Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree3Thanks
  • 2 Post By SPJ
  • 1 Post By Steve B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 03:26 PM   #1

Thoughts on the "fixed" mode settings for suspension on the "S"

In reading as much as I can on the new 1299, I watched a YouTube video showing some of the functions that are new to the 1299; one that piqued my interest was the "fixed" setting for the suspension that allows us to manually set our preferred settings.

I rode a BMW HP4 at a local track and the issue was that the bike behaved differently almost every time I went through certain corners; it didn't inspire confidence... On my BMW S1000RR on stock suspension that was set up by Dave Moss, at least it was consistent, if slightly crap.

Can anyone tell me how the Panigale 1199 S suspension works at the track and what your opinion on the "fixed" mode upcoming on the 1299 S is? I am thinking it could be just the ticket for track days, providing consistency and yet for the street, we get the Wizardry of the electronically controlled suspension.

Comments/input?

Cheers.

Old Feb 3rd 2015, 04:31 PM   #2
SPJ

Not a new criticism with the HP4 on the track, seems to come up regularly. The 1299S has both fixed (conventional) and 'dynamic' Ohlins suspension.

Fixed suspension is exactly the same as on the 1199. Both compression and rebound are set electronically (via the steppers) and don't change whilst on the move giving you consistent feedback.

The 'dynamic' setting is event based (5 settings I think from soft - hard), it takes into account a host of factors and will adjust whilst on the move. Unlike the BMW however it doesn't try and 'read' the track, it just adjusts depending upon what the bike is doing. Again this should give more consistent performance regardless of track conditions.

It certainly seemed to be popular with the biking press at the 1299 launch. Back to back tests will be here soon, I think it'll become clearer over the next few months which system is best for which environment.
Thanks from scotman623 and 80shilling

Last edited by SPJ; Feb 3rd 2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 11:44 PM   #3

I Ride: 2018 V4s
The 1199S suspension has fixed settings for the 3 modes. From experience the race mode is bloody hard and I have yet to find road that will allow you to run the suspension that hard.

The dealer settings for each are as follows:

Race
Front compression 6
Front rebound 7
Rear compression 9
Rear rebound 11
Sport
Front compression 18
Front rebound 12
Rear compression 24
Rear rebound 16
Wet
Front compression 28
Front rebound 18
Rear compression 28
Rear rebound 18

Plenty of scope to muck around with.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 01:51 AM   #4

I Ride: 2012 1199S - 2006 Husaberg 450E BMW K1300S 1978 Ducati 900SSD
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
The 1199S suspension has fixed settings for the 3 modes. From experience the race mode is bloody hard and I have yet to find road that will allow you to run the suspension that hard.

The dealer settings for each are as follows:

Race
Front compression 6
Front rebound 7
Rear compression 9
Rear rebound 11
Sport
Front compression 18
Front rebound 12
Rear compression 24
Rear rebound 16
Wet
Front compression 28
Front rebound 18
Rear compression 28
Rear rebound 18

Plenty of scope to muck around with.
I think he is talking about the 1299 not the 1199. I am also wondering if by "fixed" mode he may be talking about the "F" and "P" Flat rate and Progressive rate linkage adjustment for the spring.

Otherwise I am puzzled by the reference to "fixed".
Old Feb 4th 2015, 01:57 AM   #5

I Ride: the road
Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
I think he is talking about the 1299 not the 1199. I am also wondering if by "fixed" mode he may be talking about the "F" and "P" Flat rate and Progressive rate linkage adjustment for the spring.

Otherwise I am puzzled by the reference to "fixed".
No, he means turning off the event-based suspension reactions, making it behave like regular 1199 DES

I would imagine event-based is either on or off, regardless of the suspension settings. That makes sense to me at least.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 04:21 AM   #6
SPJ

Originally Posted by Xbox View Post
No, he means turning off the event-based suspension reactions, making it behave like regular 1199 DES

I would imagine event-based is either on or off, regardless of the suspension settings. That makes sense to me at least.
Agreed. I think this is the video he's referring to.

It looks like you can have 'dynamic' (event based) on or off. When on there are 5 settings to chose from. When off it reverts to the 'fixed' settings you've entered into the DES, at least that's how I interpret it.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 08:13 AM   #7

Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Agreed. I think this is the video he's referring to.

It looks like you can have 'dynamic' (event based) on or off. When on there are 5 settings to chose from. When off it reverts to the 'fixed' settings you've entered into the DES, at least that's how I interpret it.
Bingo... That's the one. Looks interesting and would let us pick a fixed set of parameters and it should allow for complete consistency of behaviour at the track, if I am understanding it correctly.

Cheers.
Old Feb 4th 2015, 08:13 AM   #8

I Ride: '12 1199, '13 KTM990SMT
Fixed mode will work as a normal suspension would; same settings all the time. Dynamic will let you run for instance, softer damper settings for steady state running (think long corner, high lean), with adjustable damping increases under high accel/decel circumstances to minimize dive & squat. As you can apparently tune how much stiffer you want it to get under the hard/harder/etc. settings used in dynamic, you can have small adaptations or larger, or as noted just turn it off altogether. This is what DES should have done when first implemented IMHO; if it had I'd have bought an S instead of a base.
Thanks from 80shilling

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
fixed, mode, settings, suspension, thoughts

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.