Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree5Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd 2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Northern CA and NW Arkansas, USA

Posts: 854
Thanks: 310

I Ride: 2012 1199S, 2008 Speed Triple
Question Chain Tool

As many of you have discovered, when we forked over ~ $25,000 to Ducati for their latest, glorious superbike, we did not pay for a chain adjustment tool.

To me, this is ridiculous; but, OK I figure I'll buy one because I should probably have the right tool for the job and not f#ck-up my bike by trying to do routine maintenance with whatever tool might, should, thought-it-would work.

My dealer sent me an apologetic email yesterday informing me that the cost for the chain adjustment tool was $129.50!

I'm travelling on business at the moment and thus cannot examine my bike to determine if I actually need the tool, or if one can make do without it.

Can one of you please have a look and advise, or let me know if you know of an alternate third-party tool?
Styler is offline  
 
Old May 23rd 2012, 02:54 AM   #2
Moderator
 
Xbox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: The Med

Posts: 2,546
Thanks: 532

I Ride: the road
You may want to have a word with them when you return, asking why they attempted to pull your pants down?

Non-OEM granted, but $15 from a variety of sources.

Such as this LINK to HERE
Xbox is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Styler's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Northern CA and NW Arkansas, USA

Posts: 854
Thanks: 310

I Ride: 2012 1199S, 2008 Speed Triple
Thank you; I will order an alternate tool.
The dealer was quoting the cost of the Ducati tool, which is set by Ducati.
Styler is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 03:40 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Xbox's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
From: The Med

Posts: 2,546
Thanks: 532

I Ride: the road
Talking

Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Thank you; I will order an alternate tool.
The dealer was quoting the cost of the Ducati tool, which is set by Ducati.
Still for such a basic item, I would expect the dealer to stock and sell a non-OEM item.

I love Ducati stuff as much as the next guy, also prepared to pay for it, but its kinda like if Ducati sold air for the tyres ..... I'd pass
Xbox is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 04:18 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ray916MN's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Minnesota

Posts: 212
Thanks: 20

I Ride: GSX-R750R LTD, 888, 916, 999R, 1199S Tri, RC51, RS250, Z1000SX, ZX7R M2, ZX7RR N1, WR426F
It is the same as the 1098/1198 tool.

What is interesting is increasingly bikes come with vestigial tool kits. I think this not only has to do with increasing margins, but also with achieving weight reductions. My last CBR only came with a single allen wrench.
Ray916MN is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Member
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Toronto Canada

Posts: 54
Thanks: 2

Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
My last CBR only came with a single allen wrench.
Thats cause it will never breakdown
Thanks from White13Pani
superfly999 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
PannyofDoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Seattle, WA

Posts: 246
Thanks: 10

I Ride: 1199 Tricolore (of DOOM)
Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
It is the same as the 1098/1198 tool.

What is interesting is increasingly bikes come with vestigial tool kits. I think this not only has to do with increasing margins, but also with achieving weight reductions. My last CBR only came with a single allen wrench.
My wife's 2010 RSV4 Factory has the same thing. An allen wrench snapped under the seat...
PannyofDoom is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 08:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
tstephenson's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
From: Lone Tree CO

Posts: 469
Thanks: 5

I Ride: 2012 1199 Panigale Tri
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
As many of you have discovered, when we forked over ~ $25,000 to Ducati for their latest, glorious superbike, we did not pay for a chain adjustment tool.

To me, this is ridiculous; but, OK I figure I'll buy one because I should probably have the right tool for the job and not f#ck-up my bike by trying to do routine maintenance with whatever tool might, should, thought-it-would work.

My dealer sent me an apologetic email yesterday informing me that the cost for the chain adjustment tool was $129.50!

I'm travelling on business at the moment and thus cannot examine my bike to determine if I actually need the tool, or if one can make do without it.

Can one of you please have a look and advise, or let me know if you know of an alternate third-party tool?

I had one delivered with my Multi and it should fit - which makes me slightly less pissed that I wont get one with a $28,000 Tri
tstephenson is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Retired
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
From: ga

Posts: 2,364
Thanks: 383

the rsv4 tool kit is under the seat. I tossed all the junk tools and use it to carry my reg and ins. THe allen wrench is to take the seat off to get to the tools.Strangely enough, I got a single sided swingarm adjustment tool in my a rsv4 pouch!

Chris

Originally Posted by PannyofDoom View Post
My wife's 2010 RSV4 Factory has the same thing. An allen wrench snapped under the seat...
zvez is offline  
Old May 23rd 2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
LDucati 1199S's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
From: Orlando, FL

Posts: 189
Thanks: 6

I Ride: 2012 Ducati 1199 Base ABS
There is one available on ebay for cheap that is meant for the 1199. I should have bought it but instead I just bought the special tool that the same company offers to remove the rear and front wheel. Product is top notch quality. Also they do ship international for those outside USA.

DUCATI PANIGALE CHAIN SPANNER TOOL..... DUCATI 1199 | eBay

Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore Front/Rear Wheel Nut Tool | eBay

Hope this helps
LDucati 1199S is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
chain, tool



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes



Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed