Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 7th 2015, 06:10 PM   #1

quickshifter on down shifts

Guys

I am concerned that my QS of the downshift is not working all of the time and seemingly never works from 6th down to 5th - I have checked the manual and cannot find anything that says the QS does not operate on a downshift from 6 to 5.

How much revs does the QS add on the downshift - it is honestly barely noticeable on my bike on most occasions and the bike certainly feels like it is bucking a fair bit.

I have triple checked the QS U/D is selected in the menu and is displayed on the screen at all times.

I mean, do you noticeably hear a pronounced rev blip or is it pretty much the revs rise only to the revs of the next lowest gear?

Old Sep 7th 2015, 07:31 PM   #2

It works in all gears and on my bike it works flawlessly... Not one single missed shift in over 6,000 miles.

The blips will match revs for you.. If you down shift from high revs, it blips quite aggressively, if you downshift from 5,000 rpm, it's very gentle and almost un-noticeable.

If yours is different, it's not working correctly.

I'm beginning to think that the number of problems each owner will have with the 1299, is directly proportional to how well or badly the initial bike prep was done. The master tech that prepped my bike took a whole 2 days to get mine prepped and it has been completely perfect, dependable and reliable. There seem to be some new owners that have a BOATLOAD of problems and I can almost guarantee you that their bikes weren't prepped professionally and properly.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 05:25 AM   #3

I Ride: '15 1299S & '08 SC1000S
I too, thought my QS downshift was faulty. There is zero info from Ducati on how to properly use it. Manual hints at how to upshift, but something must of got lost in the Italian-english translation (just like their lame ass workshop manuals). Anyways, it was just my own fear that made the QS not work. Never having had a bike with it and with no info. Even my salesman gave no help. ("um just shift it down with no clutch, I guess.").
Anyways, it's confidence that it will make it work; and it does. I had to relearn how to downshift. Practice at slower speeds. Make sure you are NOT giving the bike ANY gas; take your hand off the throttle, don't even look at it. Any amount of gas will make the QS not only not go down a gear, it will pop back up into the gear you were in. Practice, practice, practice. After not being able to QS downshift, it now works flawless. Thought it was bike. Swore it was. Nope. My fear of the unknown. Now I can clutchless downshift at high rpm's and it's flawless, but only cause I had to start from day one and relearn how to shift.

Last edited by zeaner; Sep 8th 2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 05:58 AM   #4

I Ride: 2013 1199S Tricolore, 2005 999S Track Bike
Please give us your detailed breakdown of how you deconstructed this task at hand ...
Old Sep 8th 2015, 06:18 AM   #5

I Ride: Panigale 1299
QS works flawlessly on mine.... the trouble I have now is if I try to change down with the clutch I forget to release the throttle! ( not talking high speed just slowly backing the engine revs down...)

But if you try QS without throttle....they do not always seem to like it
Old Sep 8th 2015, 02:15 PM   #6

I've had it bounce back a couple of times, I've yet to find out if it was user error I may of had the gass slightly open I can't remember but generally it's flawless
Old Sep 8th 2015, 05:18 PM   #7

I Ride: '15 1299S & '08 SC1000S
Originally Posted by Dazzpowder View Post
I've had it bounce back a couple of times, I've yet to find out if it was user error I may of had the gass slightly open I can't remember but generally it's flawless
Total user error. As I said, I was that "user error" guy. Just a hint of throttle while downshifting and the QS will stop you from downshifting faster than a good Catholic school girl on prom night.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 05:24 PM   #8

I Ride: '15 1299 Base, '15 R1, '16 Arctic Cat ZR8000RR
2,5k km's so far and not a glitch. How can you get this wrong?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 06:43 PM   #9

I Ride: Panigale 1299
Sorry...mine will downshift under gas!
Old Sep 9th 2015, 01:09 PM   #10

Originally Posted by 80shilling View Post
I'm beginning to think that the number of problems each owner will have with the 1299, is directly proportional to how well or badly the initial bike prep was done. The master tech that prepped my bike took a whole 2 days to get mine prepped and it has been completely perfect, dependable and reliable. There seem to be some new owners that have a BOATLOAD of problems and I can almost guarantee you that their bikes weren't prepped professionally and properly.
Best thing I've read on here and I agree with this 100% - I believe if every dealer spent the time it's supposed have to prepare the bikes, there wouldn't be nearly half the issues.

I bought mine from a multi franchise dealer here in the UK. The guy who sold me the bike didn't even know anything about Ducati's, he was a Suzuki sales man! The dealer I bought from was over 2 hours from me, so I haven't been back there since but used a local, Ducati only dealer and they are perfect. When it went for the first service, they told me the suspension linkage was in "aggressive" mod and not "something link" which is what it's supposed to be in. The tyres were also over inflated.

Oh and the QS on mine is perfect, it has jumped to neutral once but I bodged the shift not being used to the bike. Not had any issues with it since getting used to it, shifts up and down perfectly, even down up/down from 5th to 6th and 6th to 5th. I'd go as far as saying as that always feels like the smoothest shift of them all on my bike.

I will use the clutch if I'm just bumbling around town at lower speeds, it doesn't like being up shifted at lower RPMs but no bike I've owned has liked that, you really need to be winding on a bit to shift up but downshifting at low speed is fine for me.

Last edited by Recoil; Sep 9th 2015 at 01:12 PM.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
quickshifter, shifts