Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree18Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 15th 2016, 02:18 AM   #1

I Ride: 1299 Base
Dry clutch conversion

Okay people,

Has anyone done it? I know it's expensive, I just want to know if after doing it you noticed a performance difference? Good or bad. I figure with the amount of heat the panigale puts out, maybe that's why they went to wet clutch.

Any info, (Facts), or reasonable deductions would be appreciated.

BTW it's not for my bike, I just figured I'd ask for a buddy.

Thanks in advance
Thanks from Tfk and Briese

Old Aug 15th 2016, 04:07 AM   #2

I think you would be spending money just for he sake of spending money.
Thanks from Thamer and H31N
Old Aug 15th 2016, 04:24 AM   #3

I Ride: 1299 Base
Originally Posted by wilkson View Post
I think you would be spending money just for he sake of spending money.
It's good that I'm not the one spending the money then I do miss the look though. Who ever does do it, pls post pics
Old Aug 15th 2016, 04:36 AM   #4

I Ride: 2015 1199R
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
It's good that I'm not the one spending the money then I do miss the look though. Who ever does do it, pls post pics
you just dont need it - fun to do if you like wrenching...but if u want to ride it....leave wet clutch alone - change your oil more often if you need to feel better
Thanks from Gecko and Thamer
Old Aug 15th 2016, 05:10 AM   #5

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
I did the conversion on one bike.
It's a lot of work to do it properly, I had to build multiple pressing tools first in order to assemble everything together in a professional way. I doubt that any dealer would take the time for all the preparations.

So, if you want to do a conversion, do it yourself.

IMHO sound and look is great, clutch feels more direct than the OEM wet clutch, slip is significantly less (installed Z40 Evo GP).

I did the work back in February this year. At least at that time support of STM was shit and the installation guide was a joke

The clutch itself is really high quality, has perfect finish and fitted without any modification. I just replaced most steel screws with Ti.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the engine tends even more to stall during start due to the reduced rotational mass of the clutch.
Attached Thumbnails
Dry clutch conversion-dryclutch.jpg  
Thanks from flobrandx, RD16RR, Thamer and 4 others

Last edited by Gecko; Aug 15th 2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 06:00 AM   #6

I Ride: 2015 1199R
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
It's a lot of work to do it properly, I had to build multiple pressing tools first in order to assemble everything together in a professional way. I doubt that any dealer would take the time for all the preparations.

IMHO sound and look is great, clutch feels more direct than the OEM wet clutch, slip is significantly less (installed Z40 Evo GP).

I did the work back in February this year. At least at that time support of STM was shit and the installation guide was a joke

The clutch itself is really high quality, has perfect finish and fitted without any modification. I just replaced most steel screws with Ti.
LOL'S !!!!
Old Aug 15th 2016, 06:06 AM   #7

I Ride: ducs and a xr650l

Man!! That is beautiful!
Old Aug 15th 2016, 09:22 AM   #8

I Ride: 1299s

EDIT: forgot to mention that the engine tends even more to stall during start due to the reduced rotational mass of the clutch.
Looks damn sexy!! How much $$$ was it to complete?
Old Aug 15th 2016, 09:28 AM   #9

I Ride: 1199 SL, 1199S Tri, 1299S Anni, MV Agusta F4 750, M1200S, M696, Husaberg FS650e, Petronas FP1
Originally Posted by NorCalDuke View Post
Looks damn sexy!! How much $$$ was it to complete?
I paid EUR 2.700.- for the clutch kit including a new machined engine housing (italian vendor, found on Ebay).
Did the work myself, but took me at least 2 full days!
Thanks from NorCalDuke
Old Aug 15th 2016, 09:47 AM   #10

Performance Difference? Is this implying that your power plant and physical abilities have pushed the limits of the stock clutch? The Aruba WSBK team is using the EVR clutch and billet EVR basket.(wet) Other WSBK teams are using EVR, Sutter, STM and Corse. All wet clutches. The dry clutch looks killer for sure but i'm pretty sure if the wet clutch gets the job for WSBK, anyone on this board should be OK with it. As far as servicing it goes, I can pull the clutch plates in 10 min (literally, clutch pack removed) on the wet set up without removing any bodywork or spilling one drop of oil (do it on the side stand)so the "ease of servicing" is a rather moot point. Since I built the bike from the ground up I went with the EVR and the billet basket but any clutch is good. As far as aesthetics and just plain "bad ass" are concerned, Gecko already owns that market. I wasn't even going to try. His stuff is awesome and i would trust his feedback on how things work. Im just being practical.
Thanks from Phl, flobrandx, Gecko and 1 others

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
clutch, conversion, dry

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.