Ducati Forum

Ducati Forum (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-forum.php)
-   Ducati 1199 (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1199/)
-   -   Beginner and just want to Ducati 1199 (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1199/456-beginner-just-want-ducati-1199-a.html)

skontakt Mar 30th 2012 06:47 AM

Beginner and just want to Ducati 1199

I have no experience riding a motorcycle
But this bike is impressive to me.

My friend has a Ducati 999 and I can imagine what kind of beast this bike, though inferior to the characteristics of the 999 1199.

What will advise:
Take 1199 and the first year of driving very carefully
Perfected in the second year.

Or take something simpler, like evolution, 848. (Or is it a hard for beginner, too)

Give expert advice for the beginner in motorsport, please.

Thanks in advance for your opinion

szczypek Mar 30th 2012 07:20 AM

the trottle goes both ways.

turnone Mar 30th 2012 07:20 AM

This questions gets asked about every bike. So many factors to consider like age, phsyical size, maturity, mental restraint, experience on other motorsport items (dirt bikes, sleds, ATV's, scooters, etc.).

I'll be real clear, don't even bother with a brand new bike of any type, let alone one of the fastest bikes made.

Start small, learn to ride and survive around cars, road conditions, etc.
Once you can ride the small bike up to the BIKE's potential, get the bike of your dreams.

I have ridden numerous bikes over the years, but still can have fun on a 50cc bike.

Chris

tstephenson Mar 30th 2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnone (Post 4739)
This questions gets asked about every bike. So many factors to consider like age, phsyical size, maturity, mental restraint, experience on other motorsport items (dirt bikes, sleds, ATV's, scooters, etc.).

I'll be real clear, don't even bother with a brand new bike of any type, let alone one of the fastest bikes made.

Start small, learn to ride and survive around cars, road conditions, etc.
Once you can ride the small bike up to the BIKE's potential, get the bike of your dreams.

I have ridden numerous bikes over the years, but still can have fun on a 50cc bike.

Chris

Turnone is spot on - your first new bike will go through the normal stupid drops and other goofy things you do as a new rider. Take a used bike ride it until most everthing is second nature - all you want to do is get a lot of time on the road or track.

Bronston Mar 30th 2012 08:35 AM

If you've never ridden before, a small, 250 or so, used, and unfaired bike is the ticket. When new to riding there is a long list of minor problems and mistakes you will have to learn your way through . Just stopping, say at night in the wet, on the center of a high crown road unawares. You put your foot down normally, but the road is a couple of inches below where your foot expects it. If on a learner's bike, you just pick it up and proceed. With a 1199 you'll have rashed a thousand dollars worth if lucky. I had a K1200s BMW knocked over at the curb while parked and the repair cost $6500!

Just remember, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Bikes are wonderful, I've been riding for fifty years and track my current 1198s, so I have a lifetime of experience. That said, they are much more demanding than autos, especially when you get into superbikes, which all would put seven-figure perfomance sports cars to shame. Troy Bayliss said the 1199 is faster than his race-prepared, world chamionship winning bike. Seriously, no matter the individual, that's no place to start.

If taking up say, sculpture, would you begin with a life-sized statue from the finest marble? It's possible you might succeed, but it's more likely you'd make a mistake that would doom the project, and that dissappointment might well ruin you for more modest undertakings.

Get a modest bike, and develop the needed "muscle memory", then go shopping for your dream bike. You don't need a superbike to enjoy the excitment of motorcycling, in fact a superbike to early might be a disaster finacially and/or physically. I had my 1198s in for service last month, and was given a Monster for the day as a loaner. Even though I ride much more powerful bikes most of the time, I had a ball with the Monster.

Have fun!

Frosty Mar 30th 2012 09:15 AM

Money doesn't buy you skill. Time and experience.

There are two types of riders, those that have been down, and those that are going down. You probably WILL drop/crash your first bike.

Mhobson Mar 30th 2012 10:45 AM

Whilst I wouldn't particularly recommend this as a 1st bike, I wouldn't listen to all the doom mongerers either. I had a 600 as a first bike and this will be my second. I never dropped or crashed the 1st and hope not to this either. I, to date, have probably done two thirds of my miles on track and intend to use the panigale to a similar ratio. If you can afford the running costs, and are not a complete loon then maybe you'd be ok. I'd still suggest a smaller bike, maybe 600, as you're less likely to get into trouble, but if you really really want a 1199 then they only go as quick as you want them to go. I'd definately advise track time though.

ukrr Mar 30th 2012 12:19 PM

I have ridden a panigale and would say that a newbie riding it would expose themselves to un necessary risk and also not be able to unlock anywhere close to the potential the bike has to offer. A dangerous waste of money.

512BB Mar 30th 2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by szczypek (Post 4738)
the trottle goes both ways.

The bike is sexy, but damn that's down outright kinky :) :) :) :)

leebeeone Mar 30th 2012 12:37 PM

I totally agree wit the above posts start small and work your way up if you want to take a short cut then take professional training. I think if you are not to hot headed you could go for a 600 but no more. The person who said he has not dropped their bike has one coming, I do not know of any experienced motor cyclist who hasn't had a fall