Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree1Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 06:03 AM   #91

Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Can someone please post up another video of a brand new bike smoking on startup?

Haven't seen enough.
In case you didn't pick it.
Sarcasm.

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 09:35 AM   #92

no problem? Please someone post a vid of any other new bike smoking on start-up...

You know the new ZX10, CBR, GSXR how about an Ape or an MV? the KTM?
Please, post em up...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 09:41 AM   #93

Here's a brand new RC8R with a brand new acro exhaust...

KTM RC8 RED BULL WITH FULL AKRAPOVIC EXHAUST START-UP - YouTube

Yeah, the Duc is fine...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 10:55 AM   #94

As far as I know the only explanations for white smoke in a 4 stroke engine are:

Head gasket not sealing properly, allowing antifreeze to pass into the combustion chamber.

Valve seals are toast

Rings are on their way out (smoke only on startup / cold engine, which leads to smoke all the time as things deteriorate)

PCV valve

Too much oil in crankcase

A couple of the issues above are easy, simple fixes. A couple are indicators of impending engine failure. So anyone who thinks that a smoking motorcycle is not an issue--do you also think that a locked rear wheel is also not an issue? I for one would not want to experience an engine seizing on a motorcycle at any speed in any condition.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:53 PM   #95

I Ride: 1199 Base
There were a lot of 1199's at the press intro and I do not recall any of the testers complaining about smoking (or anything else). Surely this would have been brought up as an issue by at least ONE of the test staff. There also was a lot of video taken at that press intro and I never saw one blowing smoke either in the pit lanes or out on the track. If Ducati thought there was an issue around this they NEVER would have assembled journalists from around the globe to come ride them until it was sorted. Ducati does not owe an explanation to anyone for a non issue. My 2 cents anyway.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 01:22 PM   #96

Can we all agree on one thing...

You shouldnt redline a cold engine. Man I hate watching people flash up a cold bike and then rev the $hit out of it. Didnt your mama teach you anything?!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 02:07 PM   #97

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
Can we all agree on one thing...

You shouldnt redline a cold engine. Man I hate watching people flash up a cold bike and then rev the $hit out of it. Didnt your mama teach you anything?!
I think the same people like to rev the piss out of their engine while waiting at a traffic light as well. Idiots.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 03:25 PM   #98

Originally Posted by Yama1yzf View Post
There were a lot of 1199's at the press intro and I do not recall any of the testers complaining about smoking (or anything else). Surely this would have been brought up as an issue by at least ONE of the test staff. There also was a lot of video taken at that press intro and I never saw one blowing smoke either in the pit lanes or out on the track. If Ducati thought there was an issue around this they NEVER would have assembled journalists from around the globe to come ride them until it was sorted. Ducati does not owe an explanation to anyone for a non issue. My 2 cents anyway.
I'm sure Ducati did a full shake down of each and everyone of the bikes before press launch. I wouldn't think they'd take the chance of bringing anything that would give them red faces, especially with the imminent sale of the organization. So who knows about the smoke... That's what warranty and insurance is for.

Anyway if mine smokes I'm calling it puff the magic dragon

Last edited by DeltaIV; Apr 2nd 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 04:08 PM   #99

I Ride: Tricolore
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Here's a brand new RC8R with a brand new acro exhaust...

Yeah, the Duc is fine...
It took that guy long enough to start it. Did he really need to make 2 passes around the bike.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 05:38 PM   #100

Originally Posted by DeltaIV View Post
I'm sure Ducati did a full shake down of each and everyone of the bikes before press launch. I wouldn't think they'd take the chance of bringing anything that would give them red faces, especially with the imminent sale of the organization.
Yeah no doubt!

I'm sure they filtered through all the bikes they'd built so far to get the good ones just for the press launch, and they shipped out the 'rejects' to everyone else.

Maybe, I dunno, just spit balling here, it's not a fkn issue after they've done a few kms?

Originally Posted by SoonerNation View Post
It took that guy long enough to start it. Did he really need to make 2 passes around the bike.
I didn't get that far. Ugly scheme is ugly.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
exhaust, smoke

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.