Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree13Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 23rd 2015, 01:02 PM   #1

A little over 2,100 miles on my 1299S...

The whole experience keeps getting better and better.

I took a 120 something mile ride up the coast today, concentrating on evaluating each characteristic of the bike. Engine, handling, brakes, electronics, suspension.

Each time I convinced myself that the brakes were what was the most outstanding, or the engine, or the suspension, I changed my mind after concentrating on the next characteristic.

The brakes are fully bedded in and easily the best I have experienced on a motorcycle. Powerful, good initial bite without being too grabby, progressive as you squeeze them... Very nice control available in all phases of braking.

The suspension works incredibly well. I am running in dynamic mode and for the roads around me, I run in default settings; any harder and the bike doesn't absorb the bumps, any softer and it makes the bike a bit loose for my tastes. I added some preload at the rear and it helped make the bike feel more balanced. I went from 28 mm to 24 mm of sag and that seems to be right for me. The front, I have kept at 35 mm of rider sag.

The wheelie control keeps working really well, I have learned to trust it and just stay on the gas.. Level 2 or 3 seems best for the street.

Finally, the engine. I really got to ride the bike hard for the first time today and I mean really hard, as far as street riding (for me).. Not track hard, but pushing my limits I put on myself to keep my street riding sane. The engine is a freaking marvel... If you ride the bike and keep the engine "on the boil" as we would say back home in Scotland, it is a phenomenon... If the revs never fall below, say 6,000 rpm, there is never a single moment where the bike is short on thrust.. Instantaneous, immediate, thumping hard thrust.

The traction out of corners is mind-blowing.. With the engine bellowing around 7,000 rpm, you get LAUNCHED out from the apex of the corner... There is a long series of twisties on my ride, that are more like a series of medium speed chicanes all linked together than anything else I can think of calling them...

Firing out of the apex then shifting at 11,000 rpm and flicking the bike over the top and to the opposite side is effortless... All second and third gear stuff.. Trail brake hard towards the next apex, slowly reduce pressure on the brake lever as you reach the lowest point of your lean and then slowly start to apply power as your flick the bike upright, getting harder on the throttle as you fire it back out and lock your eyes forward to the next apex....

Just a brilliant machine; superbly integrated and such a feeling that you are communicating with some kind of living entity as you ride it..

I can't get enough of riding this thing.. It has character and personality in spades and it is exactly what I have been wishing for, in terms of a motorcycle.. It checks every single box for me and so far, I have not got one single thing to complain about... Not a niggle, not an annoyance, zero.
Thanks from karrl, flobrandx, Stw and 5 others

Last edited by 80shilling; May 23rd 2015 at 01:05 PM.

Old May 23rd 2015, 01:17 PM   #2

I Ride: red 2015 Multistrada
That's awesome that you are enjoying the bike so much. I live in north Texas so, all our roads are straight and flat. Have fun and ride safe.
Old May 23rd 2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Banned

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299 Base
I think shilling has officially converted from BMW
Thanks from ScrapperX
Old May 23rd 2015, 10:14 PM   #4

I Ride: 2015 Panigale R, 2018 XDiavel S
Originally Posted by 80shilling View Post
The whole experience keeps getting better and better.

I took a 120 something mile ride up the coast today, concentrating on evaluating each characteristic of the bike. Engine, handling, brakes, electronics, suspension.

Each time I convinced myself that the brakes were what was the most outstanding, or the engine, or the suspension, I changed my mind after concentrating on the next characteristic.

The brakes are fully bedded in and easily the best I have experienced on a motorcycle. Powerful, good initial bite without being too grabby, progressive as you squeeze them... Very nice control available in all phases of braking.

The suspension works incredibly well. I am running in dynamic mode and for the roads around me, I run in default settings; any harder and the bike doesn't absorb the bumps, any softer and it makes the bike a bit loose for my tastes. I added some preload at the rear and it helped make the bike feel more balanced. I went from 28 mm to 24 mm of sag and that seems to be right for me. The front, I have kept at 35 mm of rider sag.

The wheelie control keeps working really well, I have learned to trust it and just stay on the gas.. Level 2 or 3 seems best for the street.

Finally, the engine. I really got to ride the bike hard for the first time today and I mean really hard, as far as street riding (for me).. Not track hard, but pushing my limits I put on myself to keep my street riding sane. The engine is a freaking marvel... If you ride the bike and keep the engine "on the boil" as we would say back home in Scotland, it is a phenomenon... If the revs never fall below, say 6,000 rpm, there is never a single moment where the bike is short on thrust.. Instantaneous, immediate, thumping hard thrust.

The traction out of corners is mind-blowing.. With the engine bellowing around 7,000 rpm, you get LAUNCHED out from the apex of the corner... There is a long series of twisties on my ride, that are more like a series of medium speed chicanes all linked together than anything else I can think of calling them...

Firing out of the apex then shifting at 11,000 rpm and flicking the bike over the top and to the opposite side is effortless... All second and third gear stuff.. Trail brake hard towards the next apex, slowly reduce pressure on the brake lever as you reach the lowest point of your lean and then slowly start to apply power as your flick the bike upright, getting harder on the throttle as you fire it back out and lock your eyes forward to the next apex....

Just a brilliant machine; superbly integrated and such a feeling that you are communicating with some kind of living entity as you ride it..

I can't get enough of riding this thing.. It has character and personality in spades and it is exactly what I have been wishing for, in terms of a motorcycle.. It checks every single box for me and so far, I have not got one single thing to complain about... Not a niggle, not an annoyance, zero.
I absolutely agree with every statement. This bike is much more refined that my 1199. The pull of the 1299 is frightening fast and strong through out the whole rev range and you could feel the G's come on so strong. I actually had the balls to test the cornering ABS today and it works as advertised. Grab a handful of brakes in a lean and it just sets you up right and comes to a stop. I think it defies physics and i still don't know how this works but it does The rear end has much more traction. The only two gripes I have with the 1299 is that is has the same soft paint as the 1199 so stock up on some Maguire's cut and polish. The other gripe is that it does not open my gated community's gate when leaving. R6 and GSXR opens it no problem not sure why the Panigale won't open it. My garage door opener won't open the garage door unless i turn off the engine. Wondering if the bike has some EMI emissions.
Old May 24th 2015, 05:55 AM   #5

I Ride: 16R race bike, 13R and 1299s ..Speciale on order. American Iron Horse Custom Chopper
Originally Posted by ScrapperX View Post
I absolutely agree with every statement. This bike is much more refined that my 1199. The pull of the 1299 is frightening fast and strong through out the whole rev range and you could feel the G's come on so strong. I actually had the balls to test the cornering ABS today and it works as advertised. Grab a handful of brakes in a lean and it just sets you up right and comes to a stop. I think it defies physics and i still don't know how this works but it does The rear end has much more traction. The only two gripes I have with the 1299 is that is has the same soft paint as the 1199 so stock up on some Maguire's cut and polish. The other gripe is that it does not open my gated community's gate when leaving. R6 and GSXR opens it no problem not sure why the Panigale won't open it. My garage door opener won't open the garage door unless i turn off the engine. Wondering if the bike has some EMI emissions.
Doesn't cornering abs only work in Sport mode? It's confusing to me what works and when. lol
But it almost sounds like any dynamic stuff is shutoff in Race?
Is there a fkn tutorial or something on those settings that better explains there uses?
Old May 24th 2015, 09:20 AM   #6

I Ride: 1299 Base, FZR 1000
Originally Posted by 80shilling View Post

I just picked mine up Friday afternoon. It's a 70+ mile ride to the house from my dealer. About 5 miles from home I got caught in a typical Florida summer downpour. Like boots full of water downpour. I had put the bike in wet mode until I got used to it. After hearing my salesman brag about how good the ABS worked in Spain I said "Fuck it" and tried my hardest to get the bike out of shape. WOT, grabbing the brake as hard as I could, stabbing just the rear brake....

Not once did the scooter get out of shape. I'll never, ever consider any bike that doesn't have this style of electronics on it!

The upside was that the rain really cooled me off (it was 90+).

Shilling....

How much of a commute do you have daily? I'll be running about 100 miles round trip. Another dumb question...Do you use a tank bag or a backpack to haul anything for work? I need to put my gym crap in something small. Luckily my uniforms and steel toes can stay at work.

I'll take recommendations from anyone.

Thanks!

Chris

BTW, wet mode is slower than my Cobra...LOL...
Thanks from 80shilling
Old May 24th 2015, 09:22 AM   #7
Banned

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299 Base
I gave up on tank bags and use this when I need to carry stuff

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks from Cobradriver
Old May 24th 2015, 10:30 AM   #8

When you say you use default settings for the DES, you in race, sport ???
Gotta say you mirror my thoughts, it's unbelievable this thing,
for my first bike it's abit of a handful at times (WOT 3/4 gears, OMFG)
but it is so versatile cruising around town then banging it thru the gears in the hills via DQS is heaven

I just got to get the right settings for the DES and the bike sag setup....finding its abit soft up front when hard on the brake.
Old May 24th 2015, 10:57 AM   #9

Originally Posted by Cobradriver View Post

Shilling....

How much of a commute do you have daily? I'll be running about 100 miles round trip. Another dumb question...Do you use a tank bag or a backpack to haul anything for work? I need to put my gym crap in something small. Luckily my uniforms and steel toes can stay at work.

I'll take recommendations from anyone.

Thanks!

Chris

BTW, wet mode is slower than my Cobra...LOL...
I do almost exactly 50 miles a day on my commute. I use an Ogio hard shell backpack that carries a surprising amount of stuff.
Thanks from Cobradriver
Old May 24th 2015, 10:59 AM   #10

Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
When you say you use default settings for the DES, you in race, sport ???
Gotta say you mirror my thoughts, it's unbelievable this thing,
for my first bike it's abit of a handful at times (WOT 3/4 gears, OMFG)
but it is so versatile cruising around town then banging it thru the gears in the hills via DQS is heaven

I just got to get the right settings for the DES and the bike sag setup....finding its abit soft up front when hard on the brake.
I'm permanently in race mode. It was the same on my BMW S1000RR.. Race mode.

Where in Scotland are you Stevio? I'm originally from a wee village called Crail.

Cheers.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
100, 1299s, miles

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.