Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree51Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 8th 2015, 08:06 PM   #11

Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but if the A/F ratio is controlled by the ECU...how does allowing more air through the airbox change what's happening in the engine?
The engine has to work less hard to "suck" air into the engine, plus there's a better ram air effect when there's less restriction in the way of the airflow. It's kinda like trying to suck your soft drink through a bigger diameter straw... Easier to do and you get more per "suck"
Thanks from MMC and AmpForE

Old Sep 8th 2015, 09:35 PM   #12

I Ride: 2012 Diavel Black
Not really an accurate analogy is it? Considering how the bike controls for changes it really isn't as simple as the straw not being big enough or do you feel that's an engineer's rationale for noise restrictions?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:01 AM   #13

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Maybe a stupid question, but if the A/F ratio is controlled by the ECU...how does allowing more air through the airbox change what's happening in the engine?
also, AFR is just that - a ratio. if there's more air, to maintain the ratio you have to add more fuel. and then you have more power.
Thanks from MMC and ScrapperX
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:13 AM   #14

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Originally Posted by 80shilling View Post
Now that I have installed the Termignoni Carbon slipon, the Sprint P08 filter and the RapidBike Race module and put some real miles on it, the bike is just astounding.

I took it out on Friday morning in around 70 degree weather (about 20 degrees less than it has been recently) and had some completely clear roads that let me really ride her hard.

I'm not sure if it's a characteristic of a large bore twin engine, compared to a 4 cylinder like my BMW S1000RR, but the 1299 works best when you keep the engine spinning hard between the gears; it seems to react best to just ripping it through the gears with zero let-up. With my mods, the 1299 is FRIGHTENINGLY fast... My S1000RR WAS A MONSTER, A BEAST above 11,000 rpm, but now my 1299 is even faster... It 's BONKERS!!. Now the midrange is even MORE nuts and it takes every bit of my body weight over the front, plastered to the tank to keep the front wheel down in 3rd and 4th. Running DWC level 1, it will lift the front in 2nd and not put it down until 5th if I pin it and rip through the shifts, shifting at, or very near redline in each gear.

I have already posted my opinion on the handling and brakes, but with the changes I have made, I am over the moon happy with the 1299. It has the look, the character and the outright berserk speed that I hoped it would have, way back when I put my deposit down on faith.

Any of you who want your bike to be truly unleashed at a reasonable price, with very little screwing around, you might want to try the package I (and a bunch of others on this forum) have done... Trust me, you will be happy.
I couldn't agree more. I didn't have nice cool Bay Area weather today; Nashville was a muggy 90+ degrees, and I was commuting to clients and running errands - a job for the Multistrada. But such is my love affair is that I dumped my briefcase into a backpack and took the 1299

The power, with the midrange tuned, is astounding. Also coming from an S1000RR, it's hard to believe that here's something significantly more powerful. I have been consistently using the Tuneboy throttle map #3 (lights up the 7 when setting throttle map at startup). It really makes everything very immediate!

Power is nothing new, but if I'm not mistaken, the 1299 makes more torque than any Ducati ever made. I love surfing that torque surge, and most, most of all - the handling. Maybe Preziosi's frameless design didn't suit MotoGP, but it sure as hell works on the street (and WSBK now, come to think of it).

I am much faster on this bike, and yet I feel safer and far more in control. Especially if the next Ducati superbike is a V-4, I think this 1299S is a lifelong keeper.
Thanks from MMC
Old Sep 9th 2015, 01:30 AM   #15

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
The ECU will add more fuel to the more air received to keep the A/F ratio the same and that will equal more power, so more all around.
Thanks from MMC
Old Sep 9th 2015, 05:38 AM   #16

I Ride: 1299 Base, FZR 1000

Now the midrange is even MORE nuts and it takes every bit of my body weight over the front, plastered to the tank to keep the front wheel down in 3rd and 4th. Running DWC level 1, it will lift the front in 2nd and not put it down until 5th if I pin it and rip through the shifts, shifting at, or very near redline in each gear.

DWC on 1 is badass. Nothing like glancing at the dash and seeing 140 with front wheel off the ground. The best part is I'm waiting on cooler weather so I can gain some power. It's still mid to high 80's/low 90's most mornings.

Just a few more weeks until cooler weather!

Chris
Old Sep 9th 2015, 06:25 AM   #17

You SOB, you just cost me 100, just bought the air filter
Thanks from 80shilling
Old Sep 9th 2015, 06:30 AM   #18

Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
You SOB, you just cost me 100, just bought the air filter
My apologies for lightening your wallet and making you spend good beer money on a Motorcycle part.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 06:32 AM   #19

Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
Not really an accurate analogy is it? Considering how the bike controls for changes it really isn't as simple as the straw not being big enough or do you feel that's an engineer's rationale for noise restrictions?
more air into the engine means the ECU will add fuel and you make more power... Plus having to work less hard to make that power.

What happens if you add a MORE restrictive air filter? Will the bike make more or less power do you think?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 07:22 AM   #20

I Ride: '13 1199
more air into the engine means the ECU will add fuel and you make more power... Plus having to work less hard to make that power.

What happens if you add a MORE restrictive air filter? Will the bike make more or less power do you think?
More power!!! its working harder (sarcasm)
Thanks from 80shilling

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
happy, motorcycle

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.