Ducati Forum

Ducati Forum (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-forum.php)
-   Ducati 1199 (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1199/)
-   -   Tricolore damaged at Open House (http://ducatiforum.com/ducati-1199/620-tricolore-damaged-open-house.html)

Chuck Apr 29th 2012 05:41 AM

Tricolore damaged at Open House

Visited a local dealer yesterday for their Panigale unveiling Open House. They got 2 "S" models and a Tricolore.

I was going to sit on the "S" model (since the Tri had a 'do not sit' sign on the seat), but it was on a Pitbull rear stand, so didn't bother. :(

The proud owner of the Tri, a younger Japanese guy arrived. I learned he had recently traded in an 848EVO with only a few hundred miles on it for a 1098 or 1198S (?SP), then traded that (after only putting on 405 miles) for a Tri. I was chatting with the dealer/owner and the Japanese buyer came over and said in broken english 'no mirrors'...he didn't like the mirrors and wanted them removed. The dealer said they were required (they also contain the turn signals). Again, 'no mirrors'. I speak Japanese...hai anata hitsuyo kagami. (yes, you need mirrors). :rolleyes:

After buying a pair of socks and a t-shirt, I told the sales clerk that they needed a section ONLY for Panigales. I mean, be serious, we cannot be expected to mingle with mere common Ducatis. LOL. :p

Well, three points of karma converge. 3 minutes later...SNAAAPPP. :eek: It seems the owner of the "S" model decided to sit on the bike while it was still on the Pitbull stand, then got off the wrong side of the bike and swung his leg into the Tri's mirror when doing so. They fold in...they don't fold down. ooops. His response "well, I owe you for a mirror." I was amazed to see how emotionless the Japanese buyer was. Partly such composure is due to their culture and he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. I told him it was karma...he didn't want those mirrors anyway. They scooted all the Panigales into the shop to swap mirrors. Felt bad for him just the same. :(

Ray916MN Apr 29th 2012 06:24 AM

They are only bikes, and anyone who is flipping from one bike to another bike in short order is likely to think of them this way. Personally, bikes really become cherished after they have covered many miles and years with me.

One of the reasons I'm getting a Panigale is to give my '95 916 a bit of deserved riding relief. I'm thinking having covered so many year, miles and places with me, it will go to the grave with me. At this point if my 916 got totaled, it would probably bother me more than if the Panigale gets totaled.

Xbox Apr 29th 2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray916MN (Post 8235)
They are only bikes, and anyone who is flipping from one bike to another bike in short order is likely to think of them this way. Personally, bikes really become cherished after they have covered many miles and years with me.

One of the reasons I'm getting a Panigale is to give my '95 916 a bit of deserved riding relief. I'm thinking having covered so many year, miles and places with me, it will go to the grave with me. At this point if my 916 got totaled, it would probably bother me more than if the Panigale gets totaled.

100% can relate to your thoughts.

jjmontesanto Apr 29th 2012 06:58 AM

Good read and discussion. This bike will actually go straight into 'cherished status' for me. It's probably because of how much of my disposable income (if there is such a thing) is going into it (i'm an enlisted soldier in the Army). But I also understand Ray's point about his 916 completely, my oldest Swiss watch carries that same status.

Frosty Apr 29th 2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray916MN (Post 8235)

As I'm still young and this will be my first Duc I hope to say the same thing about the Panigale in 2030 :) .

flynbulldog Apr 29th 2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmontesanto (Post 8240)
Good read and discussion. This bike will actually go straight into 'cherished status' for me. It's probably because of how much of my disposable income (if there is such a thing) is going into it (i'm an enlisted soldier in the Army). But I also understand Ray's point about his 916 completely, my oldest Swiss watch carries that same status.

How does an enlisted soldier afford Swiss watches, BMW's and a new Panigale?

big rocky Apr 29th 2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flynbulldog (Post 8247)

bit personal that !

flynbulldog Apr 29th 2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big rocky (Post 8248)
bit personal that !

haha you English are so uptight. relax, he can tell me to "get stuffed" himself.

jjmontesanto Apr 29th 2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flynbulldog (Post 8247)

I'm deployed a lot (you make more money while deployed), and my wife has two Master's degrees! :D

flynbulldog Apr 29th 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmontesanto (Post 8251)
I'm deployed a lot (you make more money while deployed), and my wife has two Master's degrees! :D

good for you, you deserve all the good things life has to offer. ;)