Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree4Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 8th 2015, 07:57 AM   #1

I Ride: 15 1299
RapidBike Vs. Tuneboy

Hello guys looking at my tuning options and I also want cruise control! Planning on doing a filter and coring my exhaust and adding a tuner. Out of these two choices can some people give me the pros and cons. This is for a 1299 base again I would really love cruise but also I want this bike to run the best it can! Thanks for your input

Old Sep 8th 2015, 08:01 AM   #2

Old Sep 8th 2015, 08:12 AM   #3

I've used both...even at the same time. Both give very good results. I haven't hit the dyno, but the performance feels much stronger with either one.

I know RB has a lot of fans here, but if I had to suggest a drawback it would be that it adds a LOT of wiring and a LOT of connectors. Italian wiring is what it is...nearly doubling the amount of connectors could be an issue.

I'm currently trying to sort out a problem with my RB Racing. Every so often with no pattern it limits me to 5k and does this odd bucking/surging thing like its hitting a rev limiter. When I pull in the clutch and try to rev past this 5k "block" if you will, it keeps limiting it to something like 6k.

Support with RB is better. I never had an issue with my TB setup and its currently what i'm running with an Akra full system.

The cruise control is amazing.
Thanks from desmotesta and georgehitch18
Old Sep 8th 2015, 08:52 AM   #4

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
RapidBike = piggyback
TuneBoy = remap

I might have missed something, but in that case others will chime in I'm sure
Old Sep 8th 2015, 08:53 AM   #5

So I would have to use the tuneboy for cruise? I think I would like the simplicity as well. So other than support from RB Why would I choose them over TB?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
RapidBike = piggyback
TuneBoy = remap
Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
I know RB has a lot of fans here, but if I had to suggest a drawback it would be that it adds a LOT of wiring and a LOT of connectors. Italian wiring is what it is...nearly doubling the amount of connectors could be an issue.
The above is my biggest concern w/ piggyback systems like RB (or PowerCommanders). If you're troubleshooting fueling issues you've made that process way more complicated. I have a PC on my GT, no issues so far..but If i could remap my ECU w/ the PC settings I'd do it.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Really leaning towards the Tuneboy. Is it pretty easy for most tuning guys to use? Do I have to do a custom tuned dyno map or does it come pre loaded? Also can it run off a Mac computer?
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:53 AM   #8

I Ride: 2012 1199 Tricolore, 2007 Porsche GT3RS
Installed TuneBoy on my Tri a couple years back. Super easy install, integrates great, cruise is fantastic. Support from Wayne and the gang in Australia truly sucks dog eggs. Get your assistance elsewhere, and you are good to go. Bike runs better with the canned maps available from TB than the factory upmaps (I have used both Termi silencers, as well as full Termi). If you are to eventually dyno, you can completely customize the maps which is good since the maps from TB are way too rich still (had this confirmed via dyno hp run at a bike event). You will need a PC to install - I can't get mine (2 years old, they may have upgraded since then) to work with my MacBook Pro, and had to use my wife's PC - no problem then whatsoever. Good luck.
Thanks from Phl
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:57 AM   #9

Originally Posted by georgehitch18 View Post
Really leaning towards the Tuneboy. Is it pretty easy for most tuning guys to use? Do I have to do a custom tuned dyno map or does it come pre loaded? Also can it run off a Mac computer?
Do yourself a BIG favor and get a windows laptop. I went into Microcenter and bought the cheapest Windows 7 machine I could find. There are a lot of threads on here about tuneboy, and Macs are an issue.

It comes with maps, which some describe as "canned". Basically they custom tune a bike and upload that map. For an 1199 with an Akrapovic exhaust there are 3 to choose from. You can load three at a time and switch pretty easily just using the throttle and clutch lever.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 11:19 AM   #10

I Ride: 1299S, Multistrada Granturismo, Monster 796 ABS, BMW S1000RR
Tuneboy. Zero wiring, cruise control.

Support is spotty; sometimes it's great, sometimes Wayne disappears for awhile. You've really got to know how to use Windows (I don't) and be a bit computer savvy, along with meticulously following the non-intuitive instructions that come with the kit.

But being able to directly rewrite the ECU is way better than a piggyback. Troubleshooting on any piggyback system can be a nightmare and a half.
Thanks from desmotesta

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
rapidbike, tuneboy