Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree15Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 29th 2015, 10:25 AM   #21
Member
 
ManofManyGTs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: South Carolina, USA

Posts: 62
Thanks: 12

I Ride: 1299s
I rode the new BMW s1000rr the other day and noticed that the downshifter autoblipper was cool, but the lever action felt very strange and vague. It was like stepping in sand.

Can any body who has actually ridden a 1299 speak about the actual lever feel?
ManofManyGTs is offline  
 
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:31 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Claymore's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
From: South Africa

Posts: 1,329
Thanks: 501

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
Quickshifter will work as you describe...no need for a blip...Cars dont blip....
Even my Peugeot 1007 had auto blips when I downshifted before Smart Racing / Vision West stuffed her up. Now she puts 210 kw on the wheels and 380 nm torque, but now has a manual gearbox.
Claymore is offline  
Old Mar 29th 2015, 12:52 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2014
From: Newcastle, Australia

Posts: 187
Thanks: 49

I Ride: 2018 V4S
Originally Posted by Stw View Post
Quickshifter will work as you describe...no need for a blip...Cars dont blip....
I know this is beside the point but my car blips on down shifts when using the paddles.
HFW003 is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2015, 01:41 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Cali

Posts: 127
Thanks: 20



How the new 1299S AUTO-BLIP WORKS. Take a look at this video. Pay particular attention to his right hand and amount of twist During up shift and down shift. Too bad the old guys with the clip board comes into view half way into the Video.

Last edited by DEDuc1299S; Apr 4th 2015 at 01:43 PM.
DEDuc1299S is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2015, 10:58 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Mutt1979's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
From: East England, UK

Posts: 1,351
Thanks: 778

I Ride: Panigale V4S
Originally Posted by ManofManyGTs View Post
I rode the new BMW s1000rr the other day and noticed that the downshifter autoblipper was cool, but the lever action felt very strange and vague. It was like stepping in sand.

Can any body who has actually ridden a 1299 speak about the actual lever feel?
It is very much the same. You have to be very positive on the down shift, like really push so you can feel yourself physically pulling and disengaging the gears.

Again, it does feel vague as you've said. It will take some getting used to and the throttle has to be completely shut off too.
Mutt1979 is offline  
Old Apr 5th 2015, 01:51 AM   #26
Member
 
Samieb's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
From: Manchester UK

Posts: 38
Thanks: 13

I Ride: 1199SL/ 1098R/ S2R1000/ M1100S
My understanding of the 'AutoBlipper' is the revs are too low when changing down gear. So as not to lock the rear wheel or indeed break the gearbox (eventually). The Autoblipper engages to increase the revs to assist when changing down a gear or 2. Think of it as 'Double De-clutching' whereby you touch the throttle to increase the revs with a manual gearbox. This is the 'old fashioned' method of an Auto Blipper. In my opinion at least.

Notice in the video, () how the Dyno guy opens the throttle to do upshifts and closes the throttle to downshift. Upon downshifts the AutoBlipper is engaged. On the SL I tend to use the clutch on Downshifts and from 1st into 2nd gear. From 2nd unto 6th I allow the DQS to do its job. Having used a paddle shift system in cars for many years its natural to do things in a similar way and my other bikes don't have DQS. Thereby rolling off and on to change up the gearbox.

Last edited by Samieb; Apr 5th 2015 at 01:55 AM.
Samieb is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2015, 08:39 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Chaotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,358
Thanks: 1057

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Originally Posted by bradp51 View Post
Are you sure you are buying the right bike ?
Kinda what I was thinking.

To the OP, there is no valid reason to be downshifting with the throttle open. Even in the aforementioned scenario of wanting to drop a gear to pass cars (which shouldn't be necessary on a huge V-Twin), you would/could/should roll out of the gas and downshift. The only difference is that on the 1299 you won't have to use the clutch.
Chaotic is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2015, 09:05 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2015
From: NJ

Posts: 178
Thanks: 49

Originally Posted by Mutt1979 View Post
It is very much the same. You have to be very positive on the down shift, like really push so you can feel yourself physically pulling and disengaging the gears.

Again, it does feel vague as you've said. It will take some getting used to and the throttle has to be completely shut off too.
It doesn't feel vague on 1299 it feels perfect , you feel shifting of the gears as same as you go up in gears, QS up shifting or down shifting is very nice and presize with no delays unlike S1000rr it takes time like few seconds , I've herd with 2015 s1000rr on down shift it almost feel like you pressing on a button ( not a good feel) what also I notice I hope it's not a problem down the road using QS going up in gears from 5th to 6th gear bike missed the gear and hit the limiter it happen twice to me within few first miles on the bike, I am hoping it's just a break in period glitch
NotR1GSXZXR is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:59 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Duck41's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
From: Lake Wobegon

Posts: 862
Thanks: 371

I Ride: 1199S ABS
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Kinda what I was thinking.

To the OP, there is no valid reason to be downshifting with the throttle open. Even in the aforementioned scenario of wanting to drop a gear to pass cars (which shouldn't be necessary on a huge V-Twin), you would/could/should roll out of the gas and downshift. The only difference is that on the 1299 you won't have to use the clutch.
I disagree. The question of whether it is truly necessary to downshift in that scenario really isn't relevant, just as trying to determine whether it would actually be necessary for any sports car to do the same when overtaking another vehicle on the highway isn't relevant. Most of what these bikes are capable of isn't really necessary for operating on public roads to begin with, but that certainly doesn't deter manufacturers or motor enthusiasts from continuously striving to enhance performance.

I agree that for a system without downshifting quick shift functionality, a rider would/could/should roll off the throttle in this scenario; however, I believe a quick shift downshift system should allow for partial and full throttle downshifts, much like the functionality that is currently available on many modern vehicles. I am curious as to whether the aftermarket system Jarel is currently working on utilizes a throttle position sensor.
Duck41 is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2015, 11:30 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Chaotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,358
Thanks: 1057

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Originally Posted by Duck41 View Post
I disagree. The question of whether it is truly necessary to downshift in that scenario really isn't relevant, just as trying to determine whether it would actually be necessary for any sports car to do the same when overtaking another vehicle on the highway isn't relevant. Most of what these bikes are capable of isn't really necessary for operating on public roads to begin with, but that certainly doesn't deter manufacturers or motor enthusiasts from continuously striving to enhance performance.

I agree that for a system without downshifting quick shift functionality, a rider would/could/should roll off the throttle in this scenario; however, I believe a quick shift downshift system should allow for partial and full throttle downshifts, much like the functionality that is currently available on many modern vehicles. I am curious as to whether the aftermarket system Jarel is currently working on utilizes a throttle position sensor.
It is apparent they designed the bike with racetrack performance in mind, as it is obviously way overkill for anything anyone would do on the street. And as I am sure you are aware, on the track you are downshifting as you are braking, and you definitely do NOT want the throttle open in that scenario. That is a quick way to lose the front (almost happened to me racing the R1 at Road Atlanta 5-6 years ago).

With the design/intended purpose of the bike, and with the way the electronics are intended to maximize performance, I see absolutely no reason for them to allow downshifts with the throttle open.

On the street, that stuff really doesn't matter. There are no trophies awarded, nobody is tracking the time it takes to get to the store and back. Just ride it. If you need to downshift, close the throttle and do it. Or if you want to keep the throttle cracked for some reason, pull in the clutch.

Last edited by Chaotic; Apr 19th 2015 at 11:32 PM.
Chaotic is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, blipper, correctly, operate



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downshift "Blipper" Function - You want? jarelj Ducati 1199 252 Jul 29th 2016 08:46 PM
Dilemma: 1299 Panigale S stock exhaust or 1299 Panigale Akrapovic kojtl1000 Ducati 1299 19 Sep 6th 2015 06:49 AM
1299 - available? Foo Ducati 1299 9 Nov 6th 2014 04:43 AM
End of R and new 1299? Claymore Ducati 1299 163 Oct 27th 2014 12:58 PM
Blipper & cruise control Si1199 Mechanical and Technical 19 Jan 10th 2014 08:25 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed