Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 29th 2012, 06:57 PM   #1

1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in

Mate of ours bought an 1199s in Berlin and shipped it to Sepang, Malaysia to use on track there. The bike is in street set up and standard other than a termi full system and the ducati race seat.

Fortunately, we were able to get the bike for him, uncrate it and start the run in process with his blessing (no track time for us tho )

Initial thoughts

The bike is very small compared to most litre bikes; more or less 600cc size. The whole thing is a lot thinner than previous models, with a very narrow top fairing and nose. The race seat adds at least 4cm in height which for me was fine as I'm over 6ft so could still comfortably touch the floor. It may be an issue for smaller guys/gals. The rear shock mounting looks weird and also looks like it will impede your riding but in truth I didnt even notice it was there. The mirrors are huge and in my opinion still unusable. The dash is very impressive - clear and bright and the menus easy to use. One gripe however which I will get to later. Not a fan of the matt carbon front fender either. The bike feels incredibly light - wheeling it around, even fully fuelled, was a breeze. Some of the guys said the side stand was difficult to get used to; personally i didnt find it to be an issue

Firing up

The bike was fuelled and started - the starter is like that on the Multistrada - flick up the switch to reveal the button. It takes a long time to start up but when it did the termis sounded sensational. The clutch sound has all but disappeared now that Ducati have used a wet multi-plate slipper, allowing you to hear the full bark of the full system

Riding

The first thing I noticed was how quick the steering was at low speeds - very different from the 1198s. At higher speed it needs a bit more input, but you arent wrestling with it. The power delivery is pretty smooth and the throttle, while sensitive, isnt difficult to get to grips with (pardon the pun). The bike heats up quickly and your right leg will soon notice the heat coming from the huge pipes. The temperature itself wasnt too bad (it was about 30 degrees C at Sepang the day we rode it) - and it certainly runs cooler than the 1198 most likely due to the bigger radiator. The quickshifter is good - not in my opinion as good as the BMW s1000rr's but pretty good for a twin. The brakes are phenomenal - once we had got some heat into the pads the stopping distances fell dramatically; there was no fade and the bite was good, inspiring confidence very quickly. I found it a little boggy at slow speeds, but I suspect thats due to the bike being brand new - had the same on my 1198s; that seemed to disappear after the first service. The TTX shock didnt bounce me around as much as the stock unit did on the old bike - the forks I felt dived a bit too much for my liking - if it was mine I'd definitely do a bit of fiddling with the settings, or maybe even fit stiffer springs

In to check the oil after a couple of hundred kms, a quick once over and out we went again. One thing to watch out for is the cap on the front brake reservoir - I noticed it rattling itself undone after only 250km, so worth tightening that up before you head off.

The Diablo supercorsas give fantastic levels of grip, although we were probably running pressures a touch too high for the conditions. The dashboard display is superb, except in very bright conditions (maybe fit a darker screen to help?) although the one thing I did find irritating was that over eager cancelling of turn signals will just lead into into the menu - often I'd exit a roundabout and find myself looking at whether I was in Sport, Race or Wet mode (as well as my speed), and not where the revs were which we were obviously keeping an eye on while running in. I have been told that trait is on the Multi too.

Summary

We managed to get about 500kms done between us on the day and the reviews all round were positive. This will be a weapon on the track - hopefully more on that soon as the owner is due to fly in this week and ride it on the track proper.

Old Apr 29th 2012, 07:06 PM   #2

Images

Some pics....
Attached Thumbnails
1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in-_36x5972.jpg   1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in-_36x5974.jpg   1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in-_36x5980.jpg   1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in-_36x5994.jpg   1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in-_36x5996.jpg  

1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in-_36x5998.jpg   1199s Landed in Sepang - uncrate and run in-_36x6006.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2012, 07:56 PM   #3

I Ride: 1199
Nice, thanks for the write-up. Gotta ask . . . any smoke?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Yep - quite a bit of smoke which is why we were prudent with the oil checks - have heard it burns oil first 100km or so
Old Apr 29th 2012, 08:13 PM   #5

Sorry - make that 1000km
Old Apr 29th 2012, 08:20 PM   #6

I Ride: '13 S ABS in the correct colour
Sounds like the owner is loaded....I'm in the wrong line of work lol .
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:30 PM   #7

For the turn lights, same thing with the Diavel.
You get used to it and it isn't an issue anymore.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199s, landed, run, sepang, uncrate

Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed