Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree8Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 19th 2019, 06:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Bay Area, San Fran

Posts: 301
Thanks: 12

Originally Posted by chris16 View Post
Main Fuse is also ok?
OK my dumb question for the day - where is the main fuse? I checked ALL fuses in the two fuse boxes that sit above the battery. If main fuse is not there I did not check it and don't know where it is. Thanks,
Gulf Coast is offline  
 
Old Feb 19th 2019, 07:16 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: South Africa

Posts: 9
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 899, Mv F3, Mv Brutale 1090R
Okay, so I read through all the comments again.
As I see it:
- The original battery did light up the dash, but had difficulty with starting.
- New battery fitted with 13.6V.
- Bike completely dead.

The issue cannot be the new battery (should at least light up).
The problem must have come up during install.
Pulse is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2019, 07:19 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: South Africa

Posts: 9
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 899, Mv F3, Mv Brutale 1090R
Did you do any other work on the bike while you swapped the battery?
Parhaps one of the plugs somewhere on the loom, or at the dash itself pulled out?
Pulse is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2019, 08:26 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Bay Area, San Fran

Posts: 301
Thanks: 12

Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
Okay, so I read through all the comments again.
As I see it:
- The original battery did light up the dash, but had difficulty with starting.
- New battery fitted with 13.6V.
- Bike completely dead.

The issue cannot be the new battery (should at least light up).
The problem must have come up during install.
Yes, that's all correct and I think I'm with you that something else has happened during the install - its not battery related. My problem is that my electrical knowledge isn't great and so I don't know how to check for a short. I think I need to get it to the dealer

Unless it is the main fuse which I don't know where that's located if it's outside of the fuse boxes above the battery?
Gulf Coast is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2019, 08:54 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: South Africa

Posts: 9
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 899, Mv F3, Mv Brutale 1090R
I’ll remove my bikes covers in the morning and have a look...

Did you do any other work at the time?
Pulse is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:05 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Bay Area, San Fran

Posts: 301
Thanks: 12

No I didn't do any other work.

But thinking back when I first installed the new battery the positive terminal touched a couple of the positive wires and there was an electrical sound that came from the bike. Then there was nothing? I wonder if this caused something to short or trip? The noise was not the noise you get when turning the ignition on and the bike cycles through its start process.
Gulf Coast is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2019, 08:00 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: South Africa

Posts: 9
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 899, Mv F3, Mv Brutale 1090R
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast View Post
No I didn't do any other work.

But thinking back when I first installed the new battery the positive terminal touched a couple of the positive wires and there was an electrical sound that came from the bike. Then there was nothing? I wonder if this caused something to short or trip? The noise was not the noise you get when turning the ignition on and the bike cycles through its start process.
I think you found your problem.

You can try to ‘reset’ the CAN Bus, perhaps that will work. - Remove the + and - leads from the battery and remove the battery out of the way. Touch all the + and - leads to each other and keep them together for several seconds (>10s). (Keep them well clear of the battery while you do this).
Carefully re-install the battery and connect.

If this does not help, I think you perhaps fried something. The primary ignition relay has been a source of similar symptoms before.

If the reset does not work, I’d suggest a trip to the dealer.
Thanks from Gulf Coast
Pulse is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:36 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2018
From: Belgium

Posts: 154
Thanks: 37

I Ride: V4 S Corse '19
I think the same, I guess you fried something
Because there is really no life at all, I hope it is only the primary ignition relay
I've got a friend who fried his ECU... but more expensive... was a 996
Thanks from Pulse
realnuts is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2019, 08:11 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2012
From: East Bay Area, San Fran

Posts: 301
Thanks: 12

Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
I think you found your problem.

You can try to ‘reset’ the CAN Bus, perhaps that will work. - Remove the + and - leads from the battery and remove the battery out of the way. Touch all the + and - leads to each other and keep them together for several seconds (>10s). (Keep them well clear of the battery while you do this).
Carefully re-install the battery and connect.

If this does not help, I think you perhaps fried something. The primary ignition relay has been a source of similar symptoms before.

If the reset does not work, I’d suggest a trip to the dealer.
Tried the reset and nothing so off to the dealer I guess
Appreciate your help.
Thanks from Pulse
Gulf Coast is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2019, 11:09 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2019
From: South Africa

Posts: 9
Thanks: 1

I Ride: 899, Mv F3, Mv Brutale 1090R
Please keep us updated on the outcome
Pulse is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
dead, ducati



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panigale dead DUCDUC Mechanical and Technical 190 Dec 1st 2018 11:56 AM
EBR Dead Again Twistedracer Motorcycle Talk 18 Jan 31st 2017 04:00 AM
Back from the dead wilkson Ducati 1199 35 Nov 8th 2013 04:04 PM
Dead Starter gman74 Mechanical and Technical 12 Aug 20th 2013 01:34 PM
Just stopped dead ! Legion748 Ducati 1199 8 May 31st 2013 08:30 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed