Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree2Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:58 AM   #11

I Ride: 2015 R1 2014 HP4 2019 Vespa GTS Sold 2012 1199 S 2007 zx10r and zx6r
Originally Posted by reganc View Post
no we are lucky our local tracks don't care except maybe NYST the locals there hate the track.
ok cool i thought maybe Pocono started testing . njmp doesnt test they just built a crazy nice mx park too. safety track is 4hours from me ill just stay at njmp

Old May 4th 2016, 02:12 AM   #12

I think as the exhaust outlet points down, you get sound reflected up off the floor which could increase the tested volume.

In the UK track noise limits are getting lower all the time. Testers have advised Panigales to get engine really warm, bank the bike over as much as you can so exhaust is not pointing to the floor and with baffles that is often enough to get through.

Some tracks have banned Panigales with anything other than stock systems irrespective of the noise test!!!
Old May 9th 2016, 10:59 AM   #13

I Ride: 1299
Originally Posted by Hamos View Post
I think as the exhaust outlet points down, you get sound reflected up off the floor which could increase the tested volume.

In the UK track noise limits are getting lower all the time. Testers have advised Panigales to get engine really warm, bank the bike over as much as you can so exhaust is not pointing to the floor and with baffles that is often enough to get through.

Some tracks have banned Panigales with anything other than stock systems irrespective of the noise test!!!
Too true, I wouldn't bother taking the 1299 to any uk low noise level track day <102db, you are wasting your time.
Even with a custom baffle kit I cannot get any lower than 102 on a full system.
Old May 11th 2016, 05:46 AM   #14

I Ride: 2015 1299s, 2009 675SE
I havent taken mine to a track yet but I was speaking to a guy running a 1299 at Silverstone last year. He said the track companies he has been with dont bother now with the static test as they will fail. You go straight to the drive by. Which it generally passes. I was at Cadwell Park on monday evening with 103db limit. My stock 675 with the offical arrow can blew 100db! But some dude was how was on the full day was on a 1299 all day.

The guy from Silverstone gave me a couple of tips for static testing

If they insist on testing on the right hand side:-

1) engine map low
2) lean the bike over to the left
3) Clutch in
4) In gear

As someone has already said its quieter on the left hand side. The sound wave reverberate off the floor which compounds the situation hence the leaning over. He reckons that a lot of the noise is clutch/transmission related. in gear clutch in helps to reduce this by quite a lot. I have only tried it myself with an app on my phone and it did make a difference. obviously that isnt the most accurate tool in the world.
Old May 11th 2016, 06:12 AM   #15

I Ride: Shopping..
Does changing the engine map actually reduce the noise? I have been to Brands Hatch and Silverstone with both my 1199S and 1299S and each time have had to go to a drive past assessment after failing the static test. Last time out the guy told me it would fail before he started the static test, which we all know. It read at 108db with Akrapovic slip ons.
Once finally allowed out on track it passed the drive by, no problem. Some of the IL4s scream past at way past 108db.
No idea why they are so noisy, I just put it down to another of those 'Ducati' things but partly my own fault for fitting Akrapovics, which lets face it, are really mostly about releasing the noise rather than any more power...
Old May 11th 2016, 06:52 AM   #16

I Ride: 2015 1299s, 2009 675SE
Honestly I don't know if changing the map will reduce noise. I would assume that as your effectively dumping less fuel into the the thing then the resultant bang should be less intense and as a result the sound wave should be less booming. As I said a chap told me this he might be lying but in theory it does sound resonably plauseable. when Im home next I shall try it. The in gear/clutch in malarky does make a difference that even my reheated jet engine destroyed hearing can detect
Old May 11th 2016, 07:20 AM   #17

Laguna Seca has a 90-92db limit depending on the provider. The flapper is meant to attenuate sound in the EPA test range (~6k RPM), so in theory if you kept the bike at 6k you could pass. Not sure how feasible that is though...

One thing that the school there did with their KTM RC8s was to modify the pipes to left exit. I suppose you could make a custom pipe that came off the header, routed through a pre muffler on the right, flowed forward and made a u turn into a secondary muffler on the left hand side and then exited left.
Old May 11th 2016, 08:14 AM   #18

It seems to be common in the UK that the 1299 will pass the drive by tests, but fail the static tests.

I'm at Donington for a Ducati Track day, so I'll report how I get on there. I have a 1299 with Akra slip ons.
Old May 11th 2016, 10:11 AM   #19

I Ride: kx450f & 1199 panigale
I ride at Nyst with a full termi system on my 1199. No complaints on the noise from my bike. Some of the jap bikes are ear piercing.
Old May 11th 2016, 10:34 AM   #20

So many variables to consider. Each track is different and humidity levels and temperature can greatly affect the results.

In general, if you want to make your bike/car quieter, here are your options:

Aim the sound into the asphalt at a 45 degree angle away from the sound booth (Usually accomplished with inserts or hose clamps and shit you find in the roofing section at Home Depot.) That latter one won't work with our exhaust, of course, but is great for cars.

Tie a bunch of steel wool together using safety wire and fill your mufflers with it.

Show up to the track early and fill the lock on the sound room door with gorilla glue.
Thanks from Phl

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
discussion, noise, test