Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree24Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Nov 21st 2016, 05:40 PM   #1

Bike dying at low speed. (im going to get slammed for this)

Ok first off i know its horribly redundant but the other thread has gone weird so here is what the issue was/is at least on the bikes we have here. First they are all Mits ECUs 286.4.252.1B All 1299s. There is a clutch switch. The purpose of this switch is to 1, allow you to start the bike in gear. 2 change the fueling when the clutch is pulled in. 3 interrupt the QS function. Once the switch is activated it initiates these sequences in the ECU. My black bike has the a Brembo GP clutch lever so it needs the aftermarket switch. Like a dumb ass I was thinking logically and wired the switch like a sane person. Ducati chose to do it differently. Consequently when we first fired the bike, the ECU went bat shit. There were two speeds, idle and uncontrollable. This was quickly rectified and corrected at least mechanically however even with the switch wired correctly, the bike was not right. Seems I Fd something in the ECU. It would not toggle the fueling channel. So I just said F it and took the switch off and have ridden it like that ever since. It runs perfect However. I cannot start the bike in gear if I kill it. The fueling is not an issue. The only issue is the QS function and that seems to be most peoples issue. If im coming to a stop and pull the clutch and engage the shift lever too lightly so that it engages the micros witch, it will kill the bike every time. There simple is not enough RPM to ignore the interrupt. I can replicate this every time between any gear as long as the engine is at or close idle. So I have to be vigilant to make sure I am firm on the shift no matter what. So I called Mits. Sure enough, there is an issue with some ECU's. The QS disconnect circuit is not doing what it is supposed to do. If you have this issue, just sitting at a light and touching the shift lever just enough to engage the QS, you will more than likely kill the bike. If your holding the clutch in and coasting to a light and your clicking through the gears and your slow on it, you will probably kill the bike.I have a stock 1299 2015 right now that does this very thing. Swapping the ECU fixed the issue. Problem is that it is an intermittent issue on some bikes and is a bitch for a dealer who does not know what to look for to diagnose. For those of you having these symptoms, try turning the QS off and see if you can replicate this. Sorry for the long redundant, lackluster post. And again as i have for sure learned on this board the general disclaimer (these are my findings and results. Your findings and results may differ)

Old Nov 21st 2016, 06:23 PM   #2

I Ride: 2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S and 2016 Harley Davidson Breakout
It's a common problem with Ducati Panigale unfortunately Ducati is pretending this is not true.

It is ashamed you think other people's problem is weird except for yours just because you dont like someone who also post their problems in other threads.

Please use paragraph i can't read your post !!!
Thanks from Chill

Last edited by Alpha Male; Nov 21st 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Originally Posted by endodoc View Post
For those of you having these symptoms, try turning the QS off and see if you can replicate this.
I was following until this point. How would shutting off QS help confirm the condition? Seems like disabling the QS should fix the condition.
Thanks from Alpha Male
Old Nov 21st 2016, 08:09 PM   #4

Correct. If you are having this symptom, turn off the QS and try it out. If you do not have the issue any further that circuit is your issue. You can then start looking at the switch itself and or the connectors.
Thanks from Alpha Male
Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:02 PM   #5

Originally Posted by endodoc View Post
Correct. If you are having this symptom, turn off the QS and try it out. If you do not have the issue any further that circuit is your issue. You can then start looking at the switch itself and or the connectors.
Thanks i forwarded your post to my dealership and they have sent it to Ducati hopefully they will ok this fix.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:19 PM   #6

This is how my Ducati was fixed. Turn on QS and it would die when being gentle with the shifter. Turn it off and everything is good. Had the ecus and all replaced by my great dealer and turned QS back on and never had the issue again.
Thanks from Alpha Male
Old Nov 21st 2016, 11:27 PM   #7

Originally Posted by jagducativ4 View Post
This is how my Ducati was fixed. Turn on QS and it would die when being gentle with the shifter. Turn it off and everything is good. Had the ecus and all replaced by my great dealer and turned QS back on and never had the issue again.
Hopefully i will get mine fixed too - my dealership is very good to me but they are trying to get Ducati to give me warranty however - first they must reproduce this fault on my bikes.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 12:06 AM   #8
dvt

Does anyone have any experience with Ducati dealer regarding this issue? I have a 2015 1299S and the dealer tried to denied this by saying they have to reproduce the stall in front of them. Of course when they tried it, they gave it hella gas and it didnt die. how can i approach this. My bike died on me couple times in the middle of the intersection and almost killed me!
Thanks from Alpha Male
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 02:29 AM   #9

Originally Posted by dvt View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Ducati dealer regarding this issue? I have a 2015 1299S and the dealer tried to denied this by saying they have to reproduce the stall in front of them. Of course when they tried it, they gave it hella gas and it didnt die. how can i approach this. My bike died on me couple times in the middle of the intersection and almost killed me!
I am on the same boat my dealership wont fix it unless they could reproduce this fault and got an ok from Ducati for warranty work.
Old Nov 22nd 2016, 03:34 AM   #10

I Ride: 2016 1299S, 2010 Fireblade, 2004 RSV Mille Factory
So I've also had this happen to me a few times in the early days of ownership but it hasn't occurred since the break-in service as I tend to be more aggressive with the downshift as endodoc states in his post - DQS on for both up and down.

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bike, dying, low, slammed, speed