• 1 Post By Mick1976
  • 1 Post By Nathanhu
  • 1 Post By Nathanhu
  • 1 Post By 1199duc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Oil leaking from clutch slave push rod hole 2013 1199

Hey everybody,

It appears my 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale is leaking from the clutch slave push rod hole.

I brought it into an authorized Ducati shop and they say it appears to be leaking from the push rod hole.

They said there is a gasket that is there that is installed from the INSIDE of the motor and they are saying that the engine case has to be split for them to install this gasket.

I did a bit of reading and searching and some other people online mentioned that you may be able to either reach this gasket through the clutch side cover from behind. I also read of some people modifying the clutch slave to fit some O rings to address the leak. Are these viable options?

Is there any solutions that will work to prevent the bike from leaking oil other than splitting the engine case?

I would really love some insight from fellow 1199 owners to see if there is a way to fix this that doesn't involve 20 hours of shop labor

Thanks in advance!!

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 04:09 PM   #2

The factory seal which is a thin rubber washer seal that's glued onto the clutch slave plate. I removed mine and glued a viton O ring in place just make sure it has similar inside diameter and your all good to go.

Originally Posted by 1199duc View Post
Hey everybody,

It appears my 2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale is leaking from the clutch slave push rod hole.

I brought it into an authorized Ducati shop and they say it appears to be leaking from the push rod hole.

They said there is a gasket that is there that is installed from the INSIDE of the motor and they are saying that the engine case has to be split for them to install this gasket.

I did a bit of reading and searching and some other people online mentioned that you may be able to either reach this gasket through the clutch side cover from behind. I also read of some people modifying the clutch slave to fit some O rings to address the leak. Are these viable options?

Is there any solutions that will work to prevent the bike from leaking oil other than splitting the engine case?

I would really love some insight from fellow 1199 owners to see if there is a way to fix this that doesn't involve 20 hours of shop labor

Thanks in advance!!
Thanks from 1199duc
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 04:41 PM   #3

Hey Mick thanks for the reply. If it is that easy do you know what the shop mechanic may be referring to?

And we are talking engine oil right? Not clutch fluid.

My mechanic seemed to say on the 2013 1199 there is no external oil gasket they can replace. Is this a load of rubbish? what are they talking about? thanks

Originally Posted by Mick1976 View Post
The factory seal which is a thin rubber washer seal that's glued onto the clutch slave plate. I removed mine and glued a viton O ring in place just make sure it has similar inside diameter and your all good to go.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 04:48 PM   #4

Hey man no problem so that seal on the clutch slave plate is not a super tight seal so I can leak a tiny bit of oil. The alternator cover and clutch side case is all sealed with silicone. These bikes leak oil from multiple places so make sure you know where it's leaking first.

Hey Mick thanks for the reply. If it is that easy do you know what the shop mechanic may be referring to?

And we are talking engine oil right? Not clutch fluid.

My mechanic seemed to say on the 2013 1199 there is no external oil gasket they can replace. Is this a load of rubbish? what are they talking about? thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 06:08 PM   #5

Just so we are on the same page we are both referring to exactly a 2013 1199 Panigale right?

On the first day of the troubleshoot it appears that it is leaking from the clutch slave area from that area near the slave plate. They made it seem like the root cause of the leak may be the engine oil gasket/rubber washer is behind the case and not just solely the o ring/plate. Can you confirm you are saying that there is an engine oil gasket on the plate itself?

You say it is not a "super tight seal" So does this mean that this is the lower pressure seal and there still is essentially two seals behind the slave, one that is behind the case that is higher pressure and the lower pressure O ring on the plate? What is this gasket they are talking about that requires splitting of the case? I am going to wait to hear back from my tech tomorrow to get the final diagnosis news, but taking the whole engine apart seems a bit much to fix what seems like a minor oil leak. I am open to any solution to prevent oil from leaking on my left exhaust pipe

please keep the advice flowing I am open to everybodys opion! thank you so far Mick

Originally Posted by Mick1976 View Post
Hey man no problem so that seal on the clutch slave plate is not a super tight seal so I can leak a tiny bit of oil. The alternator cover and clutch side case is all sealed with silicone. These bikes leak oil from multiple places so make sure you know where it's leaking first.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 06:50 PM   #6

They are all the same but you just need to pin point where the leak is coming from. The seal behind the slave plate is what the shift rod passes through. The main engine case seal down the center won't be leaking.

Just so we are on the same page we are both referring to exactly a 2013 1199 Panigale right?

On the first day of the troubleshoot it appears that it is leaking from the clutch slave area from that area near the slave plate. They made it seem like the root cause of the leak may be the engine oil gasket/rubber washer is behind the case and not just solely the o ring/plate. Can you confirm you are saying that there is an engine oil gasket on the plate itself?

You say it is not a "super tight seal" So does this mean that this is the lower pressure seal and there still is essentially two seals behind the slave, one that is behind the case that is higher pressure and the lower pressure O ring on the plate? What is this gasket they are talking about that requires splitting of the case? I am going to wait to hear back from my tech tomorrow to get the final diagnosis news, but taking the whole engine apart seems a bit much to fix what seems like a minor oil leak. I am open to any solution to prevent oil from leaking on my left exhaust pipe

please keep the advice flowing I am open to everybodys opion! thank you so far Mick
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 08:42 PM   #7

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update and 1199s 2012 track bike, Carrilo rods, RB evo, SSTK exhaust
i have the same issue on a 1199 2012 model.
i just had the motor rebuilt and the dealer didnt change the internal Oil seal that stops the oil passing up the clutch rod. ( pn 93041771A is the seal )
the solution we have done is to make 2 small O-ring grooves in the clutch rod similar to the 996/998 and fitted a set of O-rings.

all is good so far, and no more leaks, and clutch operation and shifting is not affected.
Thanks from 1199duc

Last edited by Nathanhu; Jul 22nd 2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added part number
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 11:43 PM   #8

Thank you Nathan

This is the type of information I am looking for. Hoping to fix the leak this alternate way if changing that interal gasket requires an entire teardown.

Do you happen to have a photo of this modification of the push rod? Is that something a machine shop would be able to do or essentially whoever has a lathe I take it? Please share some more information if possible. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Nathanhu View Post
i have the same issue on a 1199 2012 model.
i just had the motor rebuilt and the dealer didnt change the internal Oil seal that stops the oil passing up the clutch rod. ( pn 93041771A is the seal )
the solution we have done is to make 2 small O-ring grooves in the clutch rod similar to the 996/998 and fitted a set of O-rings.

all is good so far, and no more leaks, and clutch operation and shifting is not affected.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 11:53 PM   #9

I Ride: 1299s 2016 with Evo update and 1199s 2012 track bike, Carrilo rods, RB evo, SSTK exhaust
Iím sadly away with work for a few weeks, but can gladly share some pictures and measurements.
Itís basically a replication of the older sealing method on the rod itís self.
If you look inside the motor casing you will see the machined surface that you can use with the O rings and measure back from there for the depth / length from the end of the rod where the 2 O ring grooves will sit
Thanks from 1199duc
Old Jul 23rd 2019, 12:29 AM   #10

please keep me updated when you are able to. I really appreciate this information and really hope I can have that performed locally here.

I just got the bike and I was having a blast on the first longer ride until I stopped to find oil leaking on my exhaust pipe. I really hope we can come up with a solution like that instead of that extensive oil seak replacement.

Any more tips or information is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Nathanhu View Post
Iím sadly away with work for a few weeks, but can gladly share some pictures and measurements.
Itís basically a replication of the older sealing method on the rod itís self.
If you look inside the motor casing you will see the machined surface that you can use with the O rings and measure back from there for the depth / length from the end of the rod where the 2 O ring grooves will sit
Thanks from Nathanhu

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, 2013, clutch, hole, leaking, oil, push, rod, slave