Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree17Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Arrow The test ride EXPERIENCE: Ducati 1299 Panigale

Well, I test rode one today for about 45-min. Damn near couldn't sleep last night because I was so excited.

At first I wasn't going to post, but decided to. Okay, DEEP BREATH!

Arrived to the dealer and couldn't wait to get in the saddle. Got geared-up and headed for the road.

I started out in WET mode. I begin with a small blast through town with very little traffic. The dash was showing 87F before I darted onto the freeway; a nice stretch of road to really open it up a bit. After about 15-min's on this stretch of road I was trying to take it all in and enjoy the ride. Yes I was smiling the entire time. Bike temp seemed to stay in the low 100's during the highway ride, but my ass was warming up!

So I figured I'd exit and roll through town again on some surface streets. Again, hardly any traffic and my speed was about 45-50 mph. I hit a light and had to stop. Bike is now at 190F and rising slowly. I pull over and switch to SPORT mode. Within seconds the bike is at 215F. I take off and thankfully there was no traffic and close to the highway. As I ride towards the highway the temp is slowly dropping (204F), but I hit another light before the on-ramp and it jumps back up to 215F within seconds! I was about to shut the bike off, but the light turned green and I was off! Blasted past cars and back onto the highway I went. Another 15-min stretch headed back to the dealer and it was fine until I hit the exit. Hit the off-ramp and hit a light. BAM! Temp shoots from 190F to 213F at the blink of an eye! Dealer is just around the corner so as soon as I began moving again it cooled down to 205F pulling into the dealership.

Talked to the salesman and GM about the ride and temps. Sexy bike, but I was shaking my head. I went to the dealer with every intention of taking the bike home today. Told them I really appreciated their great customer service and opportunity to ride the bike without any hassle. I was honest and told them I really needed to think hard about this. They understood.

Experienced the dreaded heat issue under the seat, but not so much inside my legs that many have posted about. I think I can deal with the engine/exhaust heat. The engine temp issue is a whole other matter that worries me. Actually it scares the hell out of me as well as other things I've read about here.

My riding position on the bike felt much different than any other bike I've ever ridden. The only way I can describe it is I didn't feel like the bike and I were 1-unit. Weird! Never felt that way on a sportbike before. To be honest it was a very uncomfortable feeling. I tried moving around on the bike to see if I could find a spot that felt different, but nothing - still the same. Felt as though I was sitting on top of the bike versus sitting into the bike (gunfighter feel) - best analogy I can use I suppose. I'm 6'1 and long arms.

Bike handled very well overall, but I wasn't able to roll through any real twisty roads due to the location and short timeline. Front brakes and engine power delivery were both phenomenal, as expected. Since my name wasn't on the title yet I didn't get on it real, real hard.

The other issue is insurance. They are raping people out here. I'll have to shop around for any Superbike I want to own. Its ridiculous.

So, the bike has lived up to what everyone here has dialoged about. Before deciding to pull the trigger I wanted to find out first-hand. No myth here; FACT!

Not sure guys. I have some deep deep thinking to do over the next 2-3 days. I have read a ton of stuff here on the 1299 and greatly appreciate it.

Whatever I decide I'll let you know.

2WF

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:13 PM   #2

I Ride: 1299
Don't get it. The heat will bother you. And I don't think you got stuck in traffic enough to feel the full effect of the campfire under your arse.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:21 PM   #3

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
2 questions..

1. Were do you live?

2. Do you wear shorts riding?
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:22 PM   #4

Originally Posted by Whoopazz View Post
Don't get it. The heat will bother you. And I don't think you got stuck in traffic enough to feel the full effect of the campfire under your arse.
We'll see man. Not sure.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:24 PM   #5

Originally Posted by b9009b View Post
2 questions..

1. Were do you live? AZ

2. Do you wear shorts riding? No. Jeans or Leathers
^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by 2WHEELFREAK; Apr 23rd 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:28 PM   #6

I Ride: 84' Short Bus, 14' 1199RM, 16' R1
Well i do not notice the heat like some say it has... Maybe I am used to it.. Just think of it this way.. on those chilly desert mornings and nights you balls and thighs will never get cold..
Thanks from Steve NZ
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Also, fully aware of all issues with this bike, or at least what people have posted, etc. Totally understand its a race bike with lights and a horn. I get it. Just comes down to what others have said......."great love affair if you want to put up with certain things." LOL
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:47 PM   #8

That I would say is a realistic assessment. I never had a twin before so i decided to build one based on the 1299. I openly admit, that I had money to smoke on this project. If a new bike of this caliber was a major financial purchase for me, and it had to accomplish all I wanted from a bike and it was my only bike, I would not buy one. I have no brand loyalty at all. I like all motorcycles old and new. I base assessments on reality not on emotional preference at all. The could be a great all around bike but off the show room floor, there are other bikes more suited towards a sane and practical selection criteria. I just came back from a Ducati thingie here in Newport Beach. Not one 1199/1299 rider didn't say that the bike is a pain in the ass in the heat dept both rider and engine. It just is. Its that simple. Weather it bothers you as an individual or not has a lot to do with psychology. If you dropped your last dime on a 30K I guarantee you that short of the bike catching on fire, your going to "man up" on the "hows the bike" question. That is not realistic. Realistic is "yea, its FN hot and a pain in the ass at times" because in stock form, it is. I love my 1299 now but I would not choose a stock 1299 over any of the other liter bikes if it was my only bike and i needed to ride it daily and I said "needed to ride" not wanted to ride. The comments that usually accompany a post like this are "hey f*$k face, if you done like it, go to the Yamaha forum" or "grow a set". Thats to be expected. Someone has ruffled the fragile feathers but reality is, an hones assessment is what someone should get based on actual data that pertains to their interests and the author of this post got exactly that. Excellent synopsis and from my own experience, accurate. Looks wise, bike is a standout for sure. Tech wise, its at the top and its solid in track form if it was built on a Monday and the tech had a full nights sleep and a decent dose of caffeine. There are a few here who got the disgruntled workers Friday's rendition.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 06:53 PM   #9

I Ride: 1299
The heat doesn't bother me personally but like you said, I do worry about the engine. It just seems to run hotter than it should and it makes me wonder what it is doing to the engine when it gets that hot. It's 100+ degrees in Kansas in the summer and I have never felt like my legs were burning, but like you said, the temps skyrocket when stopped in traffic. My 1098 was the same way and the under tail exhaust on it would really put out some heat also. Very similar to the 1299, I think it's just a Ducati thing.

As far as the riding position, I traded in a 1098 for the 1299 and thought the same thing when I first got on it. The handlebar position felt totally different and foreign. I prefer being "on the bike as opposed to being a part of the bike" so that didn't bother me, but I was nervous about the handlebars at first. But it only took me a couple of days to adjust and now it feels natural. I had my 1098 for seven years so I think it was just a matter of relearning a new position. I'm totally adjusted now and really like the riding position so I wouldn't let that be a factor (other than you being 6'1", I'm 5'9").

It sounds like you like the bike but have a couple of concerns, which is normal when dropping that much money on a toy. Tough decision, one I made in 2008 for the first time but I don't regret one day so far, even with the occasional "Ducati problem". Good luck.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 07:00 PM   #10

I Ride: 2007 S4RS (sold), 2008 1098S (sold), my wife's 2013 1199R, 2015 KTM RC390 ABS
The engine temp should be the least of your concerns. At 215 F the cooling fans cut in and prevent any further temp increases.
The seat heat is annoying but I usually ride the twisties which makes me move my behind and the heat a non-issue.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, ducati, experience, panigale, ride, test