Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree29Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:35 AM   #31

I Ride: 2015 Ducati Panigale 1299S and 2016 Harley Davidson Breakout
I hear you guys saying you got to rev to 3 to 5k but dont you guys realize when you pull the clutch your bike will automatically go to idle speed?

How in God's world are you suppose to rev your bike while the clutch is pulled so you could change gear? you are going to wear out your clutch !!!!

It has nothing to do with the revving of the bike it has to do with pulling the clutch the bike would shut the engine off and judging by the product questionnaire Ducati knows this is their main problem.

If you own a new Ducati and have never been to an owners Ducati website i suggest you log in and see the problem in black and white on their website.

The website ask you "Was the engine shutting off is one of the reasons why you wouldn't recommend this Panigale to your friends??"

Ducati knows this problem but did absolutely nothing to recall this lemon product, i must admit though and thank Ducati for fixing my wife's bike as well as mine.

My wife took our bikes for a long ride today and she reported no more stalling problem when using the clutch (we both got new Quick Shifters and IMU on our bikes due to the fix).

By the way after 4 weeks Ducati finally gave in and gave us the new quickshifters and IMU thanks to our local dealerships that worked together along with Ducati Australia to force Ducati Italy to fix the problems on our bikes.

I gave my ride to my wife as she is too scared to ride hers so now i ended up with her bike lol (if i still have issues i am going to get rid of the 1299 for sure but definitely will never buy Aprilia they have horrible issues with their bikes too). My bike doesn't have bad stalling problem only 3 times a month at very low speed though but hers happen during while riding at speed so that's freaking dangerous and it may end up killing her.

Last edited by Alpha Male; Dec 29th 2016 at 11:45 AM.

Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:59 AM   #32
jbs

I Ride: '16 Panigale R
@Alpha Male, you seem very confident about your fix. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Sometimes you have to ride the bike for 1000s of miles (/or months) until the engine shuts off again. Also, if it were such a simple fix like updating 2 small units, I'm sure that Ducati would have issued a worldwide recall by now, or at least updated their latest 2016 models.
However this problem has been around through the past model years.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:14 PM   #33

I Ride: 1299 Panigale S - 2013 Kawasaki ZX14R and 2011 ZX10R (Track Bike)
Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
Do you still have the fuel evaporation canister on it? I was warned that the bike will stall if the evap canister gets fuel in it from topping off the tank to the lip. My bike hasn't had the canister on it since new due to this.
I've stalled mine a handful of times over the years but I believe it was due to not getting the revs up to 3-5K with a controlled clutch/throttle release. These engines are pretty racy and like to be revved as you probably already know. I imagine a bad adjustment or switch could really exacerbate the issue. Hopefully you can get a good tech to do a bunch of starts on it and see if it behaves worse than the typical bike. It'll probably take a bit of troubleshooting to nail it down such as swapping known good parts to figure it out. It will take a bit of time but they should help you chase this down. Good luck man!
Took my canister off a year ago. Not much difference. Still dies once in a while.... **Since this happens infrequently and ( albeit always unexpectedly) many people report that taking off the carbon canister helps but it may just be a placebo effect... Everyone seems to have different levels of issues with their 1299's.. I suspect it is the huge bore versus the short stroke (116mm x 60.8mm) oversquare motor design causing some of it.. it seems to just suddenly lose enough engine vacume and it probably just starves out of fuel and dies.. Just a theory , If that IS the cause then it is more or less unfixable due to the basic design of the motor..... I never have mine die on me at the track but then again I am never slowing down enough until the session is over LOL

Speedy
Thanks from Pilot
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:20 PM   #34

Originally Posted by jbs View Post
@Alpha Male, you seem very confident about your fix. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Sometimes you have to ride the bike for 1000s of miles (/or months) until the engine shuts off again. Also, if it were such a simple fix like updating 2 small units, I'm sure that Ducati would have issued a worldwide recall by now, or at least updated their latest 2016 models.
However this problem has been around through the past model years.
You're right bro and sadly i wont get to find out until June 2017 when i get my license back thankfully her bike will have very low mileage for me to fetch a good trade in price.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:29 PM   #35

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
It's not only the Panigale models. My 2008 Hyper would do it too! Added the race ecu and had it adjusted and no more stalling.
Thanks from jackgraves
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:32 PM   #36

I Ride: Anything with 2 wheels!
FWIW, I am not saying that the race ecu or the ecu adjustment fixed it. I am saying that it stopped stalling after the race ecu and the adjustment.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:38 PM   #37

Originally Posted by The Avidmoto View Post
FWIW, I am not saying that the race ecu or the ecu adjustment fixed it. I am saying that it stopped stalling after the race ecu and the adjustment.
We were about to buy TuneBoy but after our dealership told us it will void our warranty we gave that idea up
Old Dec 29th 2016, 01:14 PM   #38

I Ride: 1299 Panigale S - 2013 Kawasaki ZX14R and 2011 ZX10R (Track Bike)
Wink

Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
You're right bro and sadly i wont get to find out until June 2017 when i get my license back thankfully her bike will have very low mileage for me to fetch a good trade in price.
Good Trade in price? LOL
It will only be a good trade in in price if you consider getting less than half of what you paid for it is a good trade in.
It won't matter much even if it only has 100 miles on it.. The dealer will not want it back unless they can steal it from you and make more money on it.. They need to sell their new bikes that they have floor planned through the bank or factory etc.. ** Every month they go without selling the new bike on their showroom costs them payments/ interest on the new bike....
They don't really want to have a lot of money in a used bike when they have brand new ones they need to move out ...

Even if you trade it in to another dealer there locally they will just shop it back to the Ducati dealer to get an ACV price.... and you will not get any more for it unless they are just (over allowing) you on the ACV ( Actual cash value) of the trade in plus whatever discount they are willing to come off of the new bike..)

Alas, this is the real world of motorcycle sales... None hold their value that well but especially a $25K Ducati 1299 that has a bad reputation for lots of problems (and high maintenance costs) like a Ducati...
*The younger guys usually cannot afford one in the first place (and they sure cant afford the insurance)..

Ducati's main market is older more affluent buyers (or at least those younger buyers with good income and with good credit etc.)

I will sell mine myself some day if I ever get the problems corrected.. Otherwise it will be a albatross sitting in my garage..

Speedy
Thanks from Alpha Male and Glenn
Old Dec 29th 2016, 01:25 PM   #39

I Ride: 2015 Ducati 1299s, 2013 Triumph 675R
Originally Posted by speedy14 View Post

I will sell mine myself some day if I ever get the problems corrected.. Otherwise it will be a albatross sitting in my garage..

Speedy
You've been given the opportunity to get rid of yours here (post #46): http://ducati1299.com/ducati-1299/27...od-deal-2.html

Let's go.
Thanks from Alpha Male
Old Dec 29th 2016, 03:43 PM   #40

I Ride: 15 Pani R ( I weep a little sometimes )
On resale, I concur with comments immediately above. I would like to add however, if you market your bike to a private buyer who wants your specific bike and you can vouch for its condition, even guarantee it, and ask a fair price for what part of the experience in ownership is left for the new owner, you can sell for close to what the dealer would resell it for. I did this several vehicles in the past and prevented getting gouged by dealer and made the buyer happy by myself.
Thanks from Alpha Male

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
bike, dropped, stalled