Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum


Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Ljuice26
  • 1 Post By 80shilling
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 5th 2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Ljuice26's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida

Posts: 1,505
Thanks: 1111

I Ride: 1199
1299 and 899 test rides

I took the opportunity to go to one of the best dealers in the U.S. (Melillimoto Ducati) and got to test ride their brand new 1299S. Very beautiful bike. Wide in the front, and some very subtle difference from the 1199. The first thing I noticed is how light it felt. Without having my race bike next to it to compare, it felt very light. I know for a fact my bike is light, aroun 360lbs range.

It took me a few seconds to get use to conventional shifting again, but the bikes fueling is spot on. No lurching or desitation at all. From 2000 rpm on, grab some throttle and the bike just goes. Turning the bike is effortless. And it is F***** Fast. The auto blooper is perfect and a must have now that I've sampled it.

I rode the 899 right afterwards and the owner(on the 1299S) and I got on the back road where we open them up a little and I hit first to pull right beside him and he cracked the throttle on the 1299S and started walking away, I had the 899 WOT.
Would I buy one? Yes. Am I? No. I would loose my shirt on a trade in, so I'll just refresh the engine and add some things to get it as close to an R as possible and use the extra money for an 899 race bike and more track time. I will get a chance to race against one in the next month or two, and we will see how much faster the bike is compared to mine. Great job Ducati. I wish they would invite me to their next Superbike Press Launch. I would be a great tester..... Just saying.....
Thanks from ScrapperX
Ljuice26 is offline  
 
Old Jun 5th 2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Stw
Moderator
 
Stw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Dallas.Tx

Posts: 6,383
Thanks: 2537

Originally Posted by ljuice26 View Post
i took the opportunity to go to one of the best dealers in the u.s. (melillimoto ducati) and got to test ride their brand new 1299s. Very beautiful bike. Wide in the front, and some very subtle difference from the 1199. The first thing i noticed is how light it felt. Without having my race bike next to it to compare, it felt very light. I know for a fact my bike is light, aroun 360lbs range.

It took me a few seconds to get use to conventional shifting again, but the bikes fueling is spot on. No lurching or desitation at all. From 2000 rpm on, grab some throttle and the bike just goes. Turning the bike is effortless. And it is f***** fast. The auto blooper is perfect and a must have now that i've sampled it.

I rode the 899 right afterwards and the owner(on the 1299s) and i got on the back road where we open them up a little and i hit first to pull right beside him and he cracked the throttle on the 1299s and started walking away, i had the 899 wot.
Would i buy one? Yes. Am i? No. I would loose my shirt on a trade in, so i'll just refresh the engine and add some things to get it as close to an r as possible and use the extra money for an 899 race bike and more track time. I will get a chance to race against one in the next month or two, and we will see how much faster the bike is compared to mine. Great job ducati. I wish they would invite me to their next superbike press launch. I would be a great tester..... Just saying.....

:d :d :d
Stw is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Stw
Moderator
 
Stw's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Dallas.Tx

Posts: 6,383
Thanks: 2537

Originally Posted by Ljuice26 View Post
I took the opportunity to go to one of the best dealers in the U.S. (Melillimoto Ducati) and got to test ride their brand new 1299S. Very beautiful bike. Wide in the front, and some very subtle difference from the 1199. The first thing I noticed is how light it felt. Without having my race bike next to it to compare, it felt very light. I know for a fact my bike is light, aroun 360lbs range.

It took me a few seconds to get use to conventional shifting again, but the bikes fueling is spot on. No lurching or desitation at all. From 2000 rpm on, grab some throttle and the bike just goes. Turning the bike is effortless. And it is F***** Fast. The auto blooper is perfect and a must have now that I've sampled it.

I rode the 899 right afterwards and the owner(on the 1299S) and I got on the back road where we open them up a little and I hit first to pull right beside him and he cracked the throttle on the 1299S and started walking away, I had the 899 WOT.
Would I buy one? Yes. Am I? No. I would loose my shirt on a trade in, so I'll just refresh the engine and add some things to get it as close to an R as possible and use the extra money for an 899 race bike and more track time. I will get a chance to race against one in the next month or two, and we will see how much faster the bike is compared to mine. Great job Ducati. I wish they would invite me to their next Superbike Press Launch. I would be a great tester..... Just saying.....

Stw is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Chaotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,357
Thanks: 1046

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
I think the 899 would be a great race bike...on the right tracks. The problem is with that extra 50cc, they "displaced" it right out of the MW (600cc) classes.

Which means now it has to race against the 750's. Or up against the 1000's. Then of course in HWT it has to race against the 1198/1199/1299/KTM RC8R, etc.

IMO that was a bad move by Ducati. I can't believe they couldn't utilize this new motor in an 849cc displacement instead of 899cc.

Granted, probably only 5% of these bikes actually ever make it to the track. But the additional exposure the bike could have gotten from racing against the 600's could have been big. A good friend of mine won the Daytona 200 on an 848 a few years ago.
Chaotic is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
80shilling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 946
Thanks: 789

Originally Posted by Ljuice26 View Post
it felt very light.

It took me a few seconds to get use to conventional shifting again, but the bikes fueling is spot on. No lurching or desitation at all. From 2000 rpm on, grab some throttle and the bike just goes. Turning the bike is effortless. And it is F***** Fast. The auto blooper is perfect and a must have now that I've sampled it.

Great job Ducati. I wish they would invite me to their next Superbike Press Launch. I would be a great tester..... Just saying.....
It really is just bloody wonderful. I am surprised daily by just how much I freaking love this bike...
Thanks from Ljuice26
80shilling is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Ljuice26's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Florida

Posts: 1,505
Thanks: 1111

I Ride: 1199
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
I think the 899 would be a great race bike...on the right tracks. The problem is with that extra 50cc, they "displaced" it right out of the MW (600cc) classes.

Which means now it has to race against the 750's. Or up against the 1000's. Then of course in HWT it has to race against the 1198/1199/1299/KTM RC8R, etc.

IMO that was a bad move by Ducati. I can't believe they couldn't utilize this new motor in an 849cc displacement instead of 899cc.

Granted, probably only 5% of these bikes actually ever make it to the track. But the additional exposure the bike could have gotten from racing against the 600's could have been big. A good friend of mine won the Daytona 200 on an 848 a few years ago.
The race organizers should just let it race in more classes. With the size of some of the grids, the more bikes the better the racing. I agree, I would race B SB and SS and places like Tally, Jennings and Barber would be great for the 899.
Ljuice26 is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2015, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Chaotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2015
From: USA

Posts: 1,357
Thanks: 1046

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Originally Posted by Ljuice26 View Post
The race organizers should just let it race in more classes. With the size of some of the grids, the more bikes the better the racing. I agree, I would race B SB and SS and places like Tally, Jennings and Barber would be great for the 899.
I tend to agree, but they won't do it. Can you imagine the bitching from the 600cc guys if we were to grid up beside them on something that makes almost twice as much torque?

Yep, those are the same tracks I had in mind. I think it would be great at Barber and Tally especially.
Chaotic is offline  
Reply

  Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, 899, rides, test



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Discussions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1299 and 899 test rides Ljuice26 Ducati 1299 0 Jun 5th 2015 09:09 AM
Wow rides just like me!!! The Duchess of Desmo Ducati 1199 21 Nov 12th 2014 07:28 AM
Any Michigan Rides? slow jamz East Coast 4 Sep 3rd 2014 08:57 AM
PNW favorite rides bronch Pacific Northwest 90 May 6th 2013 09:01 AM


Facebook Twitter Google+ RSS Feed