Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 16th 2016, 05:56 PM   #1

Lower Shift lever?

I've been having a lot of "fun" with adjusting the shifter on this bike over the past week. Although I am not exceptionally tall, I have long legs so like to run the shifter very low, and to further confuse things I run gp shift.

The issue I am having is the shifter will not go low enough for me. It bottoms out on the rear set during (for me with reverse/gp shift) upshifts and also the geometry with respect to the rod connecting the rearset to the shift arm coming out of the tranny is not very good/borderline not working. Does anyone sell a replacement shift lever that has better geometry to allow the shifter it to be run lower? If not, is there a full rearset replacement that does?

Also, as an FYI to everyone if you go through the effort of taking the quick shift rod off the bike, chuck it up in a vise and break loose the stupid strong loctite ducati uses you will only be rewarded with two right hand threads vs. a turnbuckle arrangement. This was really unexpected given all my other bikes had a turnbuckle for this and ducati was nice enough to provide an adjustable clutch lever stock.

Old Jul 16th 2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Drop the shifter down too low and it will scrape in a turn, putting pressure on the transmission. Lift off the throttle while this happens and your bike will downshift, potentially locking the rear and spitting you off.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 06:18 PM   #3

Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Drop the shifter down too low and it will scrape in a turn, putting pressure on the transmission. Lift off the throttle while this happens and your bike will downshift, potentially locking the rear and spitting you off.
Good info, thanks for looking out. Never had that issue before but then again I haven't ever had a bike with a quick down shifter.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 07:12 PM   #4

I Ride: 13, white 1199 S, 10 Husaberg 450FE
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Good info, thanks for looking out. Never had that issue before but then again I haven't ever had a bike with a quick down shifter.

You get track guys putting on reverse shift so at stock height, you don't have to try and get your foot under it to up shift coming out of corners with little to no clearance.

Slowing down and downshifting is done when the bike is more upright before dropping in, so clearance under is not a problem for downshifting with the foot under.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
lever, lower, shift