Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 12th 2012, 04:54 PM   #1

I Ride: Daytona 675 SE + 1199S ABS
Talking First impressions

After two weeks of torture during which I was away in Canada Skiing and my S+ABS was waiting at my dealer, I picked the bike up today

Managed 62 miles so far, this afternoon and evening, and my first impressions are very good:

+ Fantastic quick revving high torque motor
+ Pin sharp handling - quite a bit better than my already good Daytona 675. The weight saving and low centre of gravity really do make a big difference.
+ Standard cans make a great noise
+ LED lights are very good; they provide a very white light. Dipped beam is wide and bright, but could project a little further. Main beam is fantastic
+ Riding position is good, if not a little more stretched out than the Daytona 675, but roomy none the less
+ No clouds of white smoke
+ Brakes are great, although I've not really tested them fully yet
+ LED instruments are clear - I prefer night mode even during the day.
+ Changing ride mode on the fly is a synch, you just need to let off the throttle and brakes (ABS only). Not really explored DES, EBC, ABS and DTC yet. Going to leave the quickshifter until I have more revs to play with as I don't want to chew up the transmission.
+ Star status - everyone waves/wants to see the bike.

o The throttle was a little slow to pick up several occasions when rolling on from slow speed after following traffic. I guess this comes with territory of a large capacity, high performance L-twin. Oddly, this seems to be linked to a change in the exhaust volume, which I assume is the action of an ECU controlled EXUP valve, or similar. Sometimes the exhaust is loud and then all of sudden it quietens down for no apparent reason, although itís always loud when rolling-on.
o I prefer the race throttle response to the road one.
o Bike runs between 70C and 95C at 15C ambient and lower speeds (<= 40mph). A lot of heat comes from the left side faring at speeds below 40mph so expect a cooked left leg. The bike seems to cope OK while queuing in traffic and I didn't hear the fan running at all. Not sure how it will do in high summer.
o Rear suspension fouls your left leg when you put your foot down, but itís very minor and not a problem.

- The side stand is a royal PITA I took to reaching down with my hand to deploy it as you have to be a contortionist to hook it out with your foot. I'm considering making a little winglet for it so that there's something fro your foot to connect with. If I devise a better way I'll let you know.
- Standard cans are very loud; expect attention from angry old age pensioners and your local police. Getting these cans past homologation noise tests must have involved bribery and/or a horses head. If your considering the termi's for sound alone, I'm not sure they're required.
- The standard (UK) number plate holder is ugly.
- Full run-in is 600miles/1000km at 6K and then a further 900miles/1500km at 7K. This is going to take a long while and I want to get it on track No chance of Aragon in May.
- Ducati clear tank protector is pants. Doesn't seem to stick to tank properly, that is unless my dealer made a mess of sticking it on.

I have the owners manual if anyone has any questions.

I'll keep you posted...

Old Apr 12th 2012, 06:22 PM   #2

Originally Posted by PaddockStand View Post
o The throttle was a little slow to pick up several occasions when rolling on from slow speed after following traffic. I guess this comes with territory of a large capacity, high performance L-twin. Oddly, this seems to be linked to a change in the exhaust volume, which I assume is the action of an ECU controlled EXUP valve, or similar. Sometimes the exhaust is loud and then all of sudden it quietens down for no apparent reason, although it’s always loud when rolling-on.
o I prefer the race throttle response to the road one.
Nice one.

As you've almost identified, I imagine that's just the 195LO setting smoothing the throttle response. Just change the Road setting to use 195HI as well.

Let us know if that's all it was.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Very good info. Thanks!

Dumb question about Jersey: how long are your rides? Not a big place, is it?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 06:32 PM   #4

Thanks for your detailed impressions. Great to hear that it handles better than the Daytona. As I get closer and closer to D-Day I'm already starting to miss mine, which I most likely will not be keeping.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 07:56 PM   #5

So amped after your write-up! I actually sold my 675R to get the Tric...if the 1199 handles better than that and with all the extra oomph, I'm going to be in heaven (or jail)! Although now you've just made the next 3-4 weeks EXTREMELy excrutiating...cant wait!

+4 on the awesome write-up!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 08:08 PM   #6

I Ride: '15 1299 Base, '15 R1, '16 Arctic Cat ZR8000RR
Thanks mate!

Your report seems the most credible so far. Please give us your input as you go along, we'll appreciate.
On our side of the pond we're still a few weeks away and patience is wearing thin
Old Apr 12th 2012, 08:16 PM   #7

I Ride: the road
Good stuff - thanks for the report!!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 08:29 PM   #8

I wonder which after market manufacturere will offer the first side stand dongle to fix that issue?

Sounds like you rode in the dark a bit. Thanks for the write-up!

Last edited by flynbulldog; Apr 12th 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 09:43 PM   #9

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
I usually use my heel to kick out near the top of the stand on any Italian bike. I know it's not as easy as the Japanese but once you figure it out it doesn't seem that complicated.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 12:59 AM   #10

I Ride: Ducati 848
Hey padddock stand thanks for that report and come back to us as soon as you can add anything. We're hanging out to hear.
Its great to hear from forumn riders what they think of the new bike... theres been a few seeds of doubt lately and we need to know we've made the right descision on the panegale.
In the 2012 lineup what a looker but what we want to know as well is it going to give us you know prolonged sessions of pure riding pleasure.
I've never ridden a 675 but have read some amazing reports on the bike its handling ..etc a lot of guys here use them on the track.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
impressions

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed