Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jun 5th 2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Tail light going on and off randomly.

Hello all.

I will first state I think it may be the tail light unit itself giving up but would like your opinions. I have the bike scheduled to have the tail light replace under warranty.

Just this week after about 4800 miles my rear tail light will go off for a few mins then come back on. I go back to the house to see if it is caused by vibrations of the bike and a loose connection. So I turn the bike off but leave the key in the on position tail light is on. I walk to my tool box to get my mag light to have a look around and in the short time I am away my tail light goes out again. So I figure ok I will just sit here not touch the bike and see if it come back on and it does. Keep in mind my tag light, turn signals and break light continue to work as normal just no tail light. Have any of you experienced this or have heard of this issue?

UPDATE rear tail light is now off more than it is on. Almost to the point that it is on only for a few mins. Everything else works as norm. Brake light, turn signals, tag light working fine.

Thanks guys

Old Jun 8th 2016, 07:05 AM   #2

Just because I really like to know how things work. I took some time yesterday to do a little testing.

What I found was interesting. I took my multi tester and tested the black and yellow wire and found that the tail light was getting a constant 12.4 volts of power while the light was drawing power and continued to turn on and off randomly.

My conclusion is that our tail lights must have a cold solder joint in them and this is causing the light to go on and off. Or there is a small circuit board in the light housing and it has a bad resistor or solder joint as well.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
light, randomly, tail