Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree39Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 26th 2015, 04:24 PM   #31

I Ride: 13, white 1199 S, 10 Husaberg 450FE
Originally Posted by SecretlyaFish View Post
I'm sure I can look in this exact forum and find someone saying "it only goes as fast as you make it go".
Non sequitur.

Old Apr 26th 2015, 04:39 PM   #32

If you had a motorcycle that could essentially eliminate almost all rider error from the equation, wouldn't that be best?

There is no such bike. Can you bring more then rhetoric?
Old Apr 26th 2015, 04:41 PM   #33

I Ride: 1299s
This thread is a waste of cyber space. That poor, poor data.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 04:51 PM   #34

Originally Posted by JDBeretta View Post
This thread is a waste of cyber space. That poor, poor data.

I have seen crowbars with a higher IQ then the intellect it takes to think this would make a good first bike.

Sad thing is OP acts like this is the first time we have debated this nonsense.

Its the same for a 600 CC sportbike forum, same crap another day
Thanks from JDBeretta

Last edited by outhouse; Apr 27th 2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 05:44 PM   #35

I Ride: A snotty, noisy, ill tempered bag of arseholes 1199...but god I love it!
Riding a bike is all about fun.

Riding a 200hp bike with no experience that you are terrified of will do nothing for your skill levels and isnt fun.

Buy a small bike, thrash the tits off it and develop your riding skills then get the bike of your dreams. Besides less chance of reducing your life expectancy, you will have a lot more fun, both on the small bike and on the bigger bike when you are ready for it.
Thanks from 80shilling
Old Apr 26th 2015, 09:36 PM   #36

We get this kind of threads once every two weeks it seems.
Having said that, I do think 899 would be within the realm of ok-choices when it comes to learning to ride, if such rider insists on having to look cool in the process. Especially for our american friends.

Down here in NZ you are mandated to start with something more humbling (using power-to-weight ration) for the first 2 years, for obvious reasons. But I agree, ABS etc would make a bike safer to learn on (than the same one without). But they do not make a space shuttle + mission control team a good plane to learn to fly.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:12 PM   #37

I really don't care less what someone buys to be honest . For anyone starting get a DRZ 400 .
Old Apr 26th 2015, 10:22 PM   #38
SPJ

Since when is touching the ground considered safe? Just like the other guy talking about being "good", you guys come off to me as trying to say that, if you can't ride how you would on a track, you aren't good/are a danger to others.

I feel like its just human nature but the art of puffing oneself up in order to feel better/superior to others doing the same thing really is evident here in the motorcycle community. You get it in video games a lot and I feel like the people who ride motorcycles think of themselves as some kind of superhero's like they are special or somehow extremely skilled for doing something that well, lets be honest, anyone who gets into an accident on a bike deserves a darwin award. Its one of the most dangerous things you can do.

Perfect example of that is the guys who laugh at someone who hasn't use up their "chicken strips". I would imagine diving that deep into a corner in most cases is unnecessary, but people do it anyway either to prove their own abilities to others or themselves, and almost everyone likes to try and elevate themselves above others, as the guy who I originally had a dialog with used a generic diss/putdown like squid in just his second post.

I do not doubt that you guys are right, it would certainly be better for a new rider to start on a smaller bike, and I may do just that. I was thinking of just the base 1299 panigale, I don't see spending an extra 5-6k on a bike I'd never bring to a track. But a used 250 or 300 for a summer, why not? You guys are right, and no, I'm not looking for validation.

I was looking for different opinions on things etc. Obviously everyone has a different story and usually, when people do things a certain way and it works for them, people are quick to say "no you should do it this way" because they have no experience trying it some other way.

My friend with the Busa is probably a better rider than at least some of you here, regardless of how you started or what bike you first rode, in the dirt or tarmac, etc etc.

At the end of the day, I still have not even ridden a motorcycle, I'm 25, I don't have a huge ego, and I like to do things only for myself, and I don't try to impress people. This summer or next, once I actually have saved enough to put a down payment on a bike I like, I will try one of those motorcycle classes where they give you a bike and they teach you etc.

Maybe I won't even like riding, who knows. Maybe I'll feel not so confident and get a small bike or maybe I'll feel great and get the 1299. Who knows.

Cheers
You misunderstand me. When I said 'he could barely touch the ground' I was talking about his feet when he came to a stop. The point being this person bought a bike that clearly wasn't suitable for them, they also had no feel or experience with the controls. I'd wager my mortgage this guy was going to touch his head down long before his knee.

Do you think we all have a superiority complex? Or could it just be that most of us have been biking for a while and realise the pitfalls of having a Panigale (indeed any Superbike) as your first machine?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 08:28 AM   #39

All those bikes you mentioned are perfectly safe if you ride them slow.

They're only dangerous because someone got carried away and exceeded their skill level. An 1199 can exceed the skill level of 90% the people here in just a second or two. (if that)

Yes, the electronics help. A lot. But not if you over cooked a turn, or just plain don't "get it" yet.

So I ride my 1199 like a poser. Slowly learnig and increasing my skill. Enjoying relaxed track days in the novice group. When I want to push my limits, I ride my DRZ400s in the dirt. Dirt riding will teach you not to flinch when the bike slides or jumps around. Do it. A nice street legal DRZ400S cost less than a spare 1199 fuel tank. Sorry, but Ducati SBK's shouldn't ever be someones only bike. Maybe a Monster or other Ducati, but not the SBK's.

Anyone that makes fun of my Chicken strips is a FOOL. There is NO safe practical way to get all of my tire on the ground anywhere on the street. Blind turns and dirty roads. That's just the way it is. And the tires wear square so quick that by the time you get to your scheduled track day, the rear needs replaced anyways. That tire won't have chicken strips, but any tire that doesn't get spooned on before a track day surely will.

The people that chest bump nonsense about Chicken Strips and which bike has 1 more horsepower than the other are the people you need to stay away from. F them. Experienced riders don't bench race and run their mouths. They ride. Eventually you'll be able to spot them easy. Avoid the perpetual squids.

(Perpetual Squids=Squids that never grow up, 40 year old squids with 20 years experience that can get owned by any newb with 1 track class under their belts. Just go to Deals Gap for those. They're the same braggarts that refuse to go to a track day, because they know, deep down, that they're going to get owned by a 16 year old girl on an SV. Their fragile little limp EGO's can't handle that. Pathetic.)

I can't ride like the fast guys yet. But I can cross "Ride a real Ducati SBK on a world class permanent road course." of my bucket list. Most people don't get to experience that. And my ego isn't going to get hurt by a 16 year old girl passing me and showing me all the fast lines on the track.
Thanks from BROsiah, The Avidmoto and slickwill

Last edited by Buliwyf; Apr 27th 2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 08:39 AM   #40

I Ride: 2015 Pani R, VFR, XR650R Supermoto
I spent some time racing an XR100 supermoto as a grown adult. I learned more doing that than riding any of my other bikes. It had about 6hp. I also have an XR650R built to 60hp at the rear wheel. The track we raced on had 10 turns in 0.8 miles. My lap times on the XR100 were only 1.5 seconds a lap slower than the bike with 10x more power.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bike, ride, safer

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.