Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree3Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 8th 2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Stw

I dont think its heat related... seen unused Ducatis on the showroom floor showing early signs of discolouration... Its something in the system that Ducati uses... Been happening for yrs...
Thanks from Jimmytwotimez

Old Apr 9th 2013, 05:56 AM   #12

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199
I think your right. I remember now when I bought My bike it was in the show room with others and they all seemed to have this dark fluid. I traded in my kawi and my kawi never had this and I put miles on that thing. Is it ok if it's dark or no???
Old Apr 9th 2013, 06:38 AM   #13

I Ride: BMW F700GS, KTM 690 Enduro R
We kicked this around a while back and never got anywhere really. You can pick up a brake fluid tester on Amazon for about $20 if you are really curious if the fluid is good, but I decided to just ignore it and change it at regular intervals. Mine went dark (esp the rear brake) in like 300-400 miles so if I were obsessed with it looking like canola oil I'd be changing it all the time since I ride my bike a lot.

I think I'll put a reservoir sock over it and ignore it.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Stw

Originally Posted by Jimmytwotimez View Post
I think your right. I remember now when I bought My bike it was in the show room with others and they all seemed to have this dark fluid. I traded in my kawi and my kawi never had this and I put miles on that thing. Is it ok if it's dark or no???
As best as anyone knows the colour change has no effect on its performance/functionality... but man does it look ugly... and unlike some I cannot bring myself to put socks on the reservoir...
Old Aug 30th 2018, 03:54 PM   #15

Yes it does. I have a 2017 1299 and I flushed my clutch fluid out 3 weeks ago and it's already dark (black) again. Way too fast. I did this three weeks prior with a cheap dot 4 brake fluid. the second time I used the more expensive Motul, but again same thing. WHY????
Also, I was reading Ducati may have some kind of recall on the clutch reservoir or somewhere on the piston itself??? I need to call them.

Because when it's dark like that it's almost impossible to shift and definitely almost impossible to get into neutral. The first time I bled the system there was a lot of air at the top bleed point, but I don't know how air got there cause I never opened up the system. This was a new bike and never worked on.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 05:06 PM   #16

I Ride: 2014 1199 S
Mine turns dark after a few thousand miles. Never tracked and I use it as a daily comuter so mostly freeway miles. I just flush and add the new fluids when they turn color.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 09:33 PM   #17

I Ride: 2015 899 White
It's fine when it goes black, the black tubing from the res to the master is leaching its color into the fluid. Just change it once a year or so. If you want it to stay clean change the tubing to 2375 tygon tubing. It's 6.35mm ID if I remember right.
Thanks from Twistedracer
Old Aug 31st 2018, 09:11 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
You can pick up a brake fluid tester on Amazon for about $20 if you are really curious if the fluid is good, but I decided to just ignore it and change it at regular intervals.
I know this is an old post but just in case anyone decides to buy one of these testers, they only test for water contamination. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it will readily and easily absorb water from the atmosphere. More water content in you BF = lower boiling point. That's all the tester is good for. This is also why you should buy the size of bottle of brake fluid you need. If you use half a bottle and put the cap on without an air tight seal and go to use it 6 months down the road, odds are there's water in it. I put my bottles in one of those fancy Lexan Tupperware things that you can hook your vacuum sealer up to along with some silica desiccant to absorb any residual moisture. I don't have a vacuum sealer though so I use my AC evacuation pump to pull around -6"Hg. Anyway hope this helps someone in the future. As an after thought: if you really want to know how you BF is doing, you could send a sample in to a lab to be tested. I send most of the fluids on my vehicles to Blackstone once a year to make sure metal wear levels are acceptable. Only about $30 a sample.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 09:02 AM   #19

I Ride: KTM Duke R 1299 Pani YZF450 Saxon
I replaced all fluids with Motul RBF six sixty, I hated the way the rear went black, it did not impedance performance I will say.
With the new Motul no colour change despite high temps.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 09:50 PM   #20

Originally Posted by Captain Greg View Post
I replaced all fluids with Motul RBF six sixty, I hated the way the rear went black, it did not impedance performance I will say.
With the new Motul no colour change despite high temps.
I use the same fluid as well, however mine still turned black after a month or so until I changed the res line to Tygon. I don't think there would be any effect on performance as its just above the MC, not going through the whole system. When I bled my brakes with the res black it is still clear at the caliper. But I agree, it does look foul on such a beautiful bike.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
brake, dark, fluid

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.