Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By McLaren12C
  • 1 Post By apeluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 10th 2015, 01:31 PM   #1

I Ride: 2018 Ducati Panigale V4
Shift tech tail-tidy install

Just purchased the shift tech tail tidy kit and it didn't come with any instructions. Any have a clue how to install this? Not only that; how do you remove the passenger foot pegs to mount the damn thing???

help...

Old Jun 10th 2015, 01:50 PM   #2

The trick, I found, is LOTS of swearing. Also, get a HIGH quality set of T handle allen wrenches. I did not have those, so I used vise grips + regular allen keys. High risk, but it worked.
Thanks from wanderlust
Old Jun 10th 2015, 01:57 PM   #3

I Ride: 1199 S
Originally Posted by McLaren12C View Post
The trick, I found, is LOTS of swearing.
I have a lawn mower that uses this technique for the starting procedures, won't start without it.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 02:18 PM   #4

I Ride: 2013 1199, 2012 Streetfighter S, ST3
Make sure when you're reinstalling the hardware to the passenger footpeg holes---use loctite---it is your friend. Keep an eye on the tightness of the two bolts for the first few rides to make sure they aren't vibrating loose....everything has a tendency to vibrate loose. Just remember that loctite is your friend.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 02:46 PM   #5

I Ride: '07 S4RS, '15 1299S
Did you check their website? My NRC fender eliminator also had no instructions in the box, but they were easily found on their site.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 06:00 PM   #6

Figured it out. Went in blind and a lot swearing, but, finally got it on. If anyone has questions on how to do it ask me.... I'm an expert on it now.
Thanks from JDBeretta
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:11 AM   #7

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by apeluv View Post
Figured it out. Went in blind and a lot swearing, but, finally got it on. If anyone has questions on how to do it ask me.... I'm an expert on it now.
I also installed one today. Was pretty underwhelmed at the fit and finish, but the general design is a good one.

Did you end up completely disassembling the tail? The four bolts holding in the stock tail...first two were easy but the last two, couldn't get to them without taking everything apart more or less. As a bike that's likely to see the track, I had figured that Ducati had designed the tail and mirrors to be removable in minutes (as BMW had with the S1000RR and HP2 Sport).

Guess not. Italians...

I'm not using my passenger pegs, but even if I were, I can't see for the life of me how the license plate frame sent along with the kit could fit. I ended up literally throwing that out and getting a generic plate holder at the local bike shop. Then a trip to Home Depot for (much) shorter M8x1.25 bolts, and I'm in business.

The turn signals are very visible. The whole unit just looks very ghetto if you look too closely at it. After buttoning everything up the first time, I found I had to recenter the unit - it's held on with a single screw in the center and (I am NOT kidding) double-sided tape.

But I haven't seen any other tail-tidy units that cleans up the tail as well as this unit does (from a distance at least), and integrates useful LED turn signals. Now, to prep the tail for the track, I just have to take the license plate bracket off and tape everything up.
Attached Thumbnails
Shift tech tail-tidy install-img_4063.jpg  

Last edited by kismetcapitan; Jun 11th 2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 07:40 AM   #8

Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
Did you end up completely disassembling the tail? T

Yep.

Installing the plate bracket with passenger pegs; I had to "carefully" bend the plate bracket outward a bit so I could reach an allen wrench to tighten the passenger pegs.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
install, shift, tailtidy, tech

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.