Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5th 2019, 05:14 AM   #1

Choosing a super bike for the road?

Dear All,

A year ago, I moved from Dubai to Japan (Tokyo). While I brought my 15R track bike with me, I decided to look for a Ducati Superbike for road-use once I settled down in Japan in order to avoid the whole number plate/ tax/ registration/ compliance-show, which I would have to deal with if importing a road-going bike to Japan.

Now, looking around for a bike for a while in Japan,I had a few learnings:

There is little depreciation on the value of Ducati Superbikes in Japan, which essentially means that a used bike costs very close to a new . As an example, a 1199S from 2012 with 16K KM on the clock goes for USD 15-17K. Speaking to a couple of dealers here, the explanation is that even old Panis are in high demand and that keeps the prices high.

So, for our fellow US riders, I know the pricing in this post may not make much sense, but I guess this is the framework I have to operate within while living in Japan (Dubai was definitely more attractive when it came to pricing )

Now, I have looked around and while there are a tons of bikes out there, I have shortlisted a few options which I would very much like your view on:

1)
Panigale 2015 "R", Second Hand, 3300KM on the clock, including Akra race system. Good condition. USD 34K
PROS: Light and nimble with good sound and fair power. Very familiar with the 15R, so know what to expect.
CONS: Less of a "special" bike and quite over-priced here in Japan for what it is (IMO). Used to the 15R, so reduced level of excitement.

2)
Panigale 2014 SuperLeggera, Second Hand, 16000KM. Good visual condition. USD 52K.
PROS: It is an SL including all the carbon/magnesium goodies. The SL has a special place in my heart.
CONS: Concerned about 16K KM on the clock which I think it quite a bit. The 1199SL is beginning to be a bit dated with no Down-QS and a bit old-school engine characteristics. Similar engine to the 15R, but a very different price tag.

3)
V4R, NEW, USD 46K.
PROS: Looks great, second-to-none power. Latest and greatest. New.
CONS: In Japan you need to add an extra USD 10K to get the Akra system, brining the bike to 56K . For an "R" (even V4), that is quite a lot of money. Had a look at the bike and can see quite a few parts that could use an upgrade in time.

4)
Others: The shops have a few Desmo RRs standing around. Price pretty hefty (USD 80K-ish), but awesome looking bikes. They also have the 1299FE (USD 43K, but with the Euro 4 exhaust which is a bit of a turn-off).

5)
Due to the pricing of Ducati in Japan, I even considered going for other brands. Looking at Honda/Yamaha - I don't find them that attractive in regards to design and electronics. The new BMW RR will be great for sure, but I prefer the personality of Ducati over BMW. I even thought about getting a H2R and throw some lights and mirrors on (one fellow here has done that) just for the fun of it, - so you can see I am getting desperate here

Anyways, - guys - any input on above would be highly appreciated

Old May 5th 2019, 05:18 AM   #2

I Ride: Ducati Panigale V4S
I don't see the new Hypermotard 950SP on your list I bet that bike would be fun in Tokyo traffic
Thanks from Seismic and Moondognyc
Old May 5th 2019, 05:29 AM   #3

Originally Posted by carlpretzel View Post
I don't see the new Hypermotard 950SP on your list I bet that bike would be fun in Tokyo traffic
I am guilty of preferring sport bikes, even though I do admit the Hypermotard could be a fun option as well... I guess I need to check it out...
Old May 5th 2019, 10:44 AM   #4

Get the price down on the 15’ R ($34K was the US MSRP new).
You may be used to it, but you’ll still love it. Especially with the Akra Race Cans.

Make sure to get it thoroughly inspected, even if it costs you. Bad pistons/sleeves/etc. are not cheap. Ensure the service is up to date.

I’d pass on an SL with 16K Km. The price (in Japan) already reflects the high mileage for a race bike. Consider parts cost, availability, labor.

Both are amazing bikes.
Thanks from Seismic
Old May 5th 2019, 01:33 PM   #5

I Ride: 13, white 1199 S, 10 Husaberg 450FE
Im tickled to have a 13S for street use. You will never use any of the bikes above to their potential on the street. I come no where near it with the S, yet. Best street bike ive ever had, and its absolutely a blast, even when riding 300+ miles in a day.
Thanks from Seismic
Old May 5th 2019, 03:57 PM   #6

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Get a V4S?
Thanks from Seismic
Old May 5th 2019, 06:23 PM   #7

I Ride: red 2015 Multistrada
Originally Posted by Seismic View Post
I am guilty of preferring sport bikes, even though I do admit the Hypermotard could be a fun option as well... I guess I need to check it out...
I had the same mentality when it came to bikes-crotch rockets! Then I bought a Multistrada and have never looked back. The Hypermotard would still be a lot of fun, and you still have your track bike for the sports bike itch.
Old May 5th 2019, 10:38 PM   #8

Out of what you mentioned id rule out the 2nd all together...

Now where in japan are you?
Are you even able to use the bike for spirited rides where you are?

You do NOT want to use any of those bikes in heavy traffic,you'll get over it fast i assure you.

My friend was just in japan and he couldnt believe he didnt see not one japanese sports car or super car but saw the most s classes,astons etc he's ever seen lol
Thanks from Seismic
Old May 5th 2019, 11:14 PM   #9

Originally Posted by stealthblack View Post
Get the price down on the 15 R ($34K was the US MSRP new).
You may be used to it, but youll still love it. Especially with the Akra Race Cans.

Make sure to get it thoroughly inspected, even if it costs you. Bad pistons/sleeves/etc. are not cheap. Ensure the service is up to date.

Id pass on an SL with 16K Km. The price (in Japan) already reflects the high mileage for a race bike. Consider parts cost, availability, labor.

Both are amazing bikes.
Thank you for the input on this. I tend to agree with your view on the SL. I will check with the dealer on the engine status and service history. At least, it is a Ducati dealer and they offer an extended warranty on the bike (and engine) if I am interested.
Old May 5th 2019, 11:15 PM   #10

Originally Posted by outhouse View Post
Im tickled to have a 13S for street use. You will never use any of the bikes above to their potential on the street. I come no where near it with the S, yet. Best street bike ive ever had, and its absolutely a blast, even when riding 300+ miles in a day.
I used to have a 12S, - fully agree it is a great bike

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
bike, choosing, road, super