Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree39Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 13th 2019, 07:04 AM   #71

Originally Posted by 007 View Post

I do put alot of miles on the road though. What was the last superbike you rode?
The last one was a 2010 GSXR 1000, the closest thing it had to any nannies was a 3 way selectable engine map. Plus I put on an after market quickshifter (no auto blip though, upshifts only).

Old Mar 13th 2019, 10:22 AM   #72

Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I feel like dirt bike riding teaches you finesse, personally i havent ridden dirt in awhile.
Maybe finnese is a way to describe it. I dunno. For me, it's learning to feel under control when grip is not ideal and you are sliding. Front end slide into a corner, rear end out of a corner. That's what dirt bike taught me. Watch a fast guy at a track day and then watch dovi on TV. Both know good lines, both have good braking markers, etc. But watch how dovi looks like he's sliding on ice for the last 50ft of a braking segment while tipping into a corner. Watch how he has perfectly controlled chaos with his grip and everything else into and out of corners.

That's what you learn on dirt (albeit to a lesser degree than dovi can do), as you push it, in an environment that forces you to learn that, and is more forgiving of mistakes (Easier recovery) and even more forgiving when you don't recover and put yourself into the ground (soft dirt vs pavement, and speeds way lower).

You cannot be truly fast until you learn to operate right at that edge of the envelope, when you are controlling what many riders would consider out of control chaos.

You can learn this on the dirt so much better. You don't destroy your body or your bike while you find that edge and learn to dance on it. You also have more gradual slides, to learn to ride the slide without huge risk of it turning to a high side as soon as you aren't 100% on your game.

That's my take on it. It's worth what you paid for it
Thanks from trooper3
Old Mar 13th 2019, 12:01 PM   #73

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R and 2018 1299rFE
Originally Posted by SecretlyaFish View Post
He rides track events now, or did when we actually had a track here. What bike you start on literally has no correlation to what an individual can learn to do. All depends on the individual. For me, I don't care about being a "good" rider. As long as I can be safe and have fun riding the bike, that is all that matters to me. I don't care about hot fast I can cut a corner or impressing people who might think because I can't corner as fast or w/e, that I suck.

Only reason I would ride a bike is to satisfy myself, nobody else.
I can say this - Track events if being taught by a good school or rider will tell you these track days make you a better rider - A SAFER RIDER. A better rider and a safer rider go hand and hand.
Thanks from trooper3
Old Mar 14th 2019, 12:19 AM   #74

Originally Posted by AmpForE View Post
Ahh yes, the ultimate squid video.

I think any cycle with Cornering ABS, TC, and Wheelie control are safer than those that do not have those rider aids, but they are probably better suited for medium skill riders. Noobs often creep up to the limits then target fixate, are afraid to lean the bike, or react to slowly.

Get what you want but know a lighter bike that transitions well, with at a min ABS is best for new riders. And practice testing the limits of the ABS system. Far too new riders donít do this.

I watched a kid who just bought an R6 on Friday slam on his brakes at highway speed and go over the top. He broke is collar bone but it could have been worse.
I agree with you mostly, other than the fact not all rider aids behave the same or are of the same quality. My previous bike, an ebr 1190rx has the worst traction control system ive ever used other than the one in my ford lol.

It was pointless, too obtrusive no matter how much you changed it up or down, was practically a gimmick. Never had it on after that.

Lol glad you liked the vid.

Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
The last one was a 2010 GSXR 1000, the closest thing it had to any nannies was a 3 way selectable engine map. Plus I put on an after market quickshifter (no auto blip though, upshifts only).
I love gsxr's, no other fact other than their bulletproof. Not the prettiest bike but hard to kill. Good bikes.

Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
Maybe finnese is a way to describe it. I dunno. For me, it's learning to feel under control when grip is not ideal and you are sliding. Front end slide into a corner, rear end out of a corner. That's what dirt bike taught me. Watch a fast guy at a track day and then watch dovi on TV. Both know good lines, both have good braking markers, etc. But watch how dovi looks like he's sliding on ice for the last 50ft of a braking segment while tipping into a corner. Watch how he has perfectly controlled chaos with his grip and everything else into and out of corners.

That's what you learn on dirt (albeit to a lesser degree than dovi can do), as you push it, in an environment that forces you to learn that, and is more forgiving of mistakes (Easier recovery) and even more forgiving when you don't recover and put yourself into the ground (soft dirt vs pavement, and speeds way lower).

You cannot be truly fast until you learn to operate right at that edge of the envelope, when you are controlling what many riders would consider out of control chaos.

You can learn this on the dirt so much better. You don't destroy your body or your bike while you find that edge and learn to dance on it. You also have more gradual slides, to learn to ride the slide without huge risk of it turning to a high side as soon as you aren't 100% on your game.

That's my take on it. It's worth what you paid for it
I totally agree, much safer to learn in the dirt than on a road track with a road bike, not going as fast etc therefore in theory you shouldnt be as vulnerable to serious injury. Although that also depends where you're riding too. If you're out in the bush, well you're rolling the dice. As my friend did who came off and his knee hit a rock when he landed and it needed a full reconstruction afterwards.

Nice example there with dovi. I might have to get back on the dirt...

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bike, ride, safer

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.