Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree74Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 6th 2015, 04:13 PM   #1

1299s shutting off?

So I have a 1299s and recently it just began shutting off completely with no lights even while coming to a stop or while idling. It happens very random. So I had my dealer check it out and they said they had another 1299s with the same issue so they had a ducati tech tell them its most likely the downshift function thats causing cpu errors when its not really being used. They reset all the peremeters and I turned downshift off keeping upshift only and problem hasnt returned. So for anyone with this issue go with this solution first and see what happens. Battery was good to go with no issues according to them.
Thanks from OKVpanigale1299

Old Nov 6th 2015, 06:24 PM   #2

I Ride: 2015 Panigale 1299s
Originally Posted by jagducativ4 View Post
So I have a 1299s and recently it just began shutting off completely with no lights even while coming to a stop or while idling. It happens very random. So I had my dealer check it out and they said they had another 1299s with the same issue so they had a ducati tech tell them its most likely the downshift function thats causing cpu errors when its not really being used. They reset all the peremeters and I turned downshift off keeping upshift only and problem hasnt returned. So for anyone with this issue go with this solution first and see what happens. Battery was good to go with no issues according to them.

'not really being used'?
Hmm, i use the ds regularly so does that mean it shouldn't happen? weird. are they working on it? is it a software bug?
I don't like having to turn off a function to avoid bugs.

Good luck hope it doesn't return
Old Nov 6th 2015, 06:55 PM   #3

I Ride: 2012 1199
I had this happen to me once at a stop sign. Took about a minute for it to fire back up.

Removed the charcoal canister and hasn't happened since.
Thanks from b9009b
Old Nov 6th 2015, 06:55 PM   #4

I was told by my dealer ducati told them it could be a software bug and no news or update on if they will or are working on it. I do use it at times (downshift), but I guess its confused when you have the clutch pulled in and ur downshifting or in a gear coming to a stop. No idea but its wack. Im hoping they have an update next summer since it is a big feature for the 1299s.
Thanks from OKVpanigale1299
Old Nov 6th 2015, 06:57 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Pani Dropper View Post
I had this happen to me once at a stop sign. Took about a minute for it to fire back up.

Removed the charcoal canister and hasn't happened since.
This is most likely because you had the fuel tank over filled and some fuel went into the canister. Thats another issue we have to deal with. But my bike didnt take a minute or a second longer to fire up. I was able to get it running as soon as I hit the start button.
Thanks from b9009b
Old Nov 6th 2015, 08:24 PM   #6

I Ride: 1299 Panigale S - 2013 Kawasaki ZX14R and 2011 ZX10R (Track Bike)
Originally Posted by jagducativ4 View Post
This is a VERY common problem with several models in the Ducati line up. My 1299S has done it on and off since it was brand new. Dealers are aware of the problem but evidently they cannot fix it. Ducati factory has never come out with a fix so just get used to it. Mine usually only dies when it has just been running for a short time. **Once it did die on me in the middle of a turn at an intersection That was LOTS OF FUN. LOL. Another time it died on me in the middle if 70mph traffic here in Austin. Now that is scary.
My bike is currently in the shop again and this time they are replacing the entire throttle body assembly to fix another throttle sticking issue I have had since new.
I hope this will fix it once and for all.

The motor suddenly shutting off is a mostly intermittent problem and seems to get better with more miles on it but I seriously doubt it is caused by the shift sensor. If that is the case then Ducati probably would have issued a bulletin and or recall by now. I have read that some 1199 owners have the same issue and also some Hypermotards. Don't think for a minute that the dealers don't know it is an issue..

Speedy

Last edited by speedy14; Nov 6th 2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 08:52 PM   #7

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
Remove the charcoal canister ASAP. My 1199 and Hyper did this. After removal hasn't happened again.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 11:33 PM   #8

I Ride: crf450x / Gs 1200 r / 1299 base
Never had any of these problems got 6'500 miles on now , bikes spot on ��
Thanks from MMC
Old Nov 7th 2015, 01:09 AM   #9

I Ride: current: 15' panigale 1299 past: 07' R1, 92' GSXR 1100
Yea mine was like that. Funny thing is the dealer told me about it as he was going over the bike before I left. He mentioned sometimes it will slip out of the gear right when your QS finishes putting it in that gear, he also mentioned sometimes it will randomly shut off don't worry about it... Etc etc... At first I didn't care about anything negative he said because I was just so amped to go! But having to go into neutral just to start the damn thing back up is a hassle sometimes... And it doesn't like to start up in a roll... So it's just a pain when it dies at stupid times, but luckily from the past few times it's only been happening when I'm at a slow speed and I go for the clutch to go neutral to turn the Bike off... So I'm like eh... It knows it's home lol. (It now typically only happens right as I'm about to park at home) but it's about 1-3 times a week out of 20-25 times I start the bike back up so again I can live with that lol
Old Nov 7th 2015, 04:05 AM   #10

Happens some times with street riding,never on track yet. It cuts out at red lights. Just have to push the bike out of traffic and wait about 5 mins. But i can understand her,bored to the bones..

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299s, shutting

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.