Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree66Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 20th 2015, 05:33 PM   #1

2015 1199R on the street?

Ok, my flame suit is on.....

For those that have ridden the 1199R on the street, what is your opinion? Yes, I know it is a "racebike with lights" and all that, but is it reasonably streetable? Fueling is ok below racing rpm levels? Throttle isn't such a light switch that it is unrideable by an average person? When you do need to actually use the clutch, it generally behaves? Hard to get the real picture with what I can read on the net.

It has been a long time since I bought a new bike, and life events have made me realize this a good time to get "what I want." This will be a back-road bike only - no commuting, no city, minimal traffic (just to get to the good roads) and also serve to make my visits to the garage more drool worthy. Not likely to ever see a track (I know....). Hell, I would probably roll it into the living room for the winter. I have other bikes for more pedestrian duties.

I know there are better street bikes. I also know I upgrade whatever I get to the point where a 959 would be in 1299S $ territory and a 1299S would be in leftover 15R territory anyway. I just can't walk by a Panigale R without stopping to turn around and look at it. Over and over.

(point of reference, I have a lightweight car with racing seats, stiff coilovers, no radio, sport cats, etc...so I have no problem with "personality")

I'd like to ride one as a street bike. Stupid idea, or doable?

Old Dec 20th 2015, 05:35 PM   #2

I Ride: 1199 Panigale R, BMW SKRR
It is very doable. although it is not the most comfortable bike to ride around every day.

Anti -Hero travelled the world on it.

my only concern when I tried to use mine as a streek bike is the " heat" during low speed.

living in a tropical country plus the heat from my thigh is just too much. perhaps it will work for colder countries
Old Dec 20th 2015, 06:52 PM   #3

I Ride: 1299
If you're going to use it on back roads I wouldn't think twice. Especially if you can dish out the coin. It's a beautiful bike and I haven't heard one person complain that has one.

You live only once my friend. I see the seed has already been planted in your head, now it's a matter of time, because if you get anything else you will always thing what if, and I wonder how, or I should have for the extra few grand.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 07:06 PM   #4

I Ride: 2013 Panigale White, 2017 MV Agusta Dragster RC #108
Sounds like you've already made the decision. You sound a lot like me in one particular way. If you keep droolin over a particular car/bike every single time u pass by it, 99.9% chance is that feeling won't go away until u own one. And if you don't, you will always think twice about your other purchase and live with small or big regrets.

Doesn't seem like money is an issue here. Get the 15R and forget about it. I guarantee you will find reasons to make trips to the garage for absolutely no reason at all. I don't even have a garage nor do I own a 15R but even I find myself goin in the backyard just to look at mine from time to time. Very difficult not to get a hard on every time I check it out.
Thanks from cmepasu
Old Dec 20th 2015, 07:10 PM   #5

I Ride: Ducati Monster 1200
Get it. Even if it's just for a 3 mile commute to work, I'd do it. I've commuted with my 1299S since getting it(just because) and it's not unbearable(suburb roads and freeway). Clutch control has never been an issue, neither has throttle control and this is coming from a complete newb. Not once have I said, "Damn this is uncomfortable" but my Monster is definitely more comfortable(again it's relative). I've heard the BMW is more comfortable but it'll never be an Italian superbike and there's something to be said about that. Just like a Corvette might make the same numbers as a Ferrari but I'll take the Ferrari allllll day long. And twice on Sunday.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 07:22 PM   #6

I Ride: 2014 Panigale R (sold)
very doable and much fun.

but much safer and more to bike's strengths on track. street is just too dangerous..
Thanks from iamlance
Old Dec 20th 2015, 08:28 PM   #7

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
The only problem I have with my 1199 on the street is that people,go too damn slow.
Thanks from bitus899
Old Dec 20th 2015, 09:05 PM   #8

I Ride: 2015 1299 Base
I'd buy a Base and put the rest in an investment account (which is what I did) because you're not going to notice the difference on the street, but hey it's your money
Old Dec 20th 2015, 09:16 PM   #9

I Ride: Ducati Panigale S Tricolore
I use the Dragon Lady for commuting and fun. She has a race mapped ECU, full Termis, PCV with auto tune (has ten throttle maps per gear) and ride in race mode. Her fan is on a separate switch as the race mapped ECU no longer triggers it - have to make sure the side stand is up and she is in neutral when I start her as the race mapped ECU do not have those safeguards either and her throttle is super responsive to the point where you have to be wake up at all times, but she is so much fun to ride - she has already done over 24 000 km's - all fun filled.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 1199R on the street?-dragon-lady-001.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2015, 12:38 AM   #10

I Ride: '15 Panigale 1299S, '15 Triumph 675R, '14 Honda Grom, '13 Aprilia RSV4, '10 Yamaha R6, '06 Yamaha R1
Originally Posted by ultra300x View Post
I'd buy a Base and put the rest in an investment account (which is what I did) because you're not going to notice the difference on the street, but hey it's your money
Agreed.

An R isn't going to get you through the mountains or to the grocery store any better or faster than a base will. Not to mention it doesn't have the LED lights of the 1299S.

There are few bikes in the world that are worse street bikes than the 1199R. It is a WSBK Homologation special. They added lights and signals because they have to sell 1000 units worldwide to gain homologation, and you can't sell street bikes without lights. Nowhere along the line was it designed to be a good street bike.

Of course, it is your money and your life. Like everyone, you are free to do with it what you please. But there are a million other bikes that were designed for and much better suited for the street.

But as is the case with most questions on forums, your mind is probably already made up and nothing we say is going to change that. Most of the time when people post questions such as this, they are only looking for validation for the decision they have already made...and will usually ignore any advice that contradicts their already-made decision.
Thanks from bradp51 and youngR

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1199r, 2015, street