Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree28Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Jul 28th 2016, 09:24 PM   #1

New Translogic Shifter for the 1299. Finally (pics)

I have had this for a while but wanted to evaluate this before I threw it out there. First lets qualify the review. Some have ridden with quick shifters in the past. Some have not. For the riders that have never used a QS before, the 1299 dual channel QS is pretty cool. For those that I have spoken to including myself who have used a good quality strain gauge QS, the Ducati micro switch unit is a bit of a mess. There have been more than a few complaints with regards to the stock QSs quirks. For me, this system with the rear sets that I chose was a far cry from what I was used to. Here are the specifics of why I pursued this and the results.

I started with the DP rear sets and the stock QS. I came from a set of Attack rear sets and a PC QS on my 1000RR. The Attack rear sets are night and day better than the DP rear sets and here is why. The Attack units ride on precision bearings. There is a dedicated arm for GP shift. The DP rear sets use a teflon coated plain bearing on the shift lever and a funky linkage set up for GP shift. The Attack units are crisp and precise with zero play. The DP rear sets are loose and sloppy and as the teflon wears, they get worse. I wanted Attack RS on this bike but they do not make them so after looking at 9 different brands, i was sold on the Lightech with some personal mods. These rear sets are fantastic.

Next it was time to the shifter. Thanks to Urs I was turned on to a unit that Translogic had made for a friend of his. It was a direct plug and play dual channel replacement for the stock 1299 unit. I contacted TL and ordered a few of them. This is the result. I have replicated the precision I have on the Honda and I have bi directional operation. I reduced the total travel of the shift linkage by 45%. There is no play in the linkage. Every shift is precise and lightning fast and the consistency is outstanding. I highly recommend this mod if your not happy with your current set up.
Attached Thumbnails
New Translogic Shifter for the 1299. Finally (pics)-img_0869.jpg.jpg   New Translogic Shifter for the 1299. Finally (pics)-img_0870.jpg.jpg  
Thanks from Wallaroo, Claymore, youngR and 5 others

Old Jul 29th 2016, 02:24 AM   #2

Is there any benefit to having just the translogic shifter kit on the standard rear sets?
Is there any mod that can be done to take out the slack on the stock rear sets/shifter setup?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 07:44 AM   #3

I just peeked at the TL and it looks promising. What kind of control do you have over interrupt time? Will is suit reverse shift and retain auto-blip?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 07:51 AM   #4

I Ride: 2013 1199S Tricolore, 2005 999S Track Bike
What is the difference between the TL and the Rapid Bike quick shitter?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 09:21 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Prince Albert View Post
What is the difference between the TL and the Rapid Bike quick shitter?
From what I've read the rapidbike is a one directional sensor so you need two sensors for autoblip.
Thanks from Prince Albert
Old Jul 29th 2016, 12:03 PM   #6

I Ride: 2016 1299s Panigale
Damn you and your tiny ass pictures!

So far.. I hate the stock rear-set / QS combo. Like you already mentioned it is waaaaay to sloppy (like the throttle was). I've converted mine to GP and changed the pin-out to reverse the sensor. However, the lever/spindle adjustment was inadequate, required me to adjust the rod on the engine splines and is still very loose/sloppy feeling.

This setup looks like it might be the way to go.. just not sold on exactly which rear-sets to go with. Lightech looks pretty nice, but I'm kinda cheap so.. :P
Old Jul 29th 2016, 07:07 PM   #7

Yes the RB shifter is single channel. This is plug and play. There are no mods for shift point time as your still going through the stock ECU. That is something cool on the RB set up. Attack used two sensors (one swapped) on their motoGP effort to get up/down shifting. Im sure you could do that with the RB setup. Just pair the wiring at the harness and it should work. Sorry about the pics. Im not that bright. If you want better pics shoot me an email. Ed@hpl.global
Thanks from Prince Albert and MotoX183
Old Jul 29th 2016, 08:19 PM   #8

I'm very interested in this setup as I am used to a strain gauge quickshifter as well and agree that the whole OEM setup is less than precise. I've swapped stock for a set of CNC Rps rearsets which helped, but am curious on the trans logic setup - does it include the required shift shafts and heim joints for a complete setup from the shift arm to the rearset arm? I am particularly interested in what you've done to remove the slop and shorten the throw by 45% as that is also one of my peeves. Any details you can provide would be helpful. The sensor itself is easy enough to find on the TL website.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 08:44 PM   #9

The sensor is a specific design for the 1299 that operates in the 0-5V range. It comes with the correct 3 pin connector to plug straight into the Ducati wiring harness. It also comes with the tie rod assembled to replicate the standard sensor length, so being pure plug and play electrically and mechanically. I just ordered the QS as I make my own rods. You can get it either way. I dont think this QS is on their site but it might be. It does carry a different part #. Yes the Lightech shift lever is specific for GP shift therefore no funky conversion linkage. The only play now in the whole system is in the shift shaft assembly itself however I do have a billet Ducati Corse cover that has a different bearing assembly in it had the billet shaft link. Once that is on the thing will have Rolex like precision.
Thanks from mquaedflieg and BradDP1299
Old Jul 29th 2016, 09:00 PM   #10

Are you running standard or reverse shift? Do you have order a different part for reverse vs standard shift?

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
1299, finally, pics, shifter, translogic