Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Ducati 1199 Ducati 1199 Forum - Ducati 1199 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd 2012, 03:46 PM   #1

I Ride: Ducati 1199 Base Model
Ducati 1199's popping up at show room floors

I was checking out Cycletrader.com and noticed pictures of 1199 S and Tricolores on their showroom floor pics. I have personally reserved a base model and waiting for that to come in, but I know some of you reserved Tricolores and S versions. go to that site, select the model and type in 1199, and you'll see pictures of them sitting on the showroom floors in different states in the U.S. My question is: If they were already reserved or presold, why post pics of it on the showroom floor and post it on a site that advertises selling bikes? Might be something to look into, maybe if they have some sitting on the showroom floor your dealer can have it moved to your location. Or maybe you can get your deposit back and go get it out of state. I also heard word that sometimes the dealers will have a bike moved to them, and then when their bike comes in, they give it back to the dealer they got the bike from. Btw, I went onto the main Ducati official site, and just for shits and giggles, I sent them an email in their contact form asking about when my base model was specifically going to arrive at my dealer, never thought theyd respond. But at 8 am Ducati called me all the way from Italy, and asked which model I had reserved and at what dealer and they said their sales department was going to contact me and let me know a more specific date when it was going to arrive. Hope all this info helps!

Old May 23rd 2012, 03:58 PM   #2

I'm gonna bet there is a possibility those dealers are just posting up pictures of delivered bikes to move potential buyers their way. Quite a few dealers have official Ducati pics up advertising the Panigale on CycleTrader and other sites... Just because a dealer has a pic of a bike, doesn't mean they actually have one to sell you.

Common dealer practice.
Old May 23rd 2012, 04:09 PM   #3

I Ride: 1199
Originally Posted by thomaskenyon View Post
I'm gonna bet there is a possibility those dealers are just posting up pictures of delivered bikes to move potential buyers their way. Quite a few dealers have official Ducati pics up advertising the Panigale on CycleTrader and other sites... Just because a dealer has a pic of a bike, doesn't mean they actually have one to sell you.

Common dealer practice.
+1, the conversation would probably go something like,

Potential buyer: "I saw that 1199 on your floor online, is it still available?"
Dealer: "No, that one just sold 14 seconds ago, but we can easily put one on order for you. Should only take a few days to get it in."
Interested party: "Ok, yes please."

1 month later:

Potential buyer: "Is my bike here yet?"
Dealer: "It should be here tomorrow."
Potential buyer: "That's what you've said everyday for the last 14 days . . . !?"
Dealer: "Yes, but this time I mean it, in the meantime, I have a $325 fender eliminator you might be interested for tomorrow when your bike comes in . ."

This is what I imagine from my personal experiences.
Old May 23rd 2012, 04:16 PM   #4

Originally Posted by jjmontesanto View Post
+1, the conversation would probably go something like,

Potential buyer: "I saw that 1199 on your floor online, is it still available?"
Dealer: "No, that one just sold 14 seconds ago, but we can easily put one on order for you. Should only take a few days to get it in."
Interested party: "Ok, yes please."

1 month later:

Potential buyer: "Is my bike here yet?"
Dealer: "It should be here tomorrow."
Potential buyer: "That's what you've said everyday for the last 14 days . . . !?"
Dealer: "Yes, but this time I mean it, in the meantime, I have a $325 fender eliminator you might be interested for tomorrow when your bike comes in . ."

This is what I imagine from my personal experiences.
Well, I contacted Ducati last Friday about when my bike was going to be in and they said they were going to send me info for an exact date. Might help people who want to know when theirs will be there. And I was just recommending that people do some checking around if they want to. Doesnt hurt me any if they do or dont get their bike, and you never know. I think one of the most common ideas on this site is that Ducati usually isnt very detailed about their information. We all heard what was SUPPOSED to happen and didnt, or what happened and DIDNT. Bikes showing up at dealer doorsteps without a warning at all, when they were supposed to get a VIN and everything. Odds are its possible there are bikes sitting on showroom floors right now that maybe no one has bought? Possible...
Old May 23rd 2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Yeah absolutely possible, we had a dealer on here advertising unsold bikes, from Florida and I didn't doubt what he was saying. That (my post) was just a sarcastic attempt at humor, and a jab at dealers. They will and do advertise bikes that are already sold. Why? Because it will definitely generate sales. I just think its a misleading practice on their part. But in the cutthroat world of vehicle sales in a recovering economy, the strong survive. Apologies if that all came out wrong.

I read your post on contacting Ducati and I'm interested to hear what they say.

Last edited by jjmontesanto; May 23rd 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old May 23rd 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Retired

I'm guessing it'll say something like this
"thanks so much for contacting Ducati North America. Your request is very important to us. In order for us to give you the best possible service, please contact your nearest ducati authorized dealer for timely assistance."

Sincerely,
blah blah blah.

Originally Posted by jjmontesanto View Post
Yeah absolutely possible, we had a dealer on here advertising unsold bikes, from Florida and I didn't doubt what he was saying. That (my post) was just a sarcastic attempt at humor, and a jab at dealers. They will and do advertise bikes that are already sold. Why? Because it will definitely generate sales. I just think its a misleading practice on their part. But in the cutthroat world of vehicle sales in a recovering economy, the strong survive. Apologies if that all came out wrong.

I read your post on contacting Ducati and I'm interested to hear what they say.
Old May 23rd 2012, 05:53 PM   #7

I Ride: 2007 S4RS (sold), 2008 1098S (sold), my wife's 2013 1199R, 2015 KTM RC390
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
"thanks so much for contacting Ducati North America. Your request is very important to us. In order for us to give you the best possible service, please contact your nearest ducati authorized dealer for timely assistance."

Sincerely,
blah blah blah.

+1, that has been my experience. They always blame the dealerships for any issues you might experience. Not sure what the reason for their existance is.
Old May 23rd 2012, 06:46 PM   #8

Originally Posted by zvez View Post

Sincerely,
blah blah blah.

No seriously, I sent them an email and they straight up called me from Italy this morning. He called me at 8 am and said sorry for calling you so early but we are 6 hours ahead of your time. Asked which dealer I reserved it at and some other information so they could track EXACTLY when it is supposed to arrive. We'll see what happens if I here from them again in the next couple days. They had to transfer the data to a different department.
Old May 23rd 2012, 06:53 PM   #9

I Ride: 2007 S4RS (sold), 2008 1098S (sold), my wife's 2013 1199R, 2015 KTM RC390
Originally Posted by elitesoldier357 View Post
No seriously, I sent them an email and they straight up called me from Italy this morning. He called me at 8 am and said sorry for calling you so early but we are 6 hours ahead of your time. Asked which dealer I reserved it at and some other information so they could track EXACTLY when it is supposed to arrive. We'll see what happens if I here from them again in the next couple days. They had to transfer the data to a different department.
If they called you straight from Italy it was not DNA.
Old May 23rd 2012, 06:59 PM   #10

Originally Posted by zaster View Post
If they called you straight from Italy it was not DNA.
We gotta miscommunication going on here and I somehow feel partially responsible. elite is talking about Ducati in Italy, and zaster is talking about Ducati North America.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1199

Tags
1199, ducati, floors, popping, room, show