Go Back   Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Ducati 1299 Ducati 1299 Forum - Ducati 1299 Panigale Superbike Motorcycle Forum

Thanks Tree11Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 1st 2017, 08:50 PM   #1

Ducati quality control issues

Well I'm brand-new to this, so I'll be fairly thorough...

I just purchased a 2016 Ducati 1299 base model April, 2016. About 3 months after I purchased it, I noticed a little dribble of coolant that had leaked onto the garage floor. To cut to the chase, it has been in the shop 3 times to try and solve the same leak. The dealer service manager said when he spoke to Ducati engineers in Italy, they knew what the issue before he even went into any detail, but have yet to redesign a replacement part, nor have they issued a recall or even issued a service bulletin. The dealer replaced the "squirter"... and replaced what they called the thermostat housing.(from what I've read, these are the same thing)
I literally hired an attorney to look into the lemon laws in my state, so I haven't picked up my bike since they "fixed it", yet again.

My chain rubs against the swingarm also... The dealer says that's "normal".

The display panel has had some kind of a smudges under the plastic cover since it was brand-new... The dealer said they would replace it under warranty, but that they wouldn't really suggest that because someone might suspect mileage tampering when I got ready to trade it or sell it... I agreed.

The engine has died when down-shifting before stop lights, and at some lower RPM's in parking lots three or four times since it was new.

I'm assuming that the problem with the temperature shooting up to 236-240, CONSTANTLY at stoplights, was also a consequence of the coolant leak.

To say the least, I'm not a happy camper...
I've owned used Japanese bikes, and a new Triumph, and if I combined all of their issues together, they don't even come close to this new 1299's plethora of issues.
Being that this is my first Ducati, I'm not the least bit impressed with the quality. I thought Ducati had their crap together in the 21st-century...

All that being said, I do realize that this one bike is not representative of every 1299 built, nor is it representative of Ducati's brand quality in whole. But Jesus, really?? I've read about more problems with this particular bike on this forum than I've ever read about any singular bike before.

Any thoughts?

Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:00 PM   #2

I Ride: 1299R FE and a Pikes Peak
you need to go to a different dealer and get the issues taken care of, thats a cop out.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:12 PM   #3

Yeah, I kinda thought so too. Unfortunately, the next closest dealer is over two hours away.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:16 PM   #4

I Ride: Panigale R | Streetfigther 848
Originally Posted by LameDuck View Post
Well I'm brand-new to this, so I'll be fairly thorough...

I just purchased a 2016 Ducati 1299 base model April, 2016. About 3 months after I purchased it, I noticed a little dribble of coolant that had leaked onto the garage floor. To cut to the chase, it has been in the shop 3 times to try and solve the same leak. The dealer service manager said when he spoke to Ducati engineers in Italy, they knew what the issue before he even went into any detail, but have yet to redesign a replacement part, nor have they issued a recall or even issued a service bulletin. The dealer replaced the "squirter"... and replaced what they called the thermostat housing.(from what I've read, these are the same thing)
I literally hired an attorney to look into the lemon laws in my state, so I haven't picked up my bike since they "fixed it", yet again.

My chain rubs against the swingarm also... The dealer says that's "normal".

The display panel has had some kind of a smudges under the plastic cover since it was brand-new... The dealer said they would replace it under warranty, but that they wouldn't really suggest that because someone might suspect mileage tampering when I got ready to trade it or sell it... I agreed.

The engine has died when down-shifting before stop lights, and at some lower RPM's in parking lots three or four times since it was new.

I'm assuming that the problem with the temperature shooting up to 236-240, CONSTANTLY at stoplights, was also a consequence of the coolant leak.

To say the least, I'm not a happy camper...
I've owned used Japanese bikes, and a new Triumph, and if I combined all of their issues together, they don't even come close to this new 1299's plethora of issues.
Being that this is my first Ducati, I'm not the least bit impressed with the quality. I thought Ducati had their crap together in the 21st-century...

All that being said, I do realize that this one bike is not representative of every 1299 built, nor is it representative of Ducati's brand quality in whole. But Jesus, really?? I've read about more problems with this particular bike on this forum than I've ever read about any singular bike before.

Any thoughts?
do you have any photos mentioned above? You should replace the display IMO and when you do sell it, just let the buyer know.

Coolant issue has been known for this bike. some gets it and some dont. I have seen many personally. if it leaks to the ground...thats a problem. most just have some on the casing and mostly because of high temp...Panigale dont like high temp. I did a full track day and no leaking for example. But next track day with little high temp, I had some drips from the drip hole on casing but very little

You mentioning about high volume of issues...I disagree. It is same people saying same thing over and over and complain about it just about every post.

There is some gaps on your details. So after dealer supposedly did something, did you have leak again?

You said 3 times. so it leaked every time after is what I am assuming.

What is the dates on all these. (like basic timeline) . When was last time you talked to them and they supposedly did something?

Last edited by youngR; Feb 1st 2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:17 PM   #5

Yeah, I kinda thought so too. Unfortunately, the next closest dealer is over two hours away.
this is subjective but 2 hours is nothing to me.

I drive 4-5 hours if I know the dealer service is top notch...which I do instead of dealer that is 15 mins away.
Thanks from rm4two
Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:23 PM   #6

Yeah, it leaked every time after they said it was fixed.
The timeline was: first leak was noticed at about 90 days, they said to monitor it it could just be pressure relief from the factory overfilling the radiator... so I monitored it for about another 2 to 3 weeks, and called them back to come pick it up and try and fix it. That was sometime around the first week of September I think. They kept it for a couple of weeks from what I remember running it through heat cycles and changed out what they called the thermostat housing... The second time was in October, about a couple of weeks after I got it back from the first time... The third time was in November just a couple of days after I got it back from the second time... it was in the shop for a total of at least 6 weeks or so, cumulatively
Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:24 PM   #7

Yeah but that's the problem, I don't have a clue if that dealer down there two hours away from me is any good at all
Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:35 PM   #8

Yeah, it leaked every time after they said it was fixed.
The timeline was: first leak was noticed at about 90 days, they said to monitor it it could just be pressure relief from the factory overfilling the radiator... so I monitored it for about another 2 to 3 weeks, and called them back to come pick it up and try and fix it. That was sometime around the first week of September I think. They kept it for a couple of weeks from what I remember running it through heat cycles and changed out what they called the thermostat housing... The second time was in October, about a couple of weeks after I got it back from the first time... The third time was in November just a couple of days after I got it back from the second time... it was in the shop for a total of at least 6 weeks or so, cumulatively
ah ok Thanks.

I will send you PM.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 09:36 PM   #9

Ok thanks
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:50 PM   #10

Change the display I got mine changed on my Multistrada DVT ask them for a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ducati Forum > Ducati Panigale Forum > Ducati 1299

Tags
control, ducati, issues, quality

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.