Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree14Thanks
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1st 2015, 09:02 AM   #41
Banned
 
fzr100098's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 822
Thanks: 154

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299 Base
It was a new bike of course and not broken in, also I'm not sure what setting was selected for the wheelie control, that may have had something to do with it. It's fast, but the S1000RR was scary fast
fzr100098 is offline  
 
Old May 1st 2015, 09:44 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
80shilling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 946
Thanks: 793

Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
It was a new bike of course and not broken in, also I'm not sure what setting was selected for the wheelie control, that may have had something to do with it. It's fast, but the S1000RR was scary fast
Having owned both and having put over 53,000 miles on my S1000RR, I can tell you that the 1229 has to be run in race mode to get all the power out of it. The S1000RR is the same in race and slick modes, it's just that in slick, the throttle response becomes a bit sharper, but the power is identical.

My S1000RR had a full Akrapovic race system, custom tune, BMC race filter and made 185 rwhp on crappy california gasoline and a very tired old engine, so they are VERY fast, but my 1299 is faster in every regard, other than maybe a standing 1/4 mile. I just did some roll-ons with a friend who weighs 10 lbs more than me on his 2015 S1000RR and he loses about three bike lengths to me and more; we shut it off at around 170, so we don;'t know if the S1000RR claws it back on the top end.

Either way, both bikes are stupid fast, but the 1299 in race mode comes on SO hard from about 5K rpm, that the BMW can't stay with it until it gets up to around 9,000 rpm; THEN it's neck and neck.

Cheers.
Thanks from fzr100098
80shilling is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 09:53 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Grayson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2014
From: USA

Posts: 443
Thanks: 187

Originally Posted by 80shilling View Post
Having owned both and having put over 53,000 miles on my S1000RR, I can tell you that the 1229 has to be run in race mode to get all the power out of it. The S1000RR is the same in race and slick modes, it's just that in slick, the throttle response becomes a bit sharper, but the power is identical.

My S1000RR had a full Akrapovic race system, custom tune, BMC race filter and made 185 rwhp on crappy california gasoline and a very tired old engine, so they are VERY fast, but my 1299 is faster in every regard, other than maybe a standing 1/4 mile. I just did some roll-ons with a friend who weighs 10 lbs more than me on his 2015 S1000RR and he loses about three bike lengths to me and more; we shut it off at around 170, so we don;'t know if the S1000RR claws it back on the top end.

Either way, both bikes are stupid fast, but the 1299 in race mode comes on SO hard from about 5K rpm, that the BMW can't stay with it until it gets up to around 9,000 rpm; THEN it's neck and neck.

Cheers.

I'm very interested in your daily commute thoughts on your other thread. I currently have a s1000rr but miss Ducati.
Grayson is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 10:00 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
80shilling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 946
Thanks: 793

Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
I'm very interested in your daily commute thoughts on your other thread. I currently have a s1000rr but miss Ducati.
No doubt the BMW is the better commute bike, if purely for the lack of heat. I commuted on the 1299 yesterday in 85-90 degree heat and it was definitely an issue... Not enough to make me not want to commute on the 1299, but still not as pleasant as I would like. Other than that, the 1299 works great for me... Slim, nimble feels a LOT lighter.

I am running in race mode, dtc 3, dwc 4, ABS 3 for my commute and it works fantastically.
80shilling is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 10:01 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
80shilling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 946
Thanks: 793

Here's a BMW S1000RR and a Panigale 1299S at the racetrack and the Panigale is definitely faster on the straights.. you can see twice where the Panigale gets by pretty easily.

OK... Turns out that's an 1199R, the guy who published the video found out later it was an 1199... The video captions are wrong, but still.. no slouch is the 1199R. I suspect the 1299 would do better still, given it's stronger midrange.

Basically, two VERY fast bikes in a straight line.



Last edited by 80shilling; May 1st 2015 at 10:08 AM.
80shilling is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 11:05 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Grayson's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2014
From: USA

Posts: 443
Thanks: 187

I hardly ever commute, never did on the 848 or the 1098 but rode the hell of my Hyper, 6000 miles in the 5 months I had it.

Utimately im interested in real world dyno charts and overall satisfaction from early adopters before I decide.
Grayson is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 11:33 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
cosmok's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: Somewhere in a constant state of non compos mentis...

Posts: 529
Thanks: 186

I Ride: My wife... when she let's me!
53,000 miles is very impressive! I love to hear of the guys who really get the most out of their bikes. I'm glad you're enjoying the hell out of your new 1299. The BMW is just so unattractive!!
cosmok is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 02:09 PM   #48
Banned
 
fzr100098's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 822
Thanks: 154

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299 Base
Decided to get the 1299 Base, put money on it today - thanks shilling and everyone else for your feedback

The S1000RR is an awesome machine, but in the end the 1299 won me over
Thanks from 80shilling
fzr100098 is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 02:18 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
love2ride's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
From: Calgary, AB, Canada

Posts: 102
Thanks: 41

Congratulations mate! I think you made the right decision!
love2ride is offline  
Old May 1st 2015, 02:45 PM   #50
Junior Member
 
bigbang's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 8
Thanks: 0

I Ride: Panigale 1299 (looking)
Congrats man. Totally jealous. I'll look out for you in Charlotte.
bigbang is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
base, finally, models, rollin



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experiences with different Ducati models CaliDuc Motorcycle Talk 2 Nov 9th 2013 11:35 AM
2014 Ducati Models?? Stw Motorcycle Talk 52 Sep 12th 2013 06:46 PM
Those with the 2013 models... does yours smoke ? Whoopazz Ducati 1199 27 Feb 11th 2013 04:32 PM
Got the vin # for my BASE FINALLY! d1098man Ducati 1199 11 May 27th 2012 12:35 PM
This week is finally here .. are any Base/ Standards here to match?? RepDucWayne Ducati 1199 55 May 24th 2012 09:57 PM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed