Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree1Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 06:03 AM   #91
Senior Member
 
Rhino's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: perth.wa.au

Posts: 312
Thanks: 3

Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Can someone please post up another video of a brand new bike smoking on startup?

Haven't seen enough.
In case you didn't pick it.
Sarcasm.
Rhino is offline  
 
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 09:35 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
flynbulldog's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Larkspur Co.

Posts: 332
Thanks: 1

no problem? Please someone post a vid of any other new bike smoking on start-up...

You know the new ZX10, CBR, GSXR how about an Ape or an MV? the KTM?
Please, post em up...
flynbulldog is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 09:41 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
flynbulldog's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Larkspur Co.

Posts: 332
Thanks: 1

Here's a brand new RC8R with a brand new acro exhaust...


KTM RC8 RED BULL WITH FULL AKRAPOVIC EXHAUST START-UP - YouTube

Yeah, the Duc is fine...
flynbulldog is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 10:55 AM   #94
Senior Member
 
AntiHero's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Round the World on an 1199

Posts: 2,084
Thanks: 2249

As far as I know the only explanations for white smoke in a 4 stroke engine are:

Head gasket not sealing properly, allowing antifreeze to pass into the combustion chamber.

Valve seals are toast

Rings are on their way out (smoke only on startup / cold engine, which leads to smoke all the time as things deteriorate)

PCV valve

Too much oil in crankcase

A couple of the issues above are easy, simple fixes. A couple are indicators of impending engine failure. So anyone who thinks that a smoking motorcycle is not an issue--do you also think that a locked rear wheel is also not an issue? I for one would not want to experience an engine seizing on a motorcycle at any speed in any condition.
AntiHero is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:53 PM   #95
Member
 
Yama1yzf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: New York

Posts: 65
Thanks: 4

I Ride: 1199 Base
There were a lot of 1199's at the press intro and I do not recall any of the testers complaining about smoking (or anything else). Surely this would have been brought up as an issue by at least ONE of the test staff. There also was a lot of video taken at that press intro and I never saw one blowing smoke either in the pit lanes or out on the track. If Ducati thought there was an issue around this they NEVER would have assembled journalists from around the globe to come ride them until it was sorted. Ducati does not owe an explanation to anyone for a non issue. My 2 cents anyway.
Yama1yzf is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 01:22 PM   #96
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Toronto Canada

Posts: 54
Thanks: 2

Can we all agree on one thing...

You shouldnt redline a cold engine. Man I hate watching people flash up a cold bike and then rev the $hit out of it. Didnt your mama teach you anything?!
superfly999 is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 02:07 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
Frosty's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: Calgary

Posts: 2,360
Thanks: 617

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Originally Posted by superfly999 View Post
Can we all agree on one thing...

You shouldnt redline a cold engine. Man I hate watching people flash up a cold bike and then rev the $hit out of it. Didnt your mama teach you anything?!
I think the same people like to rev the piss out of their engine while waiting at a traffic light as well. Idiots.
Frosty is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 03:25 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: Australia

Posts: 211
Thanks: 5

Originally Posted by Yama1yzf View Post
There were a lot of 1199's at the press intro and I do not recall any of the testers complaining about smoking (or anything else). Surely this would have been brought up as an issue by at least ONE of the test staff. There also was a lot of video taken at that press intro and I never saw one blowing smoke either in the pit lanes or out on the track. If Ducati thought there was an issue around this they NEVER would have assembled journalists from around the globe to come ride them until it was sorted. Ducati does not owe an explanation to anyone for a non issue. My 2 cents anyway.
I'm sure Ducati did a full shake down of each and everyone of the bikes before press launch. I wouldn't think they'd take the chance of bringing anything that would give them red faces, especially with the imminent sale of the organization. So who knows about the smoke... That's what warranty and insurance is for.

Anyway if mine smokes I'm calling it puff the magic dragon

Last edited by DeltaIV; Apr 2nd 2012 at 03:33 PM.
DeltaIV is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 04:08 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
SoonerNation's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Carrollton, TX

Posts: 350
Thanks: 3

I Ride: Tricolore
Originally Posted by flynbulldog View Post
Here's a brand new RC8R with a brand new acro exhaust...

Yeah, the Duc is fine...
It took that guy long enough to start it. Did he really need to make 2 passes around the bike.
SoonerNation is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 05:38 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
Rhino's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
From: perth.wa.au

Posts: 312
Thanks: 3

Originally Posted by DeltaIV View Post
I'm sure Ducati did a full shake down of each and everyone of the bikes before press launch. I wouldn't think they'd take the chance of bringing anything that would give them red faces, especially with the imminent sale of the organization.
Yeah no doubt!

I'm sure they filtered through all the bikes they'd built so far to get the good ones just for the press launch, and they shipped out the 'rejects' to everyone else.

Maybe, I dunno, just spit balling here, it's not a fkn issue after they've done a few kms?

Originally Posted by SoonerNation View Post
It took that guy long enough to start it. Did he really need to make 2 passes around the bike.
I didn't get that far. Ugly scheme is ugly.
Rhino is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
exhaust, smoke



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1199S + ABS + Full Exhaust = Order Placed 512BB Ducati 1199 21 Jul 23rd 2013 05:19 PM
White smoke on startup Superquadro Mechanical and Technical 24 Jun 6th 2012 08:04 AM
Which exhaust? mchamp88 Ducati 1199 58 Apr 23rd 2012 09:27 AM
1199 exhaust off bike Dave R Ducati 1199 19 Feb 17th 2012 04:38 AM
Tricolore exhaust nick1199 Ducati 1199 6 Jan 20th 2012 01:26 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed