offset.

There was a thread on another forum about a guy who brought a panigale and it felt strange to ride and found out the SSSA was bend.... previous owner lied to dealership during trade in.
I do have some pics from that thread showing the mis-aligment but cant post up at work.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 12:37 PM   #8

endodoc- do you think a swingarm that tilts the wheel a bit as I've described can be straight but misaligned and just needs adjustment via removal and correction- or do you think there's a problem with the swingarm itself?
(I know it's hard to answer w/o seeing it- just want a best guess scenario at this point.)

Thanks again~
Old Dec 5th 2018, 01:11 PM   #9

There isn't any way for the swing-arm to be out of adjustment pertaining to your situation as there are no adjustable components. The sub-frame pieces are a precision bolt fit. The swing-arm pivot shafts are screwed and torqued into the block then have a precision compression attachment to the sub frame pieces. There is no way to assemble the swing-arm assembly incorrectly and have it bolt together. You can take some preliminary measurements from the axle center to the sub-frame pivot center etc. I have a few swing-arms here at the shop and those measurements are accurate enough for ballpark without pulling the assembly. The stock swing-arm pivot bolts are steel and again held in, in a precision fashion. You can inspect the sub-frame pieces and the shaft mating area. You will def notice if something is tweaked there. If not that leaves the swing-arm which if whacked in the right manner can tweak.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 05:45 PM   #10

Gotcha- thank you......will take to a local Ducati perf. shop and see if they can measure and find the culprit- thanks again.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, rear, tilted, wheel