Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 8th 2019, 09:55 AM   #31

I Ride: Harley, Ski Doo 850, Can Am Spydahh, Panigale in the near future
Well it didn’t work out today with the 1199 S. We discussed in our first conversation that the title was free and clear, today I find out that it is/was a stolen recovery. It’s beautiful but it has a history that makes me uncomfortable so I decided to pass on it.. The search continues!! There is a 2016 1299 on EBay, it’s not the “S” at $15k, I think it’s a good deal.

. Do you guys know of any others for sale? I want a “like new” bike without a BS story attached to it.

Last edited by eDUCATId; Apr 8th 2019 at 12:03 PM.

Old Apr 8th 2019, 01:50 PM   #32

I Ride: 13, white 1199 S, 10 Husaberg 450FE
Originally Posted by eDUCATId View Post
Thatís great to hear. Iíll be honest in saying that this bike is way beyond my riding abilities. Iím going into this solo, I donít have any friends here that ride this kind of bike so itís going to be a new experience all together meeting new people and riding in a way that I havenít in 20 years. Iíll be test riding this bad-boy today or tomorrow probably at a snails pace but Iím a fast learner.

Is there anything I should listen for or look for or look at specifically? Any known issues with these bikes as far as leaks? Thank you again for all your help, this forum has been great so far.
No issues with mine, only the water pump drive wheel was 30 bucks to replace. didnt need too, but I didn't like the wear on the teeth mine had.

If you let them sit to long, there will be a squeal noise that's hellatious at higher rpm, just drive it a few more miles and it will lubricate the noisy part. Don't tear the engine down, its normal.
Old Apr 8th 2019, 04:14 PM   #33

Well it didnít work out today with the 1199 S. We discussed in our first conversation that the title was free and clear, today I find out that it is/was a stolen recovery. Itís beautiful but it has a history that makes me uncomfortable so I decided to pass on it.. The search continues!! There is a 2016 1299 on EBay, itís not the ďSĒ at $15k, I think itís a good deal.

. Do you guys know of any others for sale? I want a ďlike newĒ bike without a BS story attached to it.

I went to look at a Moto Guzzi V1100 Sport last fall. I asked the guy if the bike looked good and ďshowed wellĒ. He said yes and advertised a clean title. I got there and saw a bike that appeared to have been sitting outside in the sun for 15 years....and he couldnít find the title that he claimed was sitting on his table yesterday. Ya right....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Apr 9th 2019, 04:51 AM   #34

I Ride: 2012 Panigale ABS
I have never ridden a 1299, so take this how you want.

The 1199 is a surprisingly peaky engine for a big twin. When I first got it I noticed a few things all related to that. The first day I rode it I was out on a country road and rolled into it in fourth gear from about 60 mph to pass a car. I thought “damn, this bike is slow”.

Once the bike got broken in and I started exploring the power, I got a bit cocky in second gear and ran wide open from about 4,000 rpm. I thought “okay, this is going well”. Then at about 7,000 rpm the front end “jumped” about 18 inches off the ground very suddenly. I came to find it has a power spike at 7,000 and another at 8,000, at which point things happen fast.

I actually sort of like higher rpm power spikes, but you have to know it makes the bike trickier to ride. Personally, I would love to have a 1299 for the better low/mid range torque and the quick shifter and wheelie control. I’ve recently started riding with a guy who has both and I think he will let me ride the 1299. I look forward to it.

Last edited by jjsC6; Apr 9th 2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 05:22 AM   #35

I was in a similar situation last month. I ended up finding a local 2014 1199 with full Akra system and a Anniversario ABS fairing kit bought from MotoXP in Italy. Too hard to turn down especially considering what I paid.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 05:32 AM   #36

Youíre not the only one that has expressed this issue with the 1199 making it a bit more challenging to ride. The only vtwin sport bike Iíve had experience riding for more than a quick run around the corner is the Honda RC-51 (awesome bike for the time BTW) all others have been inline-4s and theyíve all been somwhat like what youíre describing. My 900rr was like riding a moped until it hit 8000rpm and then it wanted you off! Actually my buddy that owned the RC-51 flipped it and totaled it right in front of me. Iím told these issues can be tuned out of the 1199, is this accurate? I like the 1299 but theyíre more money Iíve stretced my budget from $8k to 14k, Iíll be spending double that on lawyers fees if my wife finds out 😁

Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I have never ridden a 1299, so take this how you want.

The 1199 is a surprisingly peaky engine for a big twin. When I first got it I noticed a few things all related to that. The first day I rode it I was out on a country road and rolled into it in fourth gear from about 60 mph to pass a car. I thought ďdamn, this bike is slowĒ.

Once the bike got broken in and I started exploring the power, I got a bit cocky in second gear and ran wide open from about 4,000 rpm. I thought ďokay, this is going wellĒ. Then at about 7,000 rpm the front end ďjumpedĒ about 18 inches off the ground very suddenly. I came to find it has a power spike at 7,000 and another at 8,000, at which point things happen fast.

I actually sort of like higher rpm power spikes, but you have to know it makes the bike trickier to ride. Personally, I would love to have a 1299 for the better low/mid range torque and the quick shifter and wheelie control. Iíve recently started riding with a guy who has both and I think he will let me ride the 1299. I look forward to it.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 06:00 AM   #37

Does the regular 1299 have traction control and wheelie control? I’m not familiar with all models and their options... I was told only the “S” had traction control but now seeing other ads where they’re saying their base 959 has it. Is it now standard on the newer bikes? I thank you ahead of time you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. I’d getting eDUCATId.. lol.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 06:18 AM   #38

I Ride: 2012 Panigale ABS
Youíre not the only one that has expressed this issue with the 1199 making it a bit more challenging to ride. The only vtwin sport bike Iíve had experience riding for more than a quick run around the corner is the Honda RC-51 (awesome bike for the time BTW) all others have been inline-4s and theyíve all been somwhat like what youíre describing. My 900rr was like riding a moped until it hit 8000rpm and then it wanted you off! Actually my buddy that owned the RC-51 flipped it and totaled it right in front of me. Iím told these issues can be tuned out of the 1199, is this accurate? I like the 1299 but theyíre more money Iíve stretced my budget from $8k to 14k, Iíll be spending double that on lawyers fees if my wife finds out 😁
Iíve never tried to tune it, I want the bike stock. Iíll let others address that. One of my other bikes is a Superduke GT. It has gobs of torque everywhere. Neither one of them is happy below 3500 rpm, but the Superduke is actually a little worse in that regard.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 06:54 AM   #39

1199 S or 1299 thatís is the question

Does the regular 1299 have traction control and wheelie control? Iím not familiar with all models and their options... I was told only the ďSĒ had traction control but now seeing other ads where theyíre saying their base 959 has it. Is it now standard on the newer bikes? I thank you ahead of time you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. Iíd getting eDUCATId.. lol.

All Panigales have traction control. All the 1299 models have wheelie control, ABS, and up/down quickshifter. Some 1199 base models are non-ABS, but I believe all of the "S" models are ABS. The "S" models (both 1199 and 1299) also have electronic suspension which isn't a HUGE deal but I do use it all the time. If I'm just cruising to work over bumpy roads or if it's raining I use "WET" mode and it softens the ride quite a bit. If I feel like riding aggressive I put it into "SPORT". All the compression/rebound settings are adjustable via the dash. Whatever you decide to get beware of bikes close to or over 15,000 miles. 15k service is about $2500 so make sure it's been done or if it hasn't ask the owner to lower the price. Or just wait another year and buy a used V4 and save money for a lawyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheManiacJoe; Apr 9th 2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:07 AM   #40

I Ride: 1199 Panigale S (2014)
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Iíve never tried to tune it, I want the bike stock. Iíll let others address that. One of my other bikes is a Superduke GT. It has gobs of torque everywhere. Neither one of them is happy below 3500 rpm, but the Superduke is actually a little worse in that regard.
I came from a 2011 RSV4 Factory aPRC bike (mapped with a slip-on) with a smoth linear perfect power curve. I really liked that bike and I knew that I will get a complete different bike when I putchased my 2014 1199 S. It felt horrible to ride (compared to my RSV4) in the beginning, especially low down and in the midrange. Decided to get that fixed and started to do some research. Got a gret deal on a full termignoni exhaust without upmap which was great becouse I did not wantvtheir upmap. I discussed with a lot of peoples and tuners what would be the best route to go with the software (e.g. Rapidbike, tuneboy, rexxer, woolich racing, T800 upmap and BrenTuning). I decided to go with BrenTuning as I felt that would be the most proper way to change the bikes oem software and easy to go back to oem if needed. For me it was also an benefit to be able to reset service light and read codes etc. I got the handheld with their maps for stock bike as well as for full termi system and tested it out first with stock exhaust (but only a shortmride). I felt a huge increase in bikes rideability low down but still a bit jerky in the midrange. Installed the full termi and changed to termi map, noticed great rideability low down, some power increase in the midrange and top end. I was quite satisfide with the outcome but cold still feel that midrange was a bit jerky in certain situations (riding style and outdoor temperature). A year later I asked for BT latest map (as I knew they have worked with it to further improve it) and got it to test it out ond after that all jerky that could be felt in the midrange is gone.
Thanks from jjsC6 and TheManiacJoe

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, 1299, question, thatís