Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree28Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 30th 2016, 08:47 PM   #21

I Ride: 1299 Panigale-S / KTM 1290-R Superduke / KTM 690 SMC-R
Originally Posted by endodoc View Post
Translogic has a similar system in a much smaller package. You can see it on their website. The ProShift system is a bit invasive and for anything but racing, I think something like this would be a bit of a pain in the ass. You have to clutch and shift with the left hand which seems like it could be troublesome. Anyhow check out the Translogic Power Shifter. Its a much nicer package and i am sure the support is going to be a bit more robust
What do you mean with clutch and shift with left hand? You don't clutch anymore, that's the whole point.. (only from neutral to first gear..)

It is especially made for racing...

I already have the Translogic system, indeed it is nice made but servo controlled which is not fast enough. For quick shifting you need a quick transition from gear to gear.. the Translogic servo is just not fast enough and there is no gear recognition available. Due of this lack of speed while shifting the micro switch of on the shift lever got messed up and damaged. (and since there is no clossed loop system for cutting ignition or fuel you HAVE to use the Ducati QS software..)

Furthermore Translogic is not custom made specific for a Ducati. There is no bracked or support available, we had to make it ourself. (the turning power that the TL servo produces is enormous though, making a bracked was no as easy as it seems..)

It was a nice experience with TL but it just didn't do the job. At high RPM's it was not able to shift strong and fast enough.
Attached Thumbnails
New Translogic Shifter for the 1299. Finally (pics)-img_4667.jpg   New Translogic Shifter for the 1299. Finally (pics)-img_4810.jpg  

Last edited by Caribbean Rider; Jul 30th 2016 at 09:02 PM.

Old Jul 30th 2016, 09:00 PM   #22

I get that. My point was that it seems a bit weird and I use the clutch most of the time from 1st to 2nd. As far as racing is concerned, show me a GP or WSBK that is using this system. I cant find one photo of any bike not using a shift lever. For the street, this is silly and not a great idea for the longevity of your gearbox. Last but not least, something goes wrong with the servo on a ride and your shit out of luck.The Translogic system retains the shift lever for just that reason. Might as well just get a Goldwing at this point.
Thanks from Macattack
Old Jul 30th 2016, 09:13 PM   #23

I get that. My point was that it seems a bit weird and I use the clutch most of the time from 1st to 2nd. As far as racing is concerned, show me a GP or WSBK that is using this system. I cant find one photo of any bike not using a shift lever. For the street, this is silly and not a great idea for the longevity of your gearbox. Last but not least, something goes wrong with the servo on a ride and your shit out of luck.The Translogic system retains the shift lever for just that reason. Might as well just get a Goldwing at this point.
Translogic is very suitable (instead of for example a air shifter) if you have some kind of (medical) trouble shifting. It runs smooth and controlled while a air shifter just goes BAM and that's it.

And yeah, if something goes wrong during a ride with a Pani you're in trouble anyway.. You got a point there.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 01:38 AM   #24

Originally Posted by Caribbean Rider View Post
What do you mean with clutch and shift with left hand? You don't clutch anymore, that's the whole point.. (only from neutral to first gear..)

It is especially made for racing...

I already have the Translogic system, indeed it is nice made but servo controlled which is not fast enough. For quick shifting you need a quick transition from gear to gear.. the Translogic servo is just not fast enough and there is no gear recognition available. Due of this lack of speed while shifting the micro switch of on the shift lever got messed up and damaged. (and since there is no clossed loop system for cutting ignition or fuel you HAVE to use the Ducati QS software..)

Furthermore Translogic is not custom made specific for a Ducati. There is no bracked or support available, we had to make it ourself. (the turning power that the TL servo produces is enormous though, making a bracked was no as easy as it seems..)

It was a nice experience with TL but it just didn't do the job. At high RPM's it was not able to shift strong and fast enough.
That looks like the TL power shift system which is different to the OPs QS system?
Old Jul 31st 2016, 01:54 AM   #25

Im thinking the left foot seems to work pretty well for the fastest riders on the planet so I think I will stick to using the same setup and leave the electronic shifting to those paddle thingies some genius thought my car needed. Seriously. We just got a 2016 Mercedes GL 550. The thing has paddle shifters. What possessed some engineer to think that was necessary on a 6000lb SUV.This is where were at folks.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 07:17 PM   #26

Im thinking the left foot seems to work pretty well for the fastest riders on the planet so I think I will stick to using the same setup and leave the electronic shifting to those paddle thingies some genius thought my car needed. Seriously. We just got a 2016 Mercedes GL 550. The thing has paddle shifters. What possessed some engineer to think that was necessary on a 6000lb SUV.This is where were at folks.
Be prepared for some more 'engineers shit'.. as you well know Ducati is owned by Audi and the next Pani will probably have tiptronic shifting as well..

The whole point of the paddle shifter -car or bike- is 1. it speeds up the shifting process and 2. you can stay more focused at driving instead clutching, shifting and therefore move your feet, arms. Especially on a bike (for example doing the mile strip) your balance -keep your feet steady on the pegs- is very important.

Ofcourse the technique behind it is interesting as well.. part of the hobby.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 11:27 PM   #27

Yep, I get it on a competitive vehicle that has a clutch in a competitive environment. What I don't get is how any of that applies to sedans, SUV's and just about every other general commuter vehicle that has an automatic transmission and paddle shifters which seems like just about every car on the road at leas where I live. I see 4 door Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes etc with loud exhausts downshifting an automatic transmission equipped vehicle at every stop and turn. What the hell has happened to people. Im fairly confident you don't need any of the listed benefits performance shifting brings in a 35 mph residential district where most of these jackwagons want to race their starter 3 series. I get some of this stuff in EU where you actually have places you can drive a performance car or bike. Here in the states the "wanna be a race car driver" has gotten a bit out of hand.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 06:55 PM   #28

Talking

Yep, I get it on a competitive vehicle that has a clutch in a competitive environment. What I don't get is how any of that applies to sedans, SUV's and just about every other general commuter vehicle that has an automatic transmission and paddle shifters which seems like just about every car on the road at leas where I live. I see 4 door Audi's, BMW's, Mercedes etc with loud exhausts downshifting an automatic transmission equipped vehicle at every stop and turn. What the hell has happened to people. Im fairly confident you don't need any of the listed benefits performance shifting brings in a 35 mph residential district where most of these jackwagons want to race their starter 3 series. I get some of this stuff in EU where you actually have places you can drive a performance car or bike. Here in the states the "wanna be a race car driver" has gotten a bit out of hand.
I agree with you; what's the point of a state of the art tiptronic paddle shifter on a Toyota Prius with a green label? Or a six speed syncho GT transmission at your wife's 9 person Voyager soccer mom vehicle?

But hey.. we own and drive two wheel Ferrari's!

How cool is that to have a clutchless tiptronic 6 speed bullet that sets your hair on fire? (and mind you.. I live on a island that is only 39 mile long.. haha)
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 08:07 AM   #29

I Ride: 2015 1299 Panigale
are the load setting/pressure points adjustable?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 03:25 PM   #30

Originally Posted by TurboLag View Post
are the load setting/pressure points adjustable?
About everything is adjustable and tons of software settings can be adjusted. Check the description at the first page of this threat which I posted. A really cool feature is the pre adjustable automatic shift while holding the upshift button. The system will shift automatically when the pre entered and/or desired RPM is reached.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, finally, pics, shifter, translogic