Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 04:34 PM   #1

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
Tried to order heat shield (not a heat discussion)

So I called my dealer today to set up a service appointment for a couple things I'm looking to get done to my bike. The service rep at my dealership asked me if I wanted the upgraded heat shield while my bike was in. Well I'm torn because I would like a fix to the heat (that I feel is a problem) but I think the new heat shield is absolutely hideous. So I asked him if I could just take delivery of the heat shield without it being installed in case I decide later to put it on my bike. I was told that was not an option and if I wanted the heat shield they would have to install it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Retired

It wouldn't surprise me from a liability standpoint that they'd have to install the parts on your bike. Just like with warranty work, and they might require you to surrender the old heat shield as well.

Originally Posted by Hitter11 View Post
So I called my dealer today to set up a service appointment for a couple things I'm looking to get done to my bike. The service rep at my dealership asked me if I wanted the upgraded heat shield while my bike was in. Well I'm torn because I would like a fix to the heat (that I feel is a problem) but I think the new heat shield is absolutely hideous. So I asked him if I could just take delivery of the heat shield without it being installed in case I decide later to put it on my bike. I was told that was not an option and if I wanted the heat shield they would have to install it.

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 04:44 PM   #3

I Ride: 2012 Panigale S/ABS
I was told something similar. I want the engine covers installed, but not the rear heat shield. I was told by the dealer that since Ducati will want the original heat shield back, there was no way they could only do a partial install. They were checking with Ducati to make sure and I'm waiting to hear back.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 04:46 PM   #4

I Ride: 2012 1199S
if you were able to keep the original parts, you would sell them after you were comfortable with the new shield, correct?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 04:53 PM   #5

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
I would have the dealer install it down the road if I decided to install the new heat shield later. The service rep told me Ducati was only going to provide the new heat shield at no cost for a limited time (which I assumed to be the case anyway). This is why I wanted to get it now in case I decide to have the install done later.

As for what I would do with the old heat shield I hadn't really thought about that... It was basically just about the above issue.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 04:57 PM   #6

I'm going to try this Saturday. Just keep it and say that they installed it so they get paid.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 04:58 PM   #7

I Ride: '15 1299 Base, '15 R1, '16 Arctic Cat ZR8000RR
Originally Posted by Hitter11 View Post

Same here. Going in tomorrow for an oil change and the upmap.
Tried to trade the heat shield hours for my oil change, no go
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 05:06 PM   #8

I Ride: 1199 ABS, K1300S, ZX7R
I was at my dealer today, and guess what - the new heatshield has a mounting point that uses the heelguard screws on the OEM rearsets - so if you have a rearset that has different mounting holes (i.e., will not accept the stock heelguards, Lightech, etc)., you cannot attach that final bracket. Not sure how important that is.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 05:12 PM   #9

I Ride: 2013 Ducati Panigale R (Track), 2016 Yamaha R1 Anniversary Edition, 2013.5 KTM 450SX Factory
Just the opposite.

My dealer asked me if I wanted it over the weekend.

I originally said no, and then he told me it might be a good idea to have when I sold the bike.

Next time I'm in the cage, and close to my dealer I'll pick it up.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 05:13 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Trauma View Post
I was at my dealer today, and guess what - the new heatshield has a mounting point that uses the heelguard screws on the OEM rearsets - so if you have a rearset that has different mounting holes (i.e., will not accept the stock heelguards, Lightech, etc)., you cannot attach that final bracket. Not sure how important that is.
That's for the stock header loop right?

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
discussion, heat, order, shield